PDA

View Full Version : Random Icon wackiness

Rob_0126
08-02-07, 07:40 PM
For a month or too, When I open windows explorer(WinXP HE), and see the graphics, they change from time to time. When I start windows, and look, they are switched to some other icon. I scanned for trojans and viruses to no avail.

This cant be normal. Is this another M$ feature?

roadrun777
08-02-07, 08:02 PM
For a month or too, When I open windows explorer(WinXP HE), and see the graphics, they change from time to time. When I start windows, and look, they are switched to some other icon. I scanned for trojans and viruses to no avail.

This cant be normal. Is this another M$ feature?

Congratulations! You have found another M$ feature... I have seen this happen quite a bit. You can delete the icon cache and reboot to fix this most of the time. I forget the name of the file, but your keyword here is "icon cache".
If after rebooting and letting it rebuild, you still get funky icons you may be in for a long dig into the registry to find the issue (ahhh, good luck). (nana2)

Rob_0126
08-02-07, 09:28 PM
Congratulations! You have found another M$ feature... I have seen this happen quite a bit. You can delete the icon cache and reboot to fix this most of the time. I forget the name of the file, but your keyword here is "icon cache".
If after rebooting and letting it rebuild, you still get funky icons you may be in for a long dig into the registry to find the issue (ahhh, good luck). (nana2)

hmph, googled up an interesting fix. Just change the color depth on the desktop, and it rebuilds the icon database and fixes the problem. :cool:

Thanks for the search tip. :)