PDA

View Full Version : UT3 Interview w/ Mark Rein

Marvel_us
08-03-07, 12:18 PM
Mostly talks about the PS3 version so I put it in the console section.

Nothing that new from what we've heard before but still a good read. Glad to see they're doing dedicated servers from day 1.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/03/joystiq-interviews-unreal-tournament-3s-mark-rein/http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/03/joystiq-interviews-unreal-tournament-3s-mark-rein/

Camp0rz
08-03-07, 05:29 PM
Pretty cool that the ps3 will support mods. It just sucks how strict Microsoft is about what is put on live and what isn't.

btw, what does he mean by this:
"Level" is a little deceiving now because, with the streaming system that we have, a level isn't just one map anymore.

streaming system?

ENU291
08-03-07, 07:16 PM
A big benefit to using the UE3 is that it can stream HR textures and map data with ease. You can basically play an entire game from start to finish with very minimal load times or load screens.

|MaguS|
08-03-07, 07:22 PM
A big benefit to using the UE3 is that it can stream HR textures and map data with ease. You can basically play an entire game from start to finish with very minimal load times or load screens.

Why wasn't this used in Rainbow Six Vegas... man that game had long load times...

ENU291
08-03-07, 07:52 PM
Why wasn't this used in Rainbow Six Vegas... man that game had long load times...
I actually think that R6:Vegas is not using a pure UE3 engine (UE2.5 dev then ported to UE3 towards the end of cycle). As per why UBISoft didn't decide to stream in level and texture data I really don't know. I guess that's a question that might get a decent response on the UBISoft community forums.

|MaguS|
08-03-07, 07:54 PM
I actually think that R6:Vegas is not using a pure UE3 engine (UE2.5 dev then ported to UE3 towards the end of cycle). As per why UBISoft didn't decide to stream in level and texture data I really don't know. I guess that's a question that might get a decent response on the UBISoft community forums.

I blame the PS3, its the only logical reason.

ENU291
08-03-07, 08:19 PM
Hahaha... well since Vegas first came out on the 360 then ported to the PS3 we'd HAVE to blame M$ for all that damn loading! :D

|MaguS|
08-03-07, 08:25 PM
Hahaha... well since Vegas first came out on the 360 then ported to the PS3 we'd HAVE to blame M$ for all that damn loading! :D

Nope, Thats too logical... It's the PS3s fault, Bill Gates told me himself.

Lyme
08-04-07, 01:16 PM
Mark gave wishy-washy answers to:
-Will ps3 users be able to play against the pc.
-Will the ps3 version support a keyboard and mouse.

Marvel_us
08-04-07, 01:28 PM
Mark gave wishy-washy answers to:
-Will ps3 users be able to play against the pc.
-Will the ps3 version support a keyboard and mouse.

True but they were honest and he didn't over promise. After the interview he checked with one of the devs about kb/m support and he confirmed that it will be in there.

Lyme
08-04-07, 04:44 PM
True but they were honest and he didn't over promise. After the interview he checked with one of the devs about kb/m support and he confirmed that it will be in there.

nm.. http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=574996