LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 06:32 PM
Check it out:

http://www.alienware.com/main/system_pages/area51-m.asp

What ever happened to AMD? LOL.

PCarr78
07-28-02, 06:45 PM
AMD...

would you really want a notebook that burned your lap after running at load for a few minutes?

Stick with low-heat PentiumIIIs!

LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 06:54 PM
You have to make sacrifices to use the best. Haha, well, if your polyester pants start to melt from the heat of the notebook, then you have a good point, but c'mon, it isn't even that hot, wuss. jk, haha!:D

PCarr78
07-28-02, 06:57 PM
That notebook looks nice though.

Price is prohibitive, to say the least

LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 07:03 PM
Yeah it is, but that is how it is with most new high end Notebooks.

FlashMasta
07-28-02, 07:17 PM
I'm surprised that the hard drive is so small and slow...the notebook I got about 18 months ago has the exact same hard drive (same 40GB drive from IBM).

There's very little to be excited about with that notebook except for CPU speed. You could get virtually that same laptop 18 months ago, but with a 1ghz P3 processor and a M4 GPU....and it didn't require excessive cooling :)

LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by FlashMasta
I'm surprised that the hard drive is so small and slow...the notebook I got about 18 months ago has the exact same hard drive (same 40GB drive from IBM).

There's very little to be excited about with that notebook except for CPU speed. You could get virtually that same laptop 18 months ago, but with a 1ghz P3 processor and a M4 GPU....and it didn't require excessive cooling :)

Then it is not virtually the same notebook as 18 months ago. With a new CPU you need a new mainboard, also, it has a new GPU and sound. New chasis, new screen, new alot of stuff, this all makes for the case around the notebook to be changed also, needs more power, so that changes too, more ram and ports and accesories. The only thing that is the same I guess is your hard drive, but then again, you could always buy a new one. But don't worry, you're still cool.....:D

FlashMasta
07-28-02, 07:50 PM
Same screen, ports and accessories...you're right on the kind of RAM and motherboard (I still wouldn't trade my BX board).

Its just hard to get excited about something that's evolutionary rather than revolutionary (anybody can up the processor speed, add more RAM, etc.).

And that neon green looks awful....looks like you're holding big box of snot :)

LORD-eX-Bu
07-28-02, 08:39 PM
You're right about the ports, sorry, lol, but the screen is differenct, check the website. You can always change the colour, lol, good observation.:D

FlashMasta
07-29-02, 10:51 AM
I've got a 15" UXGA screen, BTW :) Compaq's had those for their laptops for nearly 2 years now.

PCarr78
07-29-02, 11:11 AM
There havent really been any advances in that department , sadly.

de><ta
07-29-02, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
AMD...

would you really want a notebook that burned your lap after running at load for a few minutes?

Stick with low-heat PentiumIIIs!

burned my laps, thats okay, but there are other heat sensitive devices which are located in the vicinity of my lap.:D

Nah the best laptops (as they were intended) not including once which have 32 mb vid cards which deplete the battery in 5 minutes are the sony vaio's or even the apples.:D (sleek)

PCarr78
07-29-02, 11:34 AM
I was always a fan of Dell Latitudes.

I have used the c500 model. It's one of the best laptops i've ever had the pleasure of using. Extremely well designed.

saturnotaku
07-29-02, 12:33 PM
Alienware laptops are far overpriced for what you're getting, especially compared to what's available from other manufacturers. I also have a hard time dealing with the fact that their highest performance model has the desktop P4 crammed into the notebook form factor. It drains the batteries like you wouldn't believe.

And that neon green looks awful....looks like you're holding big box of snot

LOL - so very true, but their other colors look pretty nice for the most part, except for the fact you have to pay an extra $150 just for the privilege of having a different color.

I think I'll be sticking with the laptop I ordered, which coincidentally arrived this morning (too bad I'm stuck at work right now :()

Dell Inspiron 8200
P4-M 1.6 GHz
256 mb RAM
15" UXGA screen
64 mb GeForce4 440 Go
30 gig HD
DVD-ROM
Win XP Home

Those are pretty much exactly the features I was looking for and the price was at least $500 cheaper than a comparable Alienware. I've said it before, but all the customized owner's manuals and t-shirts simply don't justify the higher price in my eyes.

PCarr78
07-29-02, 05:14 PM
How heavy is it?

And how think?

Gator
07-30-02, 08:32 AM
here is my problem with this... I don't see the point in spending 3 grand on a machine with such a weak configuration. I mean the R7500 is not a powerful chip, the 8500 & GF4TI blow it out of the water. Yes this is a powerful laptop! But I don't see the need for the laptop unless its strictly business or school related. The serious gamer needs a real PC with 3x more powerful hardware at a third of the cost. Would I like this laptop if it were given to me as a gift?, SURE! But would I do any serious gaming on it... no.

In my opinion, get the cheapo laptop deals from Dell or Toshiba or something. A celeron, duron, so long as it has more than 128 ram and a working cheapo video card then am happy (when it comes to laptops) ;)

All the laptop you'd ever really need:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.asp?customer_id=19&keycode=6V772&order_code=265RL&view=1&cfgpg=2

saturnotaku
07-30-02, 09:32 AM
How heavy is it?

And how think?

I'll assume you meant how thick - it's not too bad, a little less than 2 inches.

But this sonumabeeyotch is heavy - probably about 8 lbs with the battery in. Not exactly the king of portability but it's powerful and very quiet, much moreso than my desktop. It will be very good for work as well as surfing the web at home (so as not to keep my parents awake at night because my desktop is so loud, hehe).

volt
07-30-02, 10:09 AM
edit: nevermind

-=DVS=-
08-02-02, 02:12 PM
ALIENWARE NOTEBOOKS RULE
Can't wait for R300 mobility :D :p

-=DVS=-
08-02-02, 02:13 PM
How heavy is it?

And how think?

Well its fat and heavy how else you could put P4 2gh+ and all other stuff :rolleyes:

Atrus
08-05-02, 08:09 PM
What is wrong with you man! :D The best notebook ever has an ATI chip!?! What is the world comming to?? :p

LORD-eX-Bu
08-05-02, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Atrus
What is wrong with you man! :D The best notebook ever has an ATI chip!?! What is the world comming to?? :p

Bah! I didn't notice that, I've changed the name of the thread accordingly.

Spectral
08-06-02, 09:25 AM
/me Drools

I really would love a nice powerful laptop. Too bad they cost so much.