PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL Application Crash: 8800GTS

ZapperJet
08-03-07, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I just bought myself a BFG 8800GTS 640mb OC video card, which will be my very first nVidia card (all others have been ATi). So excuse me if I don't know some things.

Anyway, for some reason after installing the latest nVidia ForceWare drivers (162.18) I cannot open any OpenGL applications. For example, if I open Blender3D (free-3D Modeler) it will black screen and close to desktop. If I run Trainz Railroad Sim 2006 in OpenGL mode, it will crash to the desktop as well.

I continue to fail the OpenGL rendering test in GLView (it crashes too), and I have tried to revert my drivers back to the 157.xx with no avail.

All other DX9 apps run fine (BF2142, Oblivion, etc) with amazing performance and stability. But all OpenGL applications will crash on loading.

My full system specs:

AMD64 X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb OC
2GB Corsair DDR2-800 RAM
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard (590 Chipset)
Creative X-Fi 24-bit
Windblows XP Service Pack 2 Professional
ForceWare 162.18 Drivers

All previous ATi Drivers have been removed prior to the installation of my new card. I assure you, there is nothing left so do go saying that I need to reinstall Windblows! :headexplode:

Cheers,
John

spaceigg
08-03-07, 01:44 PM
well why dont you try a different version of the forceware drivers?
I have the exact same card you have but I dont have any issues with OpenGL and I had an ATI card before having my GTS.. again perhaps trying a different version of the drivers could help

ZapperJet
08-03-07, 01:53 PM
I tried the 158.27 drivers from Guru3D. Nothing changed. :thumbdwn:

Cheers,
John

Revs
08-03-07, 02:01 PM
U sure u have totally removed all the old ATI and nVidia drivers?

ZapperJet
08-03-07, 02:34 PM
U sure u have totally removed all the old ATI and nVidia drivers?

All previous drivers and registry keys have been removed. There are no drivers left from my old system save the X-Fi drivers.

Cheers,
John

ZapperJet
08-04-07, 10:14 AM
I assume the lack of replies means that no one has any clue as how to fix the problem.

I've looked it up all over the net and I can't find anything substantial about it. I know there is a thread a few threads down from this one concerning the same problem (OpenGL crashes after 10 seconds, same here).

My father's PC running a 7600GS 512mb PCIe and the 162.18 runs Blender3D and other OpenGL applications just fine, including the GLView render test.

I've checked that all OpenGL files are available, and that I am running OpenGL 2.1.1 as well. I

So.... why did my previous ATi X800XT run OpenGL and my 8800GTS does not?

Cheers,
John

Logical
08-04-07, 11:27 AM
I assume the lack of replies means that no one has any clue as how to fix the problem.

I've looked it up all over the net and I can't find anything substantial about it. I know there is a thread a few threads down from this one concerning the same problem (OpenGL crashes after 10 seconds, same here).

My father's PC running a 7600GS 512mb PCIe and the 162.18 runs Blender3D and other OpenGL applications just fine, including the GLView render test.

I've checked that all OpenGL files are available, and that I am running OpenGL 2.1.1 as well. I

So.... why did my previous ATi X800XT run OpenGL and my 8800GTS does not?

Cheers,
John

Why do DOS games not work on XP ? :)

ZapperJet
08-04-07, 12:11 PM
I don't know if this is any help, but when I first installed my 8800GTS and ran the driver installation (162.18) everything worked correctly. I then loaded Blender3D, and it worked fine, for a few minutes. It then proceeded to crash and took my system with it. After rebooting, OpenGL applications no longer worked.

Cheers,
John

Eliminator
08-04-07, 09:59 PM
when you removed the ati drivers... did you use driver cleaner and cab cleaner?

ZapperJet
08-04-07, 10:21 PM
when you removed the ati drivers... did you use driver cleaner and cab cleaner?

No, I uninstalled it via the installer, then manually removed the registry keys.

Cheers,
John

Eliminator
08-04-07, 10:29 PM
No, I uninstalled it via the installer, then manually removed the registry keys.

Cheers,
John
well what are you waiting for ;)

grab it here http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

ZapperJet
08-05-07, 09:53 AM
I just uninstalled all drivers, cleaned them using that program, and reinstalled them. Still no OpenGL.

Something tells me that this is a problem on nVidia's side of things.

Cheers,
John

PS, I know I'm not alone in this. Other people seem to be having problems as well: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=22959

ZapperJet
08-05-07, 02:13 PM
Well guess what fixed the problem, the 163.14 drivers! I don't know why they worked, but they did!

Thanks for you help anyways!

Edit: Well, it works, but Blender is very unstable, often causing system crashes. I need to fine tune the settings. Maybe that'll help.

Cheers,
John