PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard & Mouse support in UT3 for PS3 :-)

Lalander
08-04-07, 05:25 AM
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=574996

Marvel_us
08-04-07, 11:03 AM
Can't wait to see how the implement it without being gimped. UT3 on PS3 is going to be crazy with this and the mod support.

Badboy_12345
08-04-07, 12:13 PM
that has been confirmed years ago :p

Marvel_us
08-04-07, 12:30 PM
that has been confirmed years ago :p

Not exactly. It was more of a, "we'll see what we can do", answer. There was a recent interview with Mark Rein not being sure if it was supported or not.

Bman212121
08-04-07, 02:37 PM
Awesome news!! I think I might go out and pre-order it for my PS3 then. :captnkill:

bugmeplz
08-04-07, 10:12 PM
can ps3 players play vs PC players?

|MaguS|
08-04-07, 10:16 PM
can ps3 players play vs PC players?

That is unknown right now, They are still thinking about it. I think they should give the option and just add a filter option in the server browser.

bugmeplz
08-04-07, 10:27 PM
if they did, i guess they would need to limit the frames for PC? assuming ps3 gets 30 fps, im not sure how that would work..

|MaguS|
08-04-07, 10:34 PM
if they did, i guess they would need to limit the frames for PC? assuming ps3 gets 30 fps, im not sure how that would work..

Why would you? More frames doesn't give any advantage, as long as the PS3 version doesn't have slow down it should be equal ground.

bugmeplz
08-04-07, 10:46 PM
more frames doesent give an advantage? well, if you mean 200 frames over 100 frames sure, but if you imply that 60 frames offers no advantage in a FPS over 30 frames im going to imply youre wrong.

|MaguS|
08-04-07, 11:00 PM
No its just that you believe you have an advantage but if a game is programed good it can look and feel just as good at 30fps as it does at 60fps.

I played Quake 3 on the DC vs PC users and it was just fine, it all depends on how well the game is done.

MaUiLoCaL
08-04-07, 11:40 PM
I will admit that this is fantastic news for PS3 owners. That is for certain.:D

Lyme
08-05-07, 10:30 AM
No its just that you believe you have an advantage but if a game is programed good it can look and feel just as good at 30fps as it does at 60fps.

I played Quake 3 on the DC vs PC users and it was just fine, it all depends on how well the game is done.

Quake 3 had a fixed game tick of 30ticks a second, and the graphics would sync to that. With the sound of the way the Unreal engine is worked, the system tick is set per system and the faster it is the better.

SeriTonin
08-05-07, 11:14 AM
Well, this news pretty much made the 360 version, worthless.

|MaguS|
08-05-07, 11:27 AM
Quake 3 had a fixed game tick of 30ticks a second, and the graphics would sync to that. With the sound of the way the Unreal engine is worked, the system tick is set per system and the faster it is the better.

I dont think thats the case, that would make even playing on the PC unfair since well a faster PC would give you more frames now wouldn't it? It has to be universal among all systems (PC) so I don't see why they can't make the PS3 version match it.

Lyme
08-05-07, 12:35 PM
I dont think thats the case, that would make even playing on the PC unfair since well a faster PC would give you more frames now wouldn't it? It has to be universal among all systems (PC) so I don't see why they can't make the PS3 version match it.

To make cross gaming a option epic would have to make the tick rate the same across systems, this would require making the pc tick slower and thus make the pc version of the game less responsive. (response times are directly linked to tick rate, you cannot have response times faster than a tick).

|MaguS|
08-05-07, 12:39 PM
To make cross gaming a option epic would have to make the tick rate the same across systems, this would require making the pc tick slower and thus make the pc version of the game less responsive. (response times are directly linked to tick rate, you cannot have response times faster than a tick).

I understand that but your reasoning in the beginning was that it will be faster if you have a faster system. So by that reasoning it would be unfair when someone who has an AMD/7800GTX rig is playing someone who has a Core2/8800GTX. Wouldn't that be the same situation as if a PC player vs the PS3 player? I don't see why they can't make the tickrate fair for both version, not too fast but not too slow. I mean UT was never as fast as Quake was.

bugmeplz
08-05-07, 03:01 PM
I understand that but your reasoning in the beginning was that it will be faster if you have a faster system. So by that reasoning it would be unfair when someone who has an AMD/7800GTX rig is playing someone who has a Core2/8800GTX. Wouldn't that be the same situation as if a PC player vs the PS3 player? I don't see why they can't make the tickrate fair for both version, not too fast but not too slow. I mean UT was never as fast as Quake was.

yes, depending on the game, an 8800gtx player would actually have a very definite advantage over a 7800gtx. you can limit the rate like in doom3, where any frames over 60 were tossed(in effect, not sure technically what they did), but unless the ps3 version is going to run at 60fps i dont see that as helping things a whole lot

|MaguS|
08-05-07, 03:06 PM
yes, depending on the game, an 8800gtx player would actually have a very definite advantage over a 7800gtx. you can limit the rate like in doom3, where any frames over 60 were tossed(in effect, not sure technically what they did), but unless the ps3 version is going to run at 60fps i dont see that as helping things a whole lot

FPS has nothing to do with what Lyme is talking about... and no an 8800GTX player would not have an advantage over a 7800GTX user other then that he would have less likely change of getting performance issues. But if they were not suffering performance problems then they would be on equal footing.

bugmeplz
08-05-07, 03:12 PM
FPS has nothing to do with what Lyme is talking about... and no an 8800GTX player would not have an advantage over a 7800GTX user other then that he would have less likely change of getting performance issues. But if they were not suffering performance problems then they would be on equal footing.

sure, why i specified "depending on the game." if you honestly dont feel someone running at 60fps has a huge advantage over someone running at 30 fps in a first person shooter than youre welcome to that opinion, but im confident youre way in the minority.. anyways enough on that topic

npras42
08-05-07, 06:23 PM
sure, why i specified "depending on the game." if you honestly dont feel someone running at 60fps has a huge advantage over someone running at 30 fps in a first person shooter than youre welcome to that opinion, but im confident youre way in the minority.. anyways enough on that topic

I know you said "enough on that topic" but just because he's probably in the minority doesn't mean he's wrong.

Its certainly not a huge advantage playing at 60fps vs 30fps when online. Its a pretty small one as long as its fixed at that frame rate and all other things being equal. I'm not saying there is no advantage or that its not noticeable (it is) but its not "huge".

However, varying tick times (as they put it) between systems is a HUGE advantage for the player with the faster system. It would mean for example that the person on a slower system would run say 50 yard in 8 seconds where as the guy with the uberfast system would run 50 yards in 5 seconds... Now that may be kinda extreme, but if you look at the range of PCs out there in the gaming community you never know.

Bman212121
08-05-07, 07:56 PM

I'm pretty sure that the tick rate in UT03/UT04 is set on the server and the clients become forced to that rate. I always set the server to a tick of 75 and it brings the game to a new level because you don't have to lead quite as much since everything is more responsive. It is very noticable on any pc I've played on that it has been changed, but I never set anything on the clientside. The other advantage to having the tick so high is that it reduces the ping times by 5 ms or more since it takes less time for the server to process data since it doesn't wait as long. The only downfall I can see is actually not your fps, but sometimes the tick can make it harder for players with higher pings.

I know for a fact that COD2 forces it from the server since I've played with that a little more recently, and you can actually see what values are being set. Quake 3 is a very old game so it probably isn't the best example of newer titles. I've never run a Q4 or Doom 3 server so I'm not sure if they changed it, but I'm guessing yes because COD2 runs on a very similar setup to the Q4 engine. (I think it is the same basic setup, but modified a little for activision)

I really don't see there being a big difference between playing UT3 on the PS3 and on the PC when running the game stock. The devs will know exactly what to set the PS3's graphics level to provide smooth gameplay and good fps. The problem I can see is when a modder creates a custom map, but doesn't feel the need or can't test it out on a PS3 and PC. On a pc you can always turn down settings if someone makes a map that runs like crap, but it will be interesting to see if you can change the detail levels on the PS3 or not. I can't say as I've seen a console game that allows you to change much for your graphics, so this could be where the PS3 users would get shafted.

Lyme
08-06-07, 11:24 PM

Your confusing "tick rate" and "fps", and Magus and I are simple in agreement that it is unlikely that the PS3 will be able to support as high a tick rate as the PC.

Further to this, when you have a low tick rate generally the lower performing platform can perform just as well at the performance platform as they both need to sync to the low tick rate. However if you have a high tick rate, while the high performance platform should be able to keep up, the lower one when it converts the tick rate into frames per second will undoubtedly loose some ticks in the conversion.

Bad_Boy
08-13-07, 10:25 AM
very good news.

M&KB > Controller any day of the week.