PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Lite

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
08-04-07, 08:02 AM
I'd never given these much thought, but I was just looking at them today at the store. They seem to have a lot of cool features, and when I played one a couple years ago it seemed pretty fun (I really enjoy using the touch screen to play games).

So I decided to check them out online too and MAN I'm really impressed with some of the things you can do with the NDS. There arent a whole lot of DS games I'm real interested in (though the portable stuff id software is working on sounds awesome, like Quake Arena), but the features and flexibility of the system are really impressive. I'm a huge retro-gaming fan, and there are some pretty nice looking emulators for the DS that would allow me to play SNES and NES games on the go. There is also a version of SCUMMVM for it that will run some awesome old point and click adventure games like Sam & Max and the Indiana Jones games.

I'm really considering getting one since they aren't real expensive and I've been wanting a new gadget to play with. I have a few questions though. Its been surprisingly difficult to find all the info I want on this little thing.

What kind of movies\videos can this thing play and how is the video playback? If it can do it, I'd like to rip some DVDs or shows (obviously at low res and using compression...) and watch them on the DS. Which brings me to...

Storage. What kind of storage devices does the DS Lite support and how big can they be? Can I use USB memory sticks? Or does it take SD cards directly?

Is internet browsing with a Wi-Fi connection free, or do I have to buy a program to do this? Also, does it work well, or is it clunky\slow?

And above all, how happy are you DS Lite owners with your handheld? It looks like it could do anything I'd want it to do, its just a matter of how well it works.

Thanks for any feedback. :)

EDIT: One other thing... I read somewhere that you could get memory upgrades for the original DS. Is it possible to do this with the DS Lite as well?

EDIT2: Ah, looks like I'll need one of these to use micro SD cards.
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/games-n-music-new-mass-market-homebrew-device-for-nintendo-ds-54840.html

This one sounds much better though:
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog/M3-DS-Simply-p-2553.html

Or this :o
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Ds-R4-Revolution-Lite/dp/B000OM58OM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7040089-5721512?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1186234966&sr=8-1

Which one is the best? :p

Zelda_fan
08-04-07, 11:11 AM
There is no removable storage. All your save games are saved to the cartridge itself.

There is a browsing cartridge you can buy for like $25, but I've heard it is really slow and clunky, and I personally wouldn't buy it.

The DS is a gaming machine. If you want a portable multimedia center, buy an iPhone. As far as a gaming machine goes, I am extremely happy with it. There is a reason it's STILL the highest selling console (even above the Wii).

marqmajere
08-04-07, 12:21 PM
R4DS + homebrew. Look into it.

CaptNKILL
08-04-07, 06:36 PM
R4DS + homebrew. Look into it.
Now thats what I'm talking about. I just looked it up and it sounds freaking awesome. :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to order an R4DS and a 2gb microSD right now, and I'll buy a DS tomorrow morning after work. I can't friggin wait. :)

BTW, does the DS have any games or activities built into it? Or do you need a cartridge in it to do anything?

EDIT: Wow, this is cheap.
http://www.gameyeeeah.com/r4-ds-revolution-r4ds-microsdtf-slot1-solution-adapter-p-190.html

lIqUID
08-04-07, 07:15 PM
my 4 year old has one, it keeps her off my xbox.

CaptNKILL
08-04-07, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know if there are any stores in the united states that sell the R4DS? I don't want to wait 2 - 3 weeks for shipping. :o

marqmajere
08-04-07, 11:40 PM
I ordered my R4DS from Realhotstuff.com and it was here within a week. I will warn you that the mechanism that holds the micro-SD card in place in the R4 unit will probably break right away. All you need is a couple pieces of scotch tape to hold it down and you're good to go. I'd say a VERY minor problem considering what you're getting. :)

nVidi0t
08-05-07, 02:35 AM
I don't even play my PSP anymore since my girlfriend bought a DS and Mario Kart.

MaUiLoCaL
08-05-07, 03:04 AM
My wife and I really love our Nintendo DS's. Mario Kart WiFi FTW!:D

crainger
08-05-07, 07:56 AM
I looked at the DS and PSP for some portable SCUMMVM. Then I ended up with a WM5 phone and found SCUMMVM worked great on it. So if you happen to be in the market for a multimedia device that runs emulators AND can help you stay organised, a PDA might be the ticket.

CaptNKILL
08-05-07, 08:12 AM
I got the DS today. Wal-Mart has a pretty weak selection of games, but I picked up Brain Age for $20. I plan on going to EB\Gamestop later on to get something else too.

This thing is freaking awesome. I'm really impressed with the sound and picture quality for a handheld. Its comfortable and easy to use too.

I can't wait to get some more software for it. :)

BTW, this is the first "console" I've owned since my Playstation in 1998, and the first Nintendo product I've owned since my SNES in 1993. ;)

nVidi0t
08-05-07, 12:50 PM
Make sure you pick up Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros (platformer) - both are GREAT fun.

CaptNKILL
08-05-07, 07:54 PM
Make sure you pick up Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros (platformer) - both are GREAT fun.
Thanks for the recommendations. :)

Anyone else know of some really good games?

I wrote down a few that look interesting:

Lost Magic
Puzzle Quest
Glory Days 2 (I'm definitely picking this up as soon as its available, it sounds awesome)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Trace Memory

I'm mostly looking for original or unique games. Either RPGs (not pokemon...), adventure games or strategy games mostly... but if there are some really cool action games, I'll give those a try too. I wish I could get demos of some games though. I'm not usually one to drop a bunch of money on games I've never played.

nVidi0t
08-05-07, 08:28 PM
Animal Crossing: Wild World is another good one. The game has a great design and works well with the DS form factor.

marqmajere
08-06-07, 03:46 AM
Hotel Dusk
Phoenix Wright games
Puzzle Quest
Mario Kart
Super Mario Bros.
Animal Crossing
Castlevania games

Those are some of the best.

zoomy942
08-06-07, 03:04 PM
CLUB HOUSE GAMES

coolest game ever. i also agre with New Super Mario and Mario Kart. Tetris DS is pretty badace also

Tr1cK
08-06-07, 03:05 PM
CLUB HOUSE GAMES

coolest game ever. i also agre with New Super Mario and Mario Kart. Tetris DS is pretty badace also

+2 (wife loves it too)

My other favorite is Bust-A-Move DS. It never has been implemented so well until now.

Hex
08-06-07, 04:00 PM
Not sure if you are into the rpg thing or not but if you are, Etrian Odyssey is a must buy.
Game has had me locked in for a while now.

CaptNKILL
08-06-07, 05:03 PM
Not sure if you are into the rpg thing or not but if you are, Etrian Odyssey is a must buy.
Game has had me locked in for a while now.
I just looked it up. It looks pretty cool but I have a real hard time staying interested in RPGs without a good solid story and characters to back it up. From what I've read this is pretty much a constant dungeon crawl. I don't think its for me.

Thanks for the suggestions though. :)

I just called everywhere around here to find Glory Days 2 and no one has it. I freaking hate this area. Within 20 miles we have an EB\Gamestop, 2 Wal-Marts and a K-Mart. None of them have the game. Its really irritating because I think its been out in most places for almost a week, while EB is lagging behind and says it doesn't ship till today... which means the stores don't have it yet.

*sigh*

No games for DS = me sad. :(

Moo
08-06-07, 05:13 PM
Get Puzzle Quest and say goodbye to all of your free time. ;)

CaptNKILL
08-07-07, 10:34 AM
Wow this town sucks ass... the only place that caries DS games (including rental stores) is Wal-Mart and if you want anything but Pokemon or Nintendogs, you're out of luck.

And in the next closest town, we have an EB and an FYE and neither of them are carrying a game thats been available online pretty much everywhere since the 31st. :retard:

I just ended up ordering Glory Days 2 from walmart.com and using my associate discount. I'll have it some time between tomorrow and friday. $42 for a $30 game. :(

Tr1cK
08-07-07, 10:42 AM
I LOATHE pokemon!

CaptNKILL
08-07-07, 11:08 AM
*sigh*

I really want to play a war game on my DS hooked up to my car stereo system. The DS has surprisingly awesome sound quality for a hand held. I played Brain Age on my Z5500 and in my car and the goofy techno music is real clear and the bass is nice and thumpy (it better be with a 12" infinity sub and a 312W amp :p).

Tr1cK
08-07-07, 12:18 PM
the bass is nice and thumpy (it better be with a 12" infinity sub and a 312W amp :p).

I wonder if it would like my 1000 into 2 12s? :D

CaptNKILL
08-08-07, 04:13 AM
I wonder if it would like my 1000 into 2 12s? :D
Your head would probably 'splode all over the inside of your car. :D

BTW, Glory Days 2 should be here later today if UPS can stick to their schedule. Remind me never to even bother trying to get a game locally anymore. From now on I'm ordering online with fast shipping, no matter what. Shadowrun is the only game I've purchased at a store in years and that was an impulse buy.

Its pretty sad that I can have games sent to me from hundreds or thousands of miles away and receive them at my doorstep before any stores within 40 miles of here even get them in stock. :p