PDA

View Full Version : Do hard discs just stop working?

Jon
08-04-07, 08:41 AM
Have had my WD 500gb sata drive for < 3months and it was working just fine. Then today, it failed copying a file to it and after I can't read or write anything to/from the drive. If I try to copy a file to it, the drive just disappears from windows. Event viewer shows lots of warnings and errors for the drive:

"The device, \Device\Harddisk2\D, has a bad block."
"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation."

Before today, no errors, no warnings, nothing. Windows error checking fails trying to scan and repair the drive. I tried data lifeguard tools, but they don't appear to work for sata drives! HDTune can't access the drive at all to health check it.

I tried a brand new sata cable also, but same problem. Also, on a couple of reboots today, it was missing from the post screen.

I have done an advance RMA with WD but am worried they will send me a new drive and then return the old one saying nothings wrong with it.

CaptNKILL
08-04-07, 09:25 AM
Have had my WD 500gb sata drive for < 3months and it was working just fine. Then today, it failed copying a file to it and after I can't read or write anything to/from the drive. If I try to copy a file to it, the drive just disappears from windows. Event viewer shows lots of warnings and errors for the drive:

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation."

Before today, no errors, no warnings, nothing. Windows error checking fails trying to scan and repair the drive. I tried data lifeguard tools, but they don't appear to work for sata drives! HDTune can't access the drive at all to health check it.

I tried a brand new sata cable also, but same problem. Also, on a couple of reboots today, it was missing from the post screen.

I have done an advance RMA with WD but am worried they will send me a new drive and then return the old one saying nothings wrong with it.
Sounds pretty dead to me. You should be fine with the RMA.

RAY16
08-04-07, 12:24 PM
I'd say that Hard Drives usually don't fail over night, it's normally a steady and relatively slow decline in performance followed by read/write errors and then the eventual death of the drive.

Looks like you got a lemon, though. I don't see why they wouldn't accept an RMA on it, but I'll wish you luck anyways.

BashfulTux
08-04-07, 01:41 PM

I have RMA'd at least a half dozen WD they never bother contacting you about the drive as long as they get the old one back make sure you ship it by a method that can be tracked so you know and have proof they get it. On a side note I have given up on WD drives I have had too many fail on me ...

Jon
08-04-07, 02:13 PM
I have RMA'd at least a half dozen WD they never bother contacting you about the drive as long as they get the old one back make sure you ship it by a method that can be tracked so you know and have proof they get it. On a side note I have given up on WD drives I have had too many fail on me ...

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I've never had a problem with WD until recently when I've had troubles with an external drive and now this one failing for no reason. Luckily I've just bought a pair of seagate drives so I can wait for a replacement.

On a side note, I've tried the WD drive on another PC and it still has the same problems, so its definately the drive.

MikeC
08-04-07, 07:17 PM
I have RMA'd at least a half dozen WD they never bother contacting you about the drive as long as they get the old one back make sure you ship it by a method that can be tracked so you know and have proof they get it. On a side note I have given up on WD drives I have had too many fail on me ...I personally have never had a problem with WD drives. What type of drives have you switched to using?

evilghost
08-04-07, 07:21 PM
Yes, drives do wholesale fail. I've had logic controllers as well as spindle motors die. It's like an unlucky lottery, there is really no rhyme/reason to it. Some people (such as myself) believe that powering down the drive and bringing it up (such as power management) shorten the lifetime of a drive.

The drive may be fine but have other issues. See what the S.M.A.R.T values are. You may be able to perform a low-level format and not have to purchase another drive. A low-level will usually take care of it unless there is physical damage to the platters/heads (usually as a result of heat or shock) or an issue with the logic controller.

grey_1
08-04-07, 07:51 PM
I personally have never had a problem with WD drives. What type of drives have you switched to using?
I'm curious too. I haven't used anything but WD for at least 6 years with no problems. *knocks on wood*

BashfulTux
08-04-07, 07:57 PM
I personally have never had a problem with WD drives. What type of drives have you switched to using?

I went with Seagate after my last pair of WDs failed the drive I have in my machine now has been going for pretty much a year non-stop 24/7 with all kinds of disk access without a hitch. I use to go WD all the time but in the last 3-4 years I don't think I have one that ever made it through the warranty without failing so I had to give up on them.

|MaguS|
08-04-07, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I have had two drives just die for no reason except for age and it seems a third will be joining them soon...

nV`andrew
08-04-07, 08:16 PM
never had a seagate fail me, one has been running strong for 4 years, the other is about a year and a half old

Jon
08-05-07, 06:09 AM
What is most worrying is the fact that the drive was working fine about 1 hour earlier then its completely gone. I couldn't even copy my data from it. Quick formatted it ok but still couldn't copy files to it. Not sure what has gone wrong with it, but its not even recognised by the bios anymore!

evilghost
08-05-07, 07:07 AM
What is most worrying is the fact that the drive was working fine about 1 hour earlier then its completely gone. I couldn't even copy my data from it. Quick formatted it ok but still couldn't copy files to it. Not sure what has gone wrong with it, but its not even recognised by the bios anymore!

Sounds like the logic controller fried...

Jon
08-06-07, 04:46 AM
Sounds like the logic controller fried...

The weathers been really hot the last couple of days. The hard drive is mounted at the very top of the case so its getting heat from all the other components, is it possible the heat killed it?

evilghost
08-06-07, 06:48 AM
The weathers been really hot the last couple of days. The hard drive is mounted at the very top of the case so its getting heat from all the other components, is it possible the heat killed it?

You bet :)

ENU291
08-06-07, 07:36 AM
I purchased a brand new 500gb Seagate around Christmas time and dumped about 260GB worth of files onto it. In April the damn drive gave up the ghost on me! I lost everything. Needless to say, I will NEVER buy another Seagate HD again. That rude awakening made me spend the extra money and get a NAS enclosure running a RAID 1 array. WD is my drive of choice now.

DRen72
08-06-07, 07:38 AM
Hmm. I just bought a 500GB Western Digital SATA drive and a backup of the same brand & size. Here's hoping they have a long life.

ShiningArcanine
08-06-07, 04:24 PM

I had a WD3200JB that started to fail on me. It gave no indication of starting to fail until one day when I checked the system logs and noticed that there were many hard drive errors. I then checked the SMART status and sure enough, it was failing. I did a RMA with Western Digital and I was able to copy all of my files off of it; it was still operational when I sent it to Western Digital.

Anyway, did you check your drives' SMART status or your system's logs in the days leading to the failure?

Jon
08-07-07, 03:46 AM
I had a WD3200JB that started to fail on me. It gave no indication of starting to fail until one day when I checked the system logs and noticed that there were many hard drive errors. I then checked the SMART status and sure enough, it was failing. I did a RMA with Western Digital and I was able to copy all of my files off of it; it was still operational when I sent it to Western Digital.

Anyway, did you check your drives' SMART status or your system's logs in the days leading to the failure?

The SMART status still thinks the drives fine. Whats most strange about it is, the hard disc was inside my media centre PC... I was watching a film, the film froze. Until that time there was no errors or warnings in the logs, and no other indication anything was wrong. After the freeze, the hard disc was not visible in the bios or in windows until after 3-4 reboots. It was all downhill from there!

LurkerLito
08-07-07, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to recommend that anyone whose drive seems to just die try to recover the files on it with a linux boot disc like Unbuntu or Knoppix. I have found that they can pull a whole lot more data off the broken drive than Windows based utilities. When one of my HDs died, no Windows based boot disc like ultimate boot disc for windows or BartPE could copy the data off the drive. But under Knoppix I got about 95% of the files off the drive.

Since it was out of warranty I low level formatted the drive did a full format then check disk and bad block check on the drive and it came back to life. I wouldn't trust the drive with any important data but it seems to be working again.