PDA

View Full Version : recommend a good gaming headset.

Pages : [1] 2

Smee
08-04-07, 07:08 PM
Non USB
Currently using Plantronics gamecom 1 but I find it a bit uncomfortable after a few hours.
Prefer it have a boom mic (This is whats holding me back from the Icemat black siberia)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Smee
08-05-07, 02:28 AM
No one has a headset they like? :p

nVidi0t
08-05-07, 02:41 AM
I use a desktop microphone (3.5mm jack) since I use Sennheiser HD cans. Any specific reason you are avoiding USB? There are some great USB sets which are comfy and reasonably well priced.

Smee
08-05-07, 03:05 AM
I use a desktop microphone (3.5mm jack) since I use Sennheiser HD cans. Any specific reason you are avoiding USB? There are some great USB sets which are comfy and reasonably well priced.

I had the USB version of the Plantronics GameCom.
They sounded nice, but I have a nice speaker set up connected to my X-fi, and changing back and forth was a pain. I like that my speakers default back when I unplug my headset (3.5mm)

Unstable_Hero
08-05-07, 03:08 AM
http://www.medusa-usa.com/shopping_cart.php?cPath=191&sort=2a

j0j081
08-05-07, 07:32 AM
hd555s and an external mic. most of the so called gaming headsets are rips.

hirantha
08-05-07, 08:22 AM
in GRAW2 Deathmatch i can hear enemies sneaking in, next think they know "bang" "bang"..nothing like 5.1.... can headphones do that?

Single Player
08-05-07, 08:46 AM
that's something

eDimensional Audio FX 3.5mm/ USB Connector Circumaural Force Feedback Gaming (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836504001)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836502004"]Turtle Beach TBS-2110-01 Circumaural Earforce HPA 5.1 Surround Sound Headset (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836502004)

j0j081
08-06-07, 04:18 AM
in GRAW2 Deathmatch i can hear enemies sneaking in, next think they know "bang" "bang"..nothing like 5.1.... can headphones do that?
yeah in fact most decent headphones are better for positioning than speakers.

Gnaddel
08-06-07, 05:02 AM
I'm using a Sennheiser headset since a couple of years. It has brought me through WoW and a lot of other teamspeak heavy games. The microphone quality is excellent and the sound is also more than sufficiant for gaming.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC151-Headset-Cancelling-Control/dp/B000NOR89Y/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-5255597-5491821?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1186393920&sr=1-2
or
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Gaming-Headphone-Microphone-Combination/dp/B0008EWRD6/ref=sr_1_16/103-5255597-5491821?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1186393803&sr=8-16

Redeemed
08-06-07, 05:08 AM
yeah in fact most decent headphones are better for positioning than speakers.

:wtf:

I'm quite confident my 5.1 setup will trample any high-end headphones out there. For a quite environment where you can't blast your 5.1 sound system- sure headphones are superior. The speakers are right up next to your ears so even at lower volumes you can still hear things better.

But there is no way any pair of headphones can match a dedicated 5.1 (or greater) A/V reciever combined with decent speakers. Now, if your comparison was to standard PC speakers I'd pretty much agree. But since it was worded in the form of a blanket statement I have to assume you were including a dedicated 5.1Ch A/V reciever.

Heck, just using the 5.1 anolog out on my mobo to my reciever sounds comparable (to me) to most movies I watch. Granted, I'm too busy focusing on the actually gameplay to notice the flaws in the audio and positioning. Regardless, I can easily hear when somebody is sneaking up on me and from precisely which direction they are coming from.

Nothing beats a good night of CS:S or FEAR with a good A/V receiver pumping out the sound at a really high volume. Grenades actually have bass that vibrates things, gun shots really do go "BOOM", a truck driving by (in the game) actually causes a ton of bass that rattles crap in your room- it really is an awesome experience. ;)

de><ta
08-06-07, 05:32 AM
http://techgage.com/article/icemat_black_siberia/

Very comfortable even after 6+ hours. Also the sound is awesome.

Gnaddel
08-06-07, 06:19 AM

I'm quite confident my 5.1 setup will trample any high-end headphones out there. For a quite environment where you can't blast your 5.1 sound system- sure headphones are superior. The speakers are right up next to your ears so even at lower volumes you can still hear things better.

Sure, a 5.1 system can create a more entertaining sound, but, imo, it's not really the way to go in online gaming. Especially in teamwork intensive games that require a lot of voice communication a headset is my way to go. People who do not use p2t and a headset with a good microphone are plain disturbing in a large ts2 channel, e.g. 40 players in a WoW instance prior to the addon. The Headset is necessary to prevent game sound from being spread in the voice, I guess everyone knows why p2t has to be used .... ;)

Also, I personally have my 5.1 system to watch movies on the TV, resulting in a very suboptimal postion for the PC (next to the FR speaker, actually).

nekrosoft13
08-06-07, 06:40 AM

i'm sorry dude, but good set of headphones will create a better Surround sound enviroment.

j0j081
08-06-07, 07:07 AM
well I meant a typical decent speaker system to not a really expensive setup.

de><ta
08-06-07, 07:59 AM
Non USB
Currently using Plantronics gamecom 1 but I find it a bit uncomfortable after a few hours.
Prefer it have a boom mic (This is whats holding me back from the Icemat black siberia)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

At first I too did not like the fact that the black siberia had a clip on mic, but later on I found out that it really does not matter too much. It clips on rather well to your t-shirt or collar and the voice over quality is decent.

Redeemed
08-06-07, 11:47 AM
i'm sorry dude, but good set of headphones will create a better Surround sound enviroment.

I highly doubt this. Part of that environment is realistic effects from the audio. An no pair of heasets can accurate replicate a truly realistic sounding gun shot, reverb, vibration, and all. When's the last time your headset caused your floor to rumble from the bass or you to feel a thud against your chest normally caused by a sudden kick from your subwoofer?

If you know how to setup your A/V reciever correctly, it really is in leagues above any pair of headphones.

As for the TV issue I don't give a hoot for TV. My reciever is hooked up to my PC, and each speakers is placed appropriately in relation to my PC.

Burner_Tbird2
08-06-07, 01:53 PM
I highly doubt this. Part of that environment is realistic effects from the audio. An no pair of heasets can accurate replicate a truly realistic sounding gun shot, reverb, vibration, and all. When's the last time your headset caused your floor to rumble from the bass or you to feel a thud against your chest normally caused by a sudden kick from your subwoofer?

If you know how to setup your A/V reciever correctly, it really is in leagues above any pair of headphones.

As for the TV issue I don't give a hoot for TV. My reciever is hooked up to my PC, and each speakers is placed appropriately in relation to my PC.

They're talking about surround sound information quality. I've played the BF series on both high end speakers and my Razer 7.1 headset and there's no comparison. With Speakers you can tell where a sound is coming from within about 25-45 degrees of precision (ie there's something behind me). With a headset you can tell not only where a sound is within a few degrees but also how far away it is before even turning around.

A speaker setup is good for immersion and ease of use, but when it comes to a tactical advantage a good headset beats speakers every time.

Headset Recommendation:
Razer HP-1:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153002

These are my third pair of headsets and are by leaps and bounds better than anything I've used previously. Only drawback is a low bass response. The headset was made specifically for PC gaming, surround sound, and supports 7.1.

PS- If you do get a high end headset you probably want to look into a decent sound card to go with it.

Redeemed
08-06-07, 02:01 PM
They're talking about surround sound information quality. I've played the BF series on both high end speakers and my Razer 7.1 headset and there's no comparison. With Speakers you can tell where a sound is coming from within about 25-45 degrees of precision (ie there's something behind me). With a headset you can tell not only where a sound is within a few degrees but also how far away it is before even turning around.

A speaker setup is good for immersion and ease of use, but when it comes to a tactical advantage a good headset beats speakers every time.

Headset Recommendation:
Razer HP-1:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153002

These are my third pair of headsets and are by leaps and bounds better than anything I've used previously. Only drawback is a low bass response. The headset was made specifically for PC gaming, surround sound, and supports 7.1.

I still doubt that. I have no problem telling how far behind me something is. Heck, just playing Lost Planet yesterday I was amazed at how easily I could hear everything that was going on behind me... and even pick out how far away something was (such as a giant Akrid running towards me, or one of the pirates).

Understand that I am in no way trying to bash headsets- they're a must for late night gaming. They just don't compare to a good A/V reciever with good speakers (again, I'm not comparing headsets to PC speakers, I'm comparing headsets to a A/V surround sound reciever and good quality speakers, same setup that is typically used in a living room for movies and TV- instead using it for your computer).

Gnaddel
08-06-07, 03:24 PM
It isn't about "realistic" gun sounds, nor about a rumbling floor, but about the ability to hear shades of sound, and my experience is that headphones are a real advantage in that aspect.
That doesn't actually mean that it's more fun to play with a headset than with a good 5.1 setup, perhaps it's actually quite the opposite. But when it comes to competetive gaming in a fps, the headset will allways be my choise because, for me, the fun thing about playing such a game is to win.

Redeemed
08-06-07, 03:43 PM
It isn't about "realistic" gun sounds, nor about a rumbling floor, but about the ability to hear shades of sound, and my experience is that headphones are a real advantage in that aspect.
That doesn't actually mean that it's more fun to play with a headset than with a good 5.1 setup, perhaps it's actually quite the opposite. But when it comes to competetive gaming in a fps, the headset will allways be my choise because, for me, the fun thing about playing such a game is to win.

That's the thing- everything is crisp on clear on my 5.1 setup. All shades of sounds. There's no way you're trying to tell me that the headphones have a greater fidelity... I'l pray not.

The biggest plus for the headsets is that the drivers are litterally right there in your ears practically, thus it seems to amplify even the slightest of noise. That doesn't mean the 5.1 setup isn't producing the same sound... after all both the headsets and 5.1 setup get the data from the same source. The difference is the 5.1 setup can cover a broader frequency range at a higher db and wattage than the headset ever will be able to. Furthermore, the fidelity the 5.1 setup will offer (assuming you're using a good one paired with good speakers and not some junk-0 special from K-Mart) is non-comparable to the headset and is going to be of greater quality. The difference is you do need to use the 5.1 setup at a higher volume than the headset due to the speakers not being inside your ear as the drivers almost are with a headset. ;)

Gnaddel
08-06-07, 05:28 PM
I actually have what I would call a decent 5.1 set (Quadral Argentum (http://quadral.com/index.php?pID=5_9&inc=produkte/set_detail.php&prodID=23)) and a AVR (Onkyo tx sr-504 (http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/product_en_4205246.html)) that is connected using my mainboards optical out (However, as mentioned, the positioning isn't focused at the pc but the tv) and.... I love it. Music, Movies, TV and everything else sounds, of course, "better" than a game using a headset.

But, I know, it's hard to understand, I'm able to play better with the headphone. You seem to be quite into home cinema, so I guess you have some experience with sound equipment and will know, it's not an absolute science and very subjective. It might also be a question of getting used to the solution. When you're used to play with a headset you'll probably be crippled if you play with a 5.1 set, and vice versa, because it simply sounds "different". I personally feel closer to the game action using the headphones.

After all, it depends on so many things. Room size, furniture, floor, I guess you've been through it. ;)

Unstable_Hero
08-06-07, 05:39 PM

But there is no way any pair of headphones can match a dedicated 5.1 (or greater) A/V reciever combined with decent speakers. Now, if your comparison was to standard PC speakers I'd pretty much agree. But since it was worded in the form of a blanket statement I have to assume you were including a dedicated 5.1Ch A/V reciever.

Heck, just using the 5.1 anolog out on my mobo to my reciever sounds comparable (to me) to most movies I watch. Granted, I'm too busy focusing on the actually gameplay to notice the flaws in the audio and positioning. Regardless, I can easily hear when somebody is sneaking up on me and from precisely which direction they are coming from.

Nothing beats a good night of CS:S or FEAR with a good A/V receiver pumping out the sound at a really high volume. Grenades actually have bass that vibrates things, gun shots really do go "BOOM", a truck driving by (in the game) actually causes a ton of bass that rattles crap in your room- it really is an awesome experience. ;)
the link i posted, the headphones have 8 independant speakers in them. I also have logitech z5300 but i only use these cause there so much better.

Gnaddel
08-06-07, 05:54 PM
Isn't a z5300 the incarnation of a "wall market system"? ;)

I've not listened to it myself though, but looking at the speaker sizes I'd guess it sounds similar to other typical "pc-systems".

ynnek
08-06-07, 06:06 PM
Hey, if you are happy, then you are happy.. However, I have to agree with Redeemed. No way can headphones ever come close to positional quality, precision, immerision, etc of what you can get with properly spaced out and placed speakers, in a quiet room.

First of all, your brain and ears naturally calculate out where sound is coming from around you by the slight delays, "crosstalk" (sound from your left thats also picked up by your right ear) and auditory cues from your two ears.

Obviously, headphones don't have the "crosstalk" and cues. It has to be simulated through processing calculation.

I laugh at multispeaker surround headphones, because its benefits of having different isloated speakers right next to your ear is pratically non existant.. Your ears and your brain just don't work like that.

Thanks to science and technology, they can come pretty damn close for most people in simulating surround sound. But compared to a properly setup 5.1 speaker system in a good room, there's no contest.

Its also why headphones shouldn't be used for final audio mixing. You miss out on the interaction of physical speaker set away from your head, and their potential phase cancellation etc etc