PDA

View Full Version : Need Help PLEASE

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 04:08 PM
Hopefully someone can come up with a quick response, im building my new computer, specs in sig.
The motherboard is a good inch shorter in length than my eVGA board. It simply will not line up correctly with the provided screw holes on the motherboard tray when using a few different I/O panels. Even without one, i can get two screws in at the top, but it leaves the bottom portion of the mobo very loose, thus not allowing the graphics card and different PCI cards to line up correctly with their slots, so i cant get them in.
I could attempt to drill my own holes in the bottom of the tray but im afraid if im off by even .01 of a millimeter the cards still wont fit properly in their slots.
So, do i need a new case for this mobo or is it simply too small? (appears to be that way)

EDIT: im probably doing something wrong but like i said even with no I/O panel it still does not fit the screw holes properly.

ENU291
08-06-07, 04:21 PM
AFAIK all standard ATX cases and motherboards have standard mounting holes. If that Gigabyte does not then you might want to RMA it. The strange thing is that based on the pictures posted at Newegg the GA-P35-DS3R seems to be using a standard mounting setup.
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-050-04.jpg

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 04:24 PM
well it looks EXACTLY like that and the packaging is the same, so i dont understand. I tried putting the eVGA one back in and it fit fine, not perfect, but stable. I have a feeling its because it is a little smaller, but it fits fine in everyone elses cases.

ENU291
08-06-07, 04:30 PM
If you put the motherboards back to back do the mounting holes line up? If they do then it might be an issue with the case itself.

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 04:41 PM
I believe i have found my problem. The motherboard is somehow a whole inch+ shorter than advertised. On newegg (i ordered from ZZF but they didnt supply the dimensions) the motherboard is 12" x 9.6". Mine is 12" by about 8.3". What should i do?

EDIT: no the holes do not line up

I'm assuming i need to RMA it through ZZF, correct?

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 05:04 PM
bump, anyone? If it needs to be RMA'd i want to have the information by today hopefully, or tomorrow. ZZF doesnt even show the dimensions, while newegg does. So is ZZF at fault, or do i need to contact Gigabyte.
Thanks

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 05:13 PM
This can't be good, the dimensions of the one i got are the same on gigabyte site. That motherboard is linked to ZZF and newegg. The link to ZZF is the same page i got it from. The link to the newegg page of that mobo still says 9.6" versus 8.3" . Am i SOL?

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 05:31 PM
Heh, seem to have got it now. There was a little trick that i just remembered from installing my last mobo. On the left side of the tray i have to let the mobo rest on one of the edges. I can't get ALL of the screws in but i got one of the bottom ones in and all the slots line up now. Still couldn't use an I/O panel but oh well, now to finish my build. thanks for the help guys

ENU291
08-06-07, 05:37 PM
Good to hear that things worked out. :thumbsup:

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 08:16 PM
Alright, i got everything hooked up, tried 2 different PSU's, and everything lights up and then shuts down. I checked all the connections. Is something dead, or is one of the connectors from the power button on the wrong pin? (i doubt that, because it turns on at least, andthen quickly shuts off)

Aurthus
08-06-07, 11:10 PM
What kind of case is this? the boards atx so it should fit any standard atx case, unless your re-using a propriety case such as an old compaq, dell, ect..

Sounds like the case is at fault for the mobo fitting problem, and perhaps the mobo is grounding out on the case where you "let it rest"

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 11:44 PM
What kind of case is this? the boards atx so it should fit any standard atx case, unless your re-using a propriety case such as an old compaq, dell, ect..

Sounds like the case is at fault for the mobo fitting problem, and perhaps the mobo is grounding out on the case where you "let it rest"

Antec P-160wf, its probably the removable mobo tray thats causing the problems. Should i try getting a new case? Or is there something else i could do? I suppose i could try booting outside of the case

Aurthus
08-06-07, 11:57 PM
ya i would try it out of the case, and take a look for any signs of arc markings (little burn spots) Although with a new build it really could be any number of things, good luck narrowing it down :)

nV`andrew
08-06-07, 11:59 PM
Will do, thanks for the replies, ill post back tomorrow morning with an update.

Mr_LoL
08-07-07, 01:17 AM
Make sure nothing metal in the case is shorting the mobo. Happened to me on this build in my sig.

nV`andrew
08-07-07, 11:58 AM
Alright, outside of the case i was a little more succesful. However the zalman fan on my cpu doesnt start up until after a few seconds. Should i try the stock HSF instead.

Anyways, just on the mobo tray it seemed to boot and stay stable, im going to hook up the monitor now.

EDIT: nvm, it shuts off now after about 5 seconds, i think it may be because the cpu fan isnt spinning off the bat, im going to put the stock hsf on for now

nV`andrew
08-07-07, 12:32 PM
Spoke too soon, doesnt even boot now, probably killed the cpu, not sure how though, seeing as the stock hsf fan was doing fine, the little screws it had went in all the way, the fan spun. Bah, this thing is giving me so much trouble, my AMD build was a breeze :p
Or maybe my first order from ZZF was tampered with :bleh:

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to set all the old stuff back up, i guess im not ready for c2d :rolleyes:

EDIT: played around with it and it booted to windows, now just to reinstall windows, and then play with it some more to get it to go in the case without the mobo being grounded

nV`andrew
08-07-07, 02:52 PM
Alright, windows installed successfully, here comes the scary part. Gonna get it in the case, hopefully it doesnt get grounded

nV`andrew
08-07-07, 04:01 PM
Just to let you guys know, posting from the new rig! I'll get pics soon once I get my Zalman HSF on, probably this weekend, and ill clean up the wiring. I got so frustrated, so now im just happy it works. Installing drivers now. Thanks for your help guys.

Aurthus
08-07-07, 04:14 PM
:thumbsup: Good to hear it's going well