PDA

View Full Version : 939 died this morning, need the cheapest Core2!

Jon
08-07-07, 03:31 AM
Pressed the power button on my sons PC this morning, fans spin, hard drive/dvd drives startup... but no beeps, nothing. Stripped out everything except for mobo and cpu. Still no beeps, no self check, nothing.

Ok, so I assume mobo and/or cpu is dead. Rather than pay out for a new 939 board only to find the cpu is gone too, I am thinking it better to just get the cheapest core 2.

The important thing is, I really can't afford anything but the cheapest of cheap. I don't want it to be fast, but it needs to be reliable. I have so far come up with these parts:

DFI Infinity P965-S Dark (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-038-DF

or

Abit IB9 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-121-AB&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=565

Intel Core 2 Duo E2140 "LGA775 Conroe" 1.60GHz (800FSB)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-151-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=793

Will prob get 1gb of crucial ram to go with it.

I realise this is not going to be the greatest setup, but I have heard mixed opinions of DFI and not sure whether I will be in a worse situation. Also, is PC5300 correct for this setup?

ENU291
08-07-07, 07:06 AM
Once you decide on the motherboard you'll need a cpu, some DDR2 memory and a PCI-E video card. MaguS is selling an E6600 Core2Duo cpu for only $160 in the Sales forum. Take a look. CPU Sale (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96027) DDR2 memory should be fairly cheap nowadays and if you have a hard time finding a decent PCI-E vid card I'd be willing to sell you a 7800GTX for dirt cheap. Just PM me. Good luck on the build. :)

DRen72
08-07-07, 07:21 AM
Didn't you also have a hard drive failure recently as well? I'd be concerned about possible power surges or something if I lost two key pieces of hardware that quickly.

Tr1cK
08-07-07, 07:34 AM
The cheapest is the e4300, which is a great overclocker. I have one @ 3.0ghz and don't regret it one bit.

stncttr908
08-07-07, 08:59 AM
The cheapest is the e4300, which is a great overclocker. I have one @ 3.0ghz and don't regret it one bit.
No, the Pentium E2140 is cheapest. It's an Allendale with 1MB L2 @ 1.6GHz (8x200). Overclocks well.

DDR2-800 would be correct for this setup to run 1:1 w/the FSB, but you'd want to OC that little bugger a bit. ;)

Tr1cK
08-07-07, 09:04 AM
No, the Pentium E2140 is cheapest. It's an Allendale with 1MB L2 @ 1.6GHz (8x200). Overclocks well.

DDR2-800 would be correct for this setup to run 1:1 w/the FSB, but you'd want to OC that little bugger a bit. ;)

I didn't know about that chip. Intel is supposed to fix their naming strategy anyways. Allendale is the same core as e4300, I thought.

Jon
08-07-07, 09:08 AM
Didn't you also have a hard drive failure recently as well? I'd be concerned about possible power surges or something if I lost two key pieces of hardware that quickly.

The internal drive failed in my PC, this is my sons PC... I have no idea what happened... we were playing co-op GRAW 2 last night, he switched it on this morning and nothing! But I am getting really jumpy about hardware at the moment!

The only thing that does make me feel better is that its an old mobo and recently there have been many unexplained blue screens (no message just stop errors). Funny enough, I was thinking last night of getting a new mobo for it then it goes overnight.

Oh right, cheers, I was looking at the wrong memory.

LT.Schaffer
08-07-07, 12:55 PM
could be a blown fuse inside the PSU....
if you have a spare PSU hook that up and try it..
Good luck.

mojoman0
08-07-07, 06:59 PM
Yea that sounds like a power supply issue to me. I had the same problem with 2 psu's. Same symptoms. Try plugging the psu into a tester if you have access to one.

DRen72
08-07-07, 08:02 PM
...Funny enough, I was thinking last night of getting a new mobo for it then it goes overnight.It must have overheard you, then packed its bags and checked out.

stncttr908
08-07-07, 10:43 PM
I didn't know about that chip. Intel is supposed to fix their naming strategy anyways. Allendale is the same core as e4300, I thought.
I agree. Just name the **** logically from the start.

It is listed as Allendale, so I'm guessing these might just be reject chips with only half their cache operable? Or maybe they just disabled it. Not sure.