PDA

View Full Version : Why don't desktop TFTs have high resolutions?

Elegy
08-08-07, 10:15 AM
I've seen 17" notebook screens with resolutions of 1920x1200, I've even seen 15" 1920x1200 screens so why is it that such high resolutions aren't transferred to desktop TFTs? The smallest screen I can find with a 1920x1200 resolution is 24"!

Is there some kind of technology limitation at work here or do companies just want to try and force people to spend more money on big screens for the high resolutions?

stncttr908
08-08-07, 10:17 AM
You'll also find though that picture quality on laptop screens are inferior. A lot are only 6-bit panels and experience a lot of backlight bleed. In fact the bleed on my Dell 1420 is so bad in low light that I thought about returning it.

Elegy
08-08-07, 10:20 AM
You'll also find though that picture quality on laptop screens are inferior. A lot are only 6-bit panels and experience a lot of backlight bleed. In fact the bleed on my Dell 1420 is so bad in low light that I thought about returning it.

That's true, but are the two things necessarily related? Do notebook screens have such high resolutions because of their inferior quality or are they two separate variables? Besides, a fair number of the cheaper desktop TFTs have 6 bit colour too and yet still offer the same low resolutions, if not lower.

Some notebook screens also have very good quality (some of the Asus models spring to mind from reviews I've read), LED backlight, etc... and still have high resolutions.

stncttr908
08-08-07, 10:34 AM
Right, I understand it doesn't really answer the question. I think it'd be great to see 17" or 19" widescreens with 1680x1050 resolutions.

Madpistol
08-08-07, 12:54 PM
I don't think there's a technology limitation. however, desktop displays are far brighter and the displays are much crisper and cleaner than laptops. I think the reason that that's done is because there is almost no reason to have a display with that high a resolution for a desktop unless you have a huge display. I think it's just a market standard. We have the technology, but no one is going to pay $800 for a 17" display capable of 1920x1200 when you can have a 24" display with the same resolution for $700 (or less) and more brightness.

Eliminator
08-08-07, 02:05 PM
well you might also be closer to the laptop than the monitor... i cant imagine 1920x1200 on a 19" screen from the distance i sit normally away from my 24"

Elegy
08-08-07, 02:19 PM
So it's a market limitation? I'd much rather buy a 19" 1920x1200 panel over a 24" any day though.

SOAD
08-08-07, 03:28 PM
So it's a market limitation? I'd much rather buy a 19" 1920x1200 panel over a 24" any day though.

why?

(im a bit biased)

Riptide
08-08-07, 04:39 PM
So it's a market limitation? I'd much rather buy a 19" 1920x1200 panel over a 24" any day though.Sure me to.

As long as it comes with a magnifying glass so I can read text on it.

SOAD
08-08-07, 07:14 PM
Sure me to.

As long as it comes with a magnifying glass so I can read text on it.

:lol2:

Elegy
08-08-07, 07:47 PM
A high resolution on a small screen means games look better and more detailed and everything just looks smoother. You wouldn't need a magnifying glass, you can just adjust the DPI through Windows to make things legible. Plus the monitor won't weigh a tonne and take up a lot of space.

Riptide
08-08-07, 07:53 PM
A high resolution on a small screen means games look better and more detailed and everything just looks smoother. You wouldn't need a magnifying glass, you can just adjust the DPI through Windows to make things legible. Plus the monitor won't weigh a tonne and take up a lot of space.
No problem with the games I agree. But font adjustments break programs. I've seen stuff before that didn't look right after you adjust the DPI. Sure it's crap programming in some cases - but it's out there. I'd rather not have to adjust the DPI.

CaptNKILL
08-09-07, 10:31 AM
I think its because they only look decent at their native resolutions, and making the native res too high makes them nearly impossible to use for gaming (without looking like a blurry mess) and as Rip said, it makes desktop text tiny.

I honestly have no idea why there are laptop screens with really high resolutions. I remember seeing this a couple years ago and it totally blew my mind. If there are lots of laptops that support crazy resolutions, why are there NO desktop LCDs that do as well? It seems like whatever niche the high-res laptops fill, there would be something comparable for desktops too. Maybe business machines that need to display huge spreadsheets or CAD drawings... I don't know.

All that said, until they can fix the limitations of LCDs, you'll have to pry my CRT from my cold dead fingers... or rather, scrape my guts out from underneath the 60 pound monster... :p

Rakeesh
08-09-07, 04:39 PM
I've seen 17" notebook screens with resolutions of 1920x1200, I've even seen 15" 1920x1200 screens so why is it that such high resolutions aren't transferred to desktop TFTs? The smallest screen I can find with a 1920x1200 resolution is 24"!

Is there some kind of technology limitation at work here or do companies just want to try and force people to spend more money on big screens for the high resolutions?

Because most people don't like to have to use a magnifying glass to read their text, so most manufacturers don't make resolutions that high on screens that small.

Riptide
08-09-07, 05:41 PM
I shudder to think how tiny the crosshairs and other critical objects would look in some games when run in an ultra high resolution over a small physical area. CSS would be a serious PITA @ 1900x1200 over a 17" or 19" screen.

Q
08-09-07, 08:59 PM
All that said, until they can fix the limitations of LCDs, you'll have to pry my CRT from my cold dead fingers... or rather, scrape my guts out from underneath the 60 pound monster... :p

Amen.

I have two Samsung Syncmaster 19" 997DFs. No LCD comes close.