PDA

View Full Version : Major platform upgrade advice.


saguy
08-10-07, 10:09 AM
It is coming to that upgrade time again. I need to ditch my 939 for a new motherboard, memory and CPU. Any advice would be appreciated of tried and tested combinations that work well together for overclocking. I do not need the fastest or the best as there is always a price premium. My main concern is getting a motherboard that will have the longevity regarding support. I am still pissed off that AMD dropped 939 for AM2 which offered nothing new except maybe that the chips are cheaper to manufacture. Who knows, but I'm still pissed. I need 2 gigs of ram which luckily is redicously cheap at the moment. The Core 2 Duo E6750 is about the price range for the CPU I am looking at.

I will keep my current X8800 GTS 640mb, XFi Music and I should still get away with using my old'ish Tagan 480W.

nV`andrew
08-10-07, 12:01 PM
I have the e6750, 2GB OCZ SLi Ready DDR2-1066, and the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R. So far it has been great, Captnkill, a mod here, has pretty much the same system as me and has overclocked his to 3.6ghz stable. I'm going to put on my Zalman HSF tomorrow and try to overclock a bit.

a12ctic
08-10-07, 12:10 PM
Youd be crazy to upgrade right now with K10 weeks away.

jcrox
08-10-07, 02:13 PM
Youd be crazy to upgrade right now with K10 weeks away.

Its only the Opterons that are weeks away, and they will be big $$$$. The Phenoms are still months away.

saguy
08-10-07, 05:01 PM
Youd be crazy to upgrade right now with K10 weeks away.I suppose it would be wise to wait another six months because the next upgrade will have to last me a while and I am not suffering now. I have a friend in Hong Kong who will get me a dual core for my socket 939 which should just make do - UK prices are a rip-off

K10 - is that AMD

methimpikehoses
08-10-07, 10:32 PM
If you have waited this long, might as well wait a bit longer for penryn (Intel) or phenom (AMD). Should be along in November. And the new Nvidia GPU is slated for round about that time too. If you want to upgrade memory now, I doubt DDR2 will get much cheaper.