PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 is there away to maximize the resolution past 1600x1200?

Digital_Trans
08-10-07, 09:10 PM
Is there any mod files or tweaks which will allow me to run Doom 3 better then 1600x1200? I have the Dell Ultra sharp 30" LCD and 2560X1600 would rock if possible.

de><ta
08-10-07, 09:15 PM
In your Doom 3\base folder open up DoomConfig.cfg and change the following lines:
seta r_customHeight
seta r_customWidth

de><ta
08-10-07, 09:17 PM
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3503

Mr Bigman
08-10-07, 10:18 PM
Not totally true. I did the edit on the doom3config file and when i go into game it says 640 480 not the custom res.

What else should be done to see the custom res working?

SLippe
08-10-07, 10:25 PM
This method assumes you have the latest patch. It involves setting a game var that did not exist in the earliest retail versions.

Go to <gameDir>\base, and edit DoomConfig.cfg.

Find these lines:

seta r_customHeight "xxx"
seta r_customWidth "xxxx"

Change the x's to set your resolution. Now find this line:

seta r_mode "x"

Change the "x" to "-1".
Find this line:

seta r_aspectRatio "x"

If your screen aspect ratio is 16:9, change the "x" to "1".
If your screen aspect ratio is 16:10 or 15:9, change the "x" to "2".

As with any .ini solution, if you cannot find any of these lines in your DoomConfig.cfg file, just add them in manually.

DarkJedi664
08-10-07, 10:25 PM
I think maxtick needs to be set to -1, but don't quote me on the command.

Digital_Trans
08-11-07, 12:55 AM
Read reply..

Digital_Trans
08-11-07, 01:15 AM
This method assumes you have the latest patch. It involves setting a game var that did not exist in the earliest retail versions.

Go to <gameDir>\base, and edit DoomConfig.cfg.

Find these lines:

seta r_customHeight "xxx"

Change the x's to set your resolution. Now find this line:

seta r_mode "x"

Change the "x" to "-1".
Find this line:

seta r_aspectRatio "x"

If your screen aspect ratio is 16:9, change the "x" to "1".
If your screen aspect ratio is 16:10 or 15:9, change the "x" to "2".

As with any .ini solution, if you cannot find any of these lines in your DoomConfig.cfg file, just add them in manually.

To make it easy on me what should I change in here?

I found it by opening it with Notepad so what should I change? :D

seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_renderer "best"
seta r_brightness "1"
seta r_gamma "1"
seta r_swapInterval "1"
seta r_useIndexBuffers "0"
seta r_customHeight "486"
seta r_customWidth "720"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "8"
seta r_multiSamples "16"
seta image_downSizeLimit "256"

I'm running the Dell 30" Ultra sharP on my EVGA 8800 GTX.

brady
08-11-07, 01:47 AM
All you need to do is create a blank wordpad document and rename it to "autoexec.cfg" in your doom3 base folder. In "autoexec.cfg" add the following lines:

seta r_customHeight "xxxx"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectRatio "y"

In the place of the x's put whatever resolution you want. In the place of the y put a value of either 0, 1, or 2. 0 = 4:3, 1 = 16:9, 2 = 16:10.

When you start Doom3 any commands in autoexec will override whatever the same config commands are. It will still say "640x480" or some such when you look under the systems option in the game menu but the actual resolution will be whatever you have set via autoexec.

Digital_Trans
08-11-07, 04:35 AM
I used Steam to download Doom 3. I don't see the folder where to edit anything anywhere.

SOAD
08-11-07, 07:57 AM
your ****ed :D

:lol:

Steam dosent allow you to edit stuff.

there is a way ;)

crainger
08-11-07, 08:17 AM
Off topic, but doesn't it seem strange that Doom 3 is on Steam the home of HL2? I mean 3 years ago they were rivals so to speak...

grey_1
08-11-07, 08:55 AM
Off topic, but doesn't it seem strange that Doom 3 is on Steam the home of HL2? I mean 3 years ago they were rivals so to speak...
Not really. I was always under the impression Id and Valve always had somewhat of a decent working relationship, and if I remember correctly, wasn't there something of a fun jab at valve, hidden on the way down to meet that half-assed cyberdemon? Seems they get on pretty well.

Plus the added revenue from having it available online, just makes business sense.

brady
08-11-07, 09:32 AM
To make it easy on me what should I change in here?

I found it by opening it with Notepad so what should I change? :D

seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_renderer "best"
seta r_brightness "1"
seta r_gamma "1"
seta r_swapInterval "1"
seta r_useIndexBuffers "0"
seta r_customHeight "486"
seta r_customWidth "720"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "8"
seta r_multiSamples "16"
seta image_downSizeLimit "256"

I'm running the Dell 30" Ultra sharP on my EVGA 8800 GTX.

I used Steam to download Doom 3. I don't see the folder where to edit anything anywhere.

Then what exactly were you "opening with notepad? Where ever you found the .cfg that you opened with notepad and copied all that junk from is the folder you need to be in to edit stuff. On non-steam installs that folder is called base. I don't see why it would be something different on steam install but if it is you have obviously found it...

Sazar
08-11-07, 10:00 AM
In your Doom 3\base folder open up DoomConfig.cfg and change the following lines:
seta r_customHeight
seta r_customWidth

No, just go into the console (ctrl+alt+tilde) and enter in the commands that brady has directly in there. :)

It works straight away, once you restart the game :D

I am running D3 and ROE at 1920x1200

Mr Bigman
08-11-07, 12:40 PM
Yea i follow up with this too and yea its running at the screen res i entered in the config file. I know cuz when exiting to desktop, it goes right away not changing any screen res so its working here.

crainger
08-11-07, 05:46 PM
Not really. I was always under the impression Id and Valve always had somewhat of a decent working relationship, and if I remember correctly, wasn't there something of a fun jab at valve, hidden on the way down to meet that half-assed cyberdemon? Seems they get on pretty well.

Plus the added revenue from having it available online, just makes business sense.

I love HL2!

Damn you and your making sense and knowing stuff!

Oh and I like HL2 aswell.