PDA

View Full Version : Great DX9 demo, FX owners please read

DSC
04-04-03, 01:01 PM
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/index.html

Ok, saw this mentioned in Beyond3d's forum, can FX owners please download and run this on your card and take some screenshots and report back on how does it run on FX5800 Ultra? Thanks. :D :angel:

ricercar
04-05-03, 02:14 AM
seems pretty rigorous.

EDIT:
had to remove the pics. There were so many hits that my ISP was charging me $4 USD daily for bandwidth!

DSC
04-05-03, 06:35 AM
ricecar,

That JPEG compression setting that you are using for the screenshots makes them look absolutely AWFUL. Can you please use a better quality JPEG setting?

And another thing, which version of the Detonator drivers are you using?

Other FX owners, please try this? :o

Sazar
04-05-03, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by DSC
ricecar,

That JPEG compression setting that you are using for the screenshots makes them look absolutely AWFUL. Can you please use a better quality JPEG setting?

And another thing, which version of the Detonator drivers are you using?

Other FX owners, please try this? :o

appears to just be zoomed versions of the pics on the website.. perhaps you are being a bit harsh on the lad ?

:)

DSC
04-05-03, 07:38 AM
Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but as you can see, if you compare with screenshots from the website where you can download the demo, the text in the screenshots there are sharp and not blurry, while ricercar's ones have bad JPEG artifacting around the text.

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/Image/dof0_00.jpg

nagus
04-05-03, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by ricercar
seems pretty rigorous.

http://soundmark.net/images/nv30/test.jpg

http://soundmark.net/images/nv30/test2.jpg

http://soundmark.net/images/nv30/test3.jpg

You get around 5 to 6 Frames per Sec?

With my 9700 pro, I get around 20(!) fps (same settings as you ... 1024x702 with 4xaa ... running 8xAF to)

what drivers are you using?

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by DSC
Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but as you can see, if you compare with screenshots from the website where you can download the demo, the text in the screenshots there are sharp and not blurry, while ricercar's ones have bad JPEG artifacting around the text.

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/Image/dof0_00.jpg

yah.. I got that par.t.. which is why I suggested perhaps he zoomed in.. the text would get blurry if it was zoomed in on :)

who knows... I'll let the lad answer...

/me goes off to dl the test...

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:21 AM
hmm... I ran it @ 1280x1024 and was getting 10-12 fps... I am not sure if the bench should run in single figures @ a lower res than on my rig...

lemme try and get a screen cap...

I'll try and run it @ your settings and see if I can get a better cap...

blurring is inherent basically due to frame rates and motion... unfortunately...

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:25 AM
getting in the range of 16-18 fps... running it @ 1024x768...

here is a cap...

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:37 AM
and another running @ settings of lads above...

walkndude
04-05-03, 08:37 AM
Your running the demo in a different texture format sazar (a16b16g16r16f)...

Could you run it in the same format as ricercar?

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:43 AM
and another... this time using a different model.. a really cool skull cap :)

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by walkndude
Your running the demo in a different texture format sazar (a16b16g16r16f)...

Could you run it in the same format as ricercar?

how ?

none of the settings I have tried make a difference...

am I not running higher precision than ricecar anyway ? 16 v.s 8 ?

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:49 AM
well ok I found what you are talking about but it revers to 16 no matter what I do :)

it is supposedly running @ 8 by default... in the proggy... but I am running it @ 16 by default...

walkndude
04-05-03, 08:54 AM
sazar I'm not trying to turn this into a contest I was just curious if their was a difference.

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:54 AM
also.. I want to know how many taps ricecar is using in his depth of field... I am using 37 in all of my caps... though changing the value does not give me more than a few fps here and there... max around 3 I think.. disabling gives me more than double the fps...

Sazar
04-05-03, 08:56 AM
sazar I'm not trying to turn this into a contest I was just curious if their was a difference.

I am not trying to turn this into a contest lol... I just can't change the setting from my playing around with this thing... I dunno if I can...

I am posting piccies btw coz its kewl :)

it looks a lot better than the piccies...

i wnted to find out if there is a difference on the nv30 depending on the depth of field used... I can't seem to find a difference...

walkndude
04-05-03, 09:06 AM
I did'nt think you were trying to make a contest out of it sazar, was just trying to clarify myself for the fact that I was just curious ,as yourself, about the stark differences in performance.

Your right its one of the best looking lighting demos I've seen(if not the best) :)

Sazar
04-05-03, 09:15 AM
I did'nt think you were trying to make a contest out of it sazar, was just trying to clarify myself for the fact that I was just curious ,as yourself, about the stark differences in performance.

Your right its one of the best looking lighting demos I've seen(if not the best) :)

I hope that reef demo from parhelia will be developed with dx9 calls... :)

thats a very nice looking demo.. though it is only dx8 :(

btw... have you ever seen the Bacteria dx9 screensaver from ati ?

THAT is an amazing visual feast... strangely soothing :) and practical...

there are 5 shapes btw.. but I only liked the funny shaped thinger... the multiple spheres and the skull...

the skull does not appear to like colors much... it reverts back to its default no matter what textures I select... same with the funny shaped thinger...

there is a tea pot as well.. total crud lol...

btw... from the website...

System Requirements

Intel(R) 80x86-compatible CPU
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 98, ME, 2000, or XP
DirectX(R) 9.0 or later
A video card that supports Vertex Shader 2.0 and Pixel Shader 2.0

Additionary, D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F and D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16 texture formats that can be rendered are highly recommended. If the current Direct3D driver doesn't support any floating point texture formats, Depth Of Field and Halo effects will not work. And if doesn't support any high-precision formats (at least 16-bit floating point or integer per component), both of image quality and frame rate will down.

walkndude
04-05-03, 09:33 AM
there is a dx8 version of the same demo also.

Cyberz
04-05-03, 12:01 PM
ya .. its cool!
have tryed it