PDA

View Full Version : Need help on deciding on Striker Extreme MOBO

JediKnight
08-13-07, 12:36 AM
I want to build a new PC and I like the Asus Striker Extreme mobo, but Ive been reading on some problems. What can I do to avoid problems with BIOS updates, memory and SLI issues. I dont know which to get but of all 680i, this one looks best. thanks.

jcniest5
08-13-07, 03:46 PM
I want to build a new PC and I like the Asus Striker Extreme mobo, but Ive been reading on some problems. What can I do to avoid problems with BIOS updates, memory and SLI issues. I dont know which to get but of all 680i, this one looks best. thanks.

Unless you want SLI, don't even bother with the Striker (or any nVidia chipset mobos in this matter). Go with the Intel P35 chipset mobos instead. How about the newest Asus 18th Anniversary P5B Premium Black Pearl? If you must get SLI, get something other than the Striker. It has too many problems.

lduguay
08-13-07, 04:12 PM
Unless you want SLI, don't even bother with the Striker (or any nVidia chipset mobos in this matter). Go with the Intel P35 chipset mobos instead. How about the newest Asus 18th Anniversary P5B Premium Black Pearl? If you must get SLI, get something other than the Striker. It has too many problems.
Mine works fine, zero problem. But i agree, the OP should get a P35 if SLI is not needed.

JediKnight
08-14-07, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the advice, since I wont be doing SLI, (getting the 8800 GTXUltra though) I will use a P5B mobo instead. I read the reviews and it rocks!!

Cinema4DXL
08-14-07, 11:15 PM
why not the P35 boards? those are even better...

jcniest5
08-15-07, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the advice, since I wont be doing SLI, (getting the 8800 GTXUltra though) I will use a P5B mobo instead. I read the reviews and it rocks!!

If you just want the P5B, check out my For Sale thread. I have one currently for sale.

Trademark
08-15-07, 09:37 AM
P5B is not a bad motherboard, but I had alot of problems with it, had to RMA twice of the bastards, but they were nice while they lasted though

JediKnight
08-15-07, 10:49 AM
I just checked on the P35K3 and its a nice one too. I do like the little gadgets that come with the P5B. Which is the newer board the P35 or the
P5B? I like the specs on both but will have to get the latest one. thanks to all.

Tr1cK
08-15-07, 12:55 PM
FWIW, I'm on my 3rd and last Asus.

JediKnight
09-05-07, 10:07 AM
thanks, I went with the ASUS P5K3 with 2gig of DDR3 and its NICE! (nana2)

Bearclaw
09-05-07, 11:20 AM
FWIW, I'm on my 3rd and last Asus.
I have never had a problem with ASUS.

mullet
09-05-07, 11:55 AM
ASUS FTW. Tr1cK, put your spec's in your sig and what problems have you had?

nightmare beta
09-06-07, 04:13 PM
what problems does it have after the latest bios update?

I'd really like to know, b/c I'm considering buying one or asus's cheaper 680i.

Slash310
09-06-07, 04:27 PM
Mine works fine, zero problem. But i agree, the OP should get a P35 if SLI is not needed.
same here, ive had no problems with mine, it wasnt my first choice in motherboards but since the evga motherboard wouldnt work and i had to send it back for a new one, i decided to get the striker and its been working perfectly

Tr1cK
09-06-07, 04:34 PM
ASUS FTW. Tr1cK, put your spec's in your sig and what problems have you had?

My rig is running fine right now.

Asus isn't what the used to be. I had a superb socket 7 board from them back in the day. I tried a socket 462 board a few years ago and it was bugged from the start, had to return it and got burnt for $25 restocking fee.

My current board, the P5NE-SLI, runs fine except for the bugged gimmicky SLI RAM crap, FSB holes in O/C, voltage droop, and poor vendor support. It is known to have issues with many makes of RAM and supposedly craps with 4gb (I dunno, I have 2gb.) They post Beta BIOS without detailing whats Beta about it, as if I want to play roulette with BIOS. They had posted a BIOS that wasn't beta and then quickly pulled it. The support site is down half the time or doesn't respond or whatever.

Just ask Magus about his Asus experience as of late.

#1 word of advice before buying any major hardware is to go to the manufacturers site and use their forums for feedback or to a very reputable fansite (such as this site). Do NOT trust Newegg, hardware site, or any vendor site reviews and take them with a grain of salt.