PDA

View Full Version : HD Gaming Noobs!! O RLY?!

MaUiLoCaL
08-13-07, 12:00 PM
Genius just pure genius. Come on gaming noobs running your PS3 via composite or s-video is not the next-gen thing to do. (crazy) :screwy:

Certainly not everyone can afford an HDTV, but not even knowing about HD Res or Blu-Ray is simply ridiculous.:p

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161833 also http://www.dailytech.com/Most+Gamers+Clueless+About+Xbox+360+PS3+HighDef+Ca pabilities/article8387.htm

Naturally, then, you might assume gamers with machines now are aware of their HD capabilities, right?

Right?

As it turns out, not so much. The NPD Group released results from their "Next Gen Functionality & Usage" report and some of the numbers are surprising.

According to the results, only 40% of PlayStation 3 owners polled were aware the machine had a Blu-ray player and about 50% of that number had popped in a Blu-ray movie during the last 10 times they turned on the machine -- the other half didn't use the feature. The study didn't poll about Xbox 360's HD-DVD add-on, as it's not a standard feature with the Xbox 360 SKU. For reference, about half polled knew about the DVD-playback potential of Xbox 360.

http://imageigloo.com/images/9937o_rly__ruserious.JPG

This type of stupidity reminds me of when jAkUp told me that someone called EVGA Tech support wondering how to plug their 7900 GTX into their laptop.:lol:

MaUiLoCaL
08-13-07, 12:10 PM
:tiki: Teh stupidity it hurts.:D

MaUiLoCaL
08-13-07, 12:19 PM
Which reminds me that my Dad has his PS3 hooked up via composite.:banghead:

Madpistol
08-13-07, 12:59 PM
Are you serious? I thought the Blu-ray player was one of the PS3's main selling points. Maybe not so much after all, but DAMN!!!

MaUiLoCaL
08-13-07, 01:06 PM
Are you serious? I thought the Blu-ray player was one of the PS3's main selling points. Maybe not so much after all, but DAMN!!!

:lol:

nemecb
08-13-07, 01:56 PM
The public at large is completely ignorant about the latest technology?! OMG Noes!!!!!!11

:D

Monolyth
08-13-07, 02:39 PM
The public at large is completely ignorant about the latest technology?! OMG Noes!!!!!!11

The industry doesn't help by developing 2 different standards.

nVJoe
08-13-07, 03:08 PM
This is why the Wii has been doing well. Most people just want to know that the system they buy is fun. The rest is just fanboy talk.

npras42
08-13-07, 04:01 PM
Its because the advertising is absolutely useless. I have zero advertising on TV regarding Blu-Ray playaback on the PS3.

In fact the only advertising I've seen for any HD format is when new DVDs are released and it says "Also available on Blu-Ray". You know that really doesn't help anyone usless you explain what the hell "Blu-Ray" is! Advertising for HD-DVD is even worse (as in non-existent in conventional advertising spaces).

I'm sure most people must not even realise that Blu-Ray is a format similar to DVD... They might have heard of it but I bet the average joe thinks its some sort of hardware device...

crainger
08-13-07, 06:04 PM
Play Blu-ray on a PS3?! I thought only a xbox could do that! I've been using my PS3 to play CDs!

Also I found an easter egg on the PS3. There is a little secret compartment, you can open it and inside there are slots for memory cards. I put my camera one in the and made a slideshow. If you want instructions PM me!

ENU291
08-13-07, 06:18 PM
You really can't blame the uninformed consumer all that much when it comes to the PS3. The majority of people that buy a gaming console will use whatever they find in the box to connect it to their TVs. If all they find is a composite cable then that's what they will use. Sony really needs to either supply an HDMI/Component cable with the PS3 or continue to see embarrassing statistics like this. How can you advertise something as a high definition gaming and movie player but not give the end user the proper AV interconnects to take advantage of those capabilities? I never understood that. :confused:

Bman212121
08-13-07, 06:24 PM
You really can't blame the uninformed consumer all that much when it comes to the PS3. The majority of people that buy a gaming console will use whatever they find in the box to connect the console to their TVs. If all they find is a composite cable then that's what they will use. Sony really needs to either supply an HDMI/Component cable with the PS3 or continue to see embarrassing statistics like this. How can you advertise something as a high definition gaming and movie player but not give the end user the proper AV interconnects to take advantage of those capabilities? I never understood that. :confused:

That way you are forced to buy the extra equipment to do so. I would also guess that out of those people that knew it could play HD content might think what you're saying and assume that since there was a cable in the box that cable allows them to display content in HD. So they may be thinking it's in HD when it is really not.

I can do one better. I basically gave my PS3 a kick in the crotch when I had to use my old RF adapter to connect it to a tv on vacation. Suprisingly it worked just fine, but it definetely won't do justice for the graphics.

MaUiLoCaL
08-13-07, 06:26 PM
You really can't blame the uninformed consumer all that much when it comes to the PS3. The majority of people that buy a gaming console will use whatever they find in the box to connect it to their TVs. If all they find is a composite cable then that's what they will use. Sony really needs to either supply an HDMI/Component cable with the PS3 or continue to see embarrassing statistics like this. How can you advertise something as a high definition gaming and movie player but not give the end user the proper AV interconnects to take advantage of those capabilities? I never understood that. :confused:

QFT.;)

jcrox
08-13-07, 06:30 PM
The public at large is completely ignorant

*fixed

crainger
08-13-07, 07:43 PM

I wish Sony bundled a HDMI cable. Only becuase Sony leads and cables are pretty damn well made. Which reminds me. I need a good optical cable. I cheaped out on the one from the PS3 to the amp... All it takes is a bump and it looses connection :(

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 07:48 PM
If you can't find a good one at a price tell me. Maybe for the price of shipping I will send you one of mine.

crainger
08-13-07, 08:13 PM
Will do. :D Though I'm sure the local EB sells decent cables, even the genuine Sony ones if I'm feeling saucy. :D

Bman212121
08-13-07, 08:19 PM
I wish Sony bundled a HDMI cable. Only becuase Sony leads and cables are pretty damn well made. Which reminds me. I need a good optical cable. I cheaped out on the one from the PS3 to the amp... All it takes is a bump and it looses connection :(

I bought one of mine from Radioshack, which was the more expensive of the two, and the other I bought was an RCA optical cable from Home Depot. (A chain building supply store) Both cables have worked great with my Z-5500 and PS3 but I think the RCA one was like $15 or so verus the $20 + I spent for the radioshack one.

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 08:38 PM
I bought one of mine from Radioshack, which was the more expensive of the two, and the other I bought was an RCA optical cable from Home Depot. (A chain building supply store) Both cables have worked great with my Z-5500 and PS3 but I think the RCA one was like $15 or so verus the $20 + I spent for the radioshack one.
Mind you that crainger lives in the world of price gouging... seriously I feel bad. :(

crainger
08-13-07, 08:42 PM
Yup. The world of $1000 PS3s, 8800GTXs. $120 Console games, $100 PC games. That's why D2D and Steam are great. New release games for $50-60AUD? Yes plz :D