PDA

View Full Version : PS3 most reliable console?

Pages : [1] 2 3

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 02:57 PM
No matter what reason you have to hate the PS3, no one can deny that its a stable system. With few reports of the system dying, one has to wonder what it would take to kill the system. Well someone put it up to the test, from extreme colds to extreme hots the system pulled through and continued to run. Now don't think the system was just sitting idle, they ran the tests while it was playing back movies and games... the system is a beast!

http://www.ps3vault.com/how-to-kill-a-ps3-console-1975

Environment 3 Heat Sauna – again console inside and controllers and screen outside.
Starting temperature was 100F and Gradually increased to 120F over the last 24hours.
Incidents Strangley enough we thought this would prove to be the ultimate area to kill the console, and to our surprise the only incident we noticed was a slight burning smell that came in around 64hours at 110F, the console was extremely hot when we finished the overall test but had come thru all environments with flying colours.

The norm...

Environment 1 Typical Family Room
Temperature 73 F
Console Ran continuous for the 108hours with only once incident happening at 12 hours in – a slight vibration coming from the tray area which lasted approximately 20 seconds. For the remaining time allocated no incidents were reported

Holy Crap! And I was scared that it wouldn't turn on one day...

Marvel_us
08-13-07, 03:36 PM
Holy Crap! And I was scared that it wouldn't turn on one day...

I don't know why but I really lol'ed when I read this line.

Acid Rain
08-13-07, 04:54 PM
No matter what reason you have to hate the PS3, no one can deny that its a stable system.Even grilled spider dung is stable when sealed properly.

Bman212121
08-13-07, 05:34 PM
Alright I've been avoiding saying this for a while to keep the flamefest from happing but let me derail your fanboi thread for a moment. I had to RMA my PS3 a few weeks ago because of overheating problems. My console got to the point where it wouldn't even play a DVD without shutting down. It might not be as prominent as say the 360 but it definetly happens on this side of the camp as well. I'm almost positive the reason for it was because the fan delta wasn't set correctly. My new console kicks the fan up right away when you play games, whereas I've never heard my old one kick the fan up, it would just shutdown.

So yes, I can deny that the PS3 isn't as invinceable as you claim, but the new one seems to be doing better.

Lyme
08-13-07, 05:38 PM
I'm not all that impressed with 50C, heck a Athlon64 is more than happy up to 70C (158F). Plus watching movies doesn't produce much heat. Now playing 108 hours of games non-stop would be impressive.

tornadog
08-13-07, 05:44 PM
I guess with no real games to play on it, this is the only way one can feel happy owning a PS3. I have some leftover Indian food from last night. I will pour some inside the disk slot and see how much "heat" it can handle.

nVidi0t
08-13-07, 05:53 PM
I guess with no real games to play on it, this is the only way one can feel happy owning a PS3. I have some leftover Indian food from last night. I will pour some inside the disk slot and see how much "heat" it can handle.

lmao

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 06:19 PM
Now playing 108 hours of games non-stop would be impressive.

Did you not read? They did do that... 108 hours of active use, between gaming and movie playback.

The following cycle was copied and used in each testing environment.
Start time Monday 9am
2 hours blue ray dvd titles
4 hours continuous play on Resistance FOM
2 hours continuous play on Motor Storm
2 x blue ray dvd movies
1 x blue ray dvd movie
1 x blue ray dvd movie
2 hours continuous play on Motor Storm
6 hours of Motor Storm
6 hours of Resistance Fom
10 hours of Blue Ray Dvd 7 titles
1 hour of Motor Storm
3 hours of Resistance
5 hours of Enchanted Arms
2 hours blue ray dvd title
2 hours blue ray dvd title
5 hours Resistance FOM
5 hours Motor Storm
1 hour enchanted Arms
3 hours blue ray dvd titles
Repeated from the top until 108hours

Bman212121, I have to say that your full of ****. Unless you have something to back up your claim I do not even believe you own a PS3. The amount of trash talking you do about the unit shows that you have no love for it and no want to even play it. If you did have a unit that did fail im pretty sure you would have posted a bait thread as soon as it happened... its your nature.

Bman212121
08-13-07, 06:43 PM
Bman212121, I have to say that your full of ****. Unless you have something to back up your claim I do not even believe you own a PS3. The amount of trash talking you do about the unit shows that you have no love for it and no want to even play it. If you did have a unit that did fail im pretty sure you would have posted a bait thread as soon as it happened... its your nature.

:D (I'm going to guess that you're joking)

Unless I'm mistaken, my PSN name is in your user list. ;)

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 06:44 PM
Is it? Might have you confused with another username with a B, lol. It's been awhile since I actually used my PS3... or even played a game.

My apologies... I had you confused with Badboy_12345, lol. Sorry!

Bman212121
08-13-07, 06:50 PM
Heh, np. I swore you were in my username list, but I guess your not, I'm sending you an invite right now as long as you promise not to get all emo on me. :p

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 06:52 PM
I can't promise that... I do drink often...

Bman212121
08-13-07, 06:57 PM
Close enough. ;)

I knew I had added you before, but for some reason your not in my list. When I goto add Pocky4Th3Win is says: "This person has already been added as a friend." It probably didn't import all my contacts back into the new system correctly then.

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 07:00 PM
Still think the PS3 is the most reliable console. :p

Your just an exception to that rule because your username confuses me...

Bman212121
08-13-07, 07:12 PM
Still think the PS3 is the most reliable console. :p

Your just an exception to that rule because your username confuses me...

I would agree that it is pretty stable if you get a good one, but I'm just pointing out that a review of one console that can widthstand those elements doesn't mean that all PS3's pwn because of it. If I did the review with my old one, it would have probably failed a few of the tests so I could conclude that because my one test console crapped out, all of the PS3's must be crap. Obviously this isn't true, but it just means that they really should have tested a dozen PS3's in the same conditions if they wanted to have a better test group. The article doesn't really specify if it was one console for all tests/one console per test or what revision it was. The B01's might have already addressed the issue with my old release day A01 console, or mine could have just been a lemon.

crainger
08-13-07, 07:15 PM
I'll have to get on PSN and send more annoying fapping messages to you guys. :D I have a whole bunch of nVNewsers on my list, but you're never online at the same time as me... Double the fapping for DiscipleDOC BTW!

I haven't had my PS3 long enough to comment on the reliability of the internals, but I'm very happy with the overall build quality.

Bman212121
08-13-07, 07:21 PM
I'll have to get on PSN and send more annoying fapping messages to you guys. :D I have a whole bunch of nVNewsers on my list, but you're never online at the same time as me... Double the fapping for DiscipleDOC BTW!

I haven't had my PS3 long enough to comment on the reliability of the internals, but I'm very happy with the overall build quality.

Speaking of which, WTH is your pic of? It looks like a polar bear or Cow face smashed onto a round disc.

crainger
08-13-07, 07:32 PM
I think it's a harp seal perhaps. Or maybe a fat round dog?

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 07:40 PM
I have people on my buddy list who I don't even know... MasoASS? WTF?

Bman212121
08-13-07, 07:48 PM
I have people on my buddy list who I don't even know... MasoASS? WTF?

There might be a way to change your screen name because if you look at someone's profile, it lists a username and a screen name. So they could have just changed their screen name. I actually got an invite from someone with the message "F you". Like I'm going to add them to my list... :rolleyes:

crainger
08-13-07, 07:49 PM
Ima changing mine to I<3|MaGNuS|

penitent_one
08-13-07, 08:02 PM
3rd 360 here, only one PS3 and I've reformatted the HD multiple times and exposed it to worse conditions.

The 360 is noisy and lousy on reliability. So I have to have it sitting out in open air creating irritating amounts of noise while my PS3 survives quite amiably in a hotter area of my entertainment center.

On a sidenote, my Wii is also going to be replaced or repaired soon for the good ol glitchy squares popping up here and there.

crainger
08-13-07, 08:19 PM
Yeah. I have my 360 out ontop next to the TV in my centre. Lots of fresh air, probably the reason it's been going so long. Very noisy though... Both from the console and it's power brick.

Lyme
08-13-07, 08:54 PM
Did you not read? They did do that... 108 hours of active use, between gaming and movie playback.

No they didn't do that.. They did a mix of games and movie playback. Movie playback doesn't stress the system half as much as games do. So 108 hours of games != 108 hours of mixed usage.

penitent_one
08-13-07, 09:00 PM
No they didn't do that.. They did a mix of games and movie playback. Movie playback doesn't stress the system half as much as games do. So 108 hours of games != 108 hours of mixed usage.

Wrong,

HD playback puts a CPU through its paces.