PDA

View Full Version : Same Game...PC or Console?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MaUiLoCaL
08-13-07, 04:56 PM
I think this should cause an interesting discussion. Are PC games always the way to go? For example Bioshock is coming to the PC and Xbox 360 soon as well as Medal of Honor: Airborne. Also later this year we have COD4, Assassins Creed, and many others as we all know. So many games going multi platform!

I always lean going with the PC version if it is on both, but is this always the right thing to do? Generally speaking the graphics are better on the PC since we can turn the settings way up.

GRAW and GRAW2 as well as Rainbox Six: Vegas (IMO the cover system works better on the 360) are very good examples where the Xbox 360 version was far better than the PC version.... What other exceptions are there?

Sometimes the control difference and interface can be tailored to one platform or the other. I wonder to myself though if playing Medal of Honor: Airborne will be a more rewarding experience with achievements and good ol' Xbox Live or if mouse and keyboard will dominate as usual.

Any suggestions?:D

|MaguS|
08-13-07, 05:02 PM
For me it depends on the game... I originally got Overlord for the X360 but the controls were better on the PC. RVS was crap on the PC so I went out and got the PS3 version once it released.

Right now unless horribly ported I will get the PS3, then the PC and finally the X360 version of a game if no other choice is left. I just like the PS3 pad the best out of all them and if the port is crap I would go with the PC for the better graphics but if that also is crap I will get the X360 version which is usually the primary system for developers.

jAkUp
08-13-07, 05:03 PM
R6 was the same on the PC, and GRAW was just different. Some people preferred the PC version, some preferred the console version.

crainger
08-13-07, 05:07 PM
PC all the way! Well unless one of the console versions is exceptionally better.

Bobin8ter
08-13-07, 05:10 PM
I have always heard that PC is by far the better gaming experience, but it seems from this post that it might not always be a true rule.

I do agree that the experience is different, this is from my experience from Gamecube.

It does seem that due to the controllers, consoles are simpler, but that dosen't mean easier.

I really want to upgrade my computer first, but I am thinking of getting a console in the future, since my girl friend will only play on a Xbox, but not a PC.

Bman212121
08-13-07, 05:17 PM
Usually if it is an FPS or RTS I'll get it for the pc. If it is a sports game or racing game then I get it for the console. The reason being is the KB/mouse work better for me on FPS/RTS, and a gamepad on sports/racing games.

MaUiLoCaL
08-13-07, 05:20 PM
At least to me it was awesome that Microsoft brought the 360 controller to Windows so that games like Psychonauts feel almost like they do on the Xbox.:D Tomb Raider on PC also makes pretty good use of the 360 controller.

wollyka
08-13-07, 05:31 PM
PC all the way :)

Q
08-13-07, 05:47 PM
At least to me it was awesome that Microsoft brought the 360 controller to Windows so that games like Psychonauts feel almost like they do on the Xbox.:D Tomb Raider on PC also makes pretty good use of the 360 controller.

One of the greatest games ever. I can't believe it floundered commercially, practically robbing us of a sequel.

nVidi0t
08-13-07, 05:47 PM
Sports game: Console
Anything else: PC

nVidi0t
08-13-07, 05:49 PM
One of the greatest games ever. I can't believe it floundered commercially, practically robbing us of a sequel.

Same with Giants: Citizen Kabuto. It's a damn shame that all these great original IP's bomb.

Marvel_us
08-13-07, 06:18 PM
Lately I've preferred the console versions. Usually don't have to worry about performance issues or crappy ports. Ultimately it depends on the game. UT3 I plan to buy for both console and PC. A platformer game like God of War seems better suited for consoles.

Tork64
08-13-07, 06:20 PM
The only reason I have my XBOX 360 is for exclusive titles, the rest is PC all the way. Also after playing Gears of War I can see why it came out on the console, id rather not play that game on the pc since its more consolish.

crainger
08-13-07, 06:25 PM
I have always heard that PC is by far the better gaming experience, but it seems from this post that it might not always be a true rule.

I do agree that the experience is different, this is from my experience from Gamecube.

It does seem that due to the controllers, consoles are simpler, but that dosen't mean easier.

I really want to upgrade my computer first, but I am thinking of getting a console in the future, since my girl friend will only play on a Xbox, but not a PC.

PC was the best, but as things move along console is closing in. I mean we are getting decent RTS releases on console now! Things are messed up when that happens... Console now has high res, 5.1 sound, same machine and LAN multiplayer. Hell mouse and keyboard are on the way for PS3! Although on the flipside, the cost to setup 2 consoles is roughly the same as keeping 2 PCs updated for the lifespan of those consoles. Where as console was always cheaper...

So yeah. I'm sort of up in the air right now. This could very well be my last PC upgrade for quite some time. Time will tell. Sooner or later... Time will tell.

muaddib
08-13-07, 06:29 PM
Depends on whatever version is the best and definitive. Before I get a game I thoroughly analyze the differences between each version and read press reviews carefully (GS), then I decided what version is the best, and what suits me and my feelings. I always had a nice PC and a console or two to go along with, and I am enjoying the best of both worlds. P.S. why opening such poll in a PC faboy forum? The results would be obvious...

Eliminator
08-13-07, 06:46 PM
this really depends here but i simply say consoles because usually they come much more optimized and bug free on console...

breathemetal
08-13-07, 06:50 PM
PC!

I'll never buy a console, or a game for a console. Ever.

The only console I ever had fun with was the N64 and the PSX (and not the thin version) :cool:

Sectus
08-13-07, 07:16 PM
I tend to prefer PC, but it also depends on the title.

The only time I chose console over a PC version was for Overlord, because my computer could only do ~20fps on the game, while the 360 rendered the graphics in 30 fps. (that happened to be a mistake though, as the FPS worsened drastically later in the game, and I didn't have the option to scale the graphics down)

JohnDio
08-13-07, 07:28 PM
PC all the way. I'm playing console games only when they are exclusive to them

PS: And FYI,GRAW2 PC is way better than the X360 version. After all,the PC version is tactical,the way the Ghost Recon games were meant to be ;)

MaUiLoCaL
08-13-07, 08:21 PM

The game is amazing.:D And Tim Schaffer (http://www.doublefine.com/news.htm) is a creative genius (same man worked on Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango). I wish people would give Psychonauts a try it is loads of fun.:D

(nana2)

This is actually a game I own for PC and Xbox (it's backwards compatible with the 360 and you can find it on eBay for like $10).

Check out this Psychonauts car someone made for Forza 2!:D

http://www.doublefine.com/news%20images/2007/forza%20big.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6707590&postcount=1156

crainger
08-13-07, 08:28 PM
Psychonauts was agreat great game. I'm playing through Grim again too. Actually runs great on Vista and looks amazing on my LCD TV.

delas52
08-13-07, 08:52 PM
I prefer the pc, however the console versions tend to be less buggy as they become the primary focus in many cases.

FPS for pc, otherwise 360 (I don't play rts, although the coh demo was pretty cool).

spaceigg
08-13-07, 09:12 PM
PC, of course! :)

nekrosoft13
08-13-07, 10:10 PM
PC all the way

pretty much everytime multiplatform games are better on PC.

Double Agent was an only exception that i can think off, ubi really ****ed that one up.

DarkJedi664
08-13-07, 10:11 PM
PC!

I'll never buy a console, or a game for a console. Ever.

The only console I ever had fun with was the N64 and the PSX (and not the thin version) :cool:
QFT!!