PDA

View Full Version : FX's slow down temperature?

RobHague
04-04-03, 05:53 PM
Is it just me thats worried about the temp at which the drivers think it should slow down the core? 140c! :eek:

Jeeze, could it really get to that temp without catching fire? :confused: :confused:

jAkUp
04-04-03, 06:12 PM
lol yea i know... thats nearly 290 degrees F!!!

Unit01
04-05-03, 10:50 AM
hey it's .13 you never know :D

RobHague
04-05-03, 12:26 PM
I guess, i may email nvidia (hey its worth a try) and ask them for their view on that.

-=DVS=-
04-05-03, 12:30 PM
lol if card doesn't get burned after 140C then everything else in the case will melt :eek:
It must be a bug 140C is way to high :confused:

RobHague
04-05-03, 12:34 PM
Who knows, im rather impressed with the cooling on the FX though (am i the only one?). It dumps most of the heat outside the case and is only on when it needs to be. I think its well smart. It also should mean that the cooler has a much longer life than standard HSF combo's on cards that are on constentley when the PC is. Although on the terratec card i have they give a 24month gurantee! and PNY give a 5 year one i believe. Now that is amazing :D

Captain Beige
04-05-03, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by RobHague
Who knows, im rather impressed with the cooling on the FX though (am i the only one?). It dumps most of the heat outside the case and is only on when it needs to be. I think its well smart. It also should mean that the cooler has a much longer life than standard HSF combo's on cards that are on constentley when the PC is. Although on the terratec card i have they give a 24month gurantee! and PNY give a 5 year one i believe. Now that is amazing :D

the FX dumps most of its own heat outside the case, but it generates so much in the first place that it raises the temperature inside the case about as much as a 9700pro (if not more).

and it takes up 2 PCI's.

and it's noisy as hell.

so imo the cooling isn't at all impressive.

just an opinion based on certain facts. not a flame.

Dazz
04-05-03, 01:21 PM
ALso faster fans have a lower life span then slower ones so it would have to reduce the speed to make it last and so you don't hear the fan all the time. I once had a Global Win POP32 w/ a 7000rpm fan and after 20 miniutes i would get migrains. So the Geforce FX with the FX blower is not my kind of cooling.

ChrisRay
04-05-03, 01:33 PM
Hmm the way that picture looks to me is the tempature is adjustable?

RobHague
04-05-03, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Captain Beige
the FX dumps most of its own heat outside the case, but it generates so much in the first place that it raises the temperature inside the case about as much as a 9700pro (if not more).

and it takes up 2 PCI's.

and it's noisy as hell.

so imo the cooling isn't at all impressive.

just an opinion based on certain facts. not a flame.

Have you actually used one then? I assume you got one and then sent it back? as you seem to know a lot about the FX - or are you basing these assumptions, sorry "facts" on information on the web?

My Case temp has not risen significantley at all since i put the FX in, its maybe a degree or so higher but it would be a lot more with a 9700. After all all GPU's get hot (every G/VPU gets hot, the R300/350 VPU is not magic, it does not run at 0*c) and id rather have the majority of that heat OUTSIDE the case. It takes up 1 PCI and 1 AGP and what idiot would put a PCI card in the slot next to the AGP anyway? Apart from the obvious IRQ issues it would block the coolers on the card and you would most likley cause it to overheat.

It isnt noisy, not like everyone assumes anyway. Ignore the recordings made on sites as they are made bang next to the cooler and vary depending on your speaker volume. Take them as a "thats what it sounds like if you have the side of your case off and your bent down with your ear next to it" which may make gaming a bit hard.

On my system, you hear the flowfx fan kick in and then it becomes 'background' after a few moments.

Im sorry but im impressed with the cooling unit, heatpipes on a RETAIL card is an impressive thing. Maybe NVIDIA will carry over what they have learned with it and use it on the NV35 - and make it quieter yes, but they shoudnt drop the idea. Its a good one.

mreman4k
04-05-03, 03:44 PM
[i] It takes up 1 PCI and 1 AGP and what idiot would put a PCI card in the slot next to the AGP anyway? Apart from the obvious IRQ issues it would block the coolers on the card and you would most likley cause it to overheat.

It isnt noisy, not like everyone assumes anyway. Ignore the recordings made on sites as they are made bang next to the cooler and vary depending on your speaker volume. Take them as a "thats what it sounds like if you have the side of your case off and your bent down with your ear next to it" which may make gaming a bit hard.

On my system, you hear the flowfx fan kick in and then it becomes 'background' after a few moments.

Im sorry but im impressed with the cooling unit, heatpipes on a RETAIL card is an impressive thing. Maybe NVIDIA will carry over what they have learned with it and use it on the NV35 - and make it quieter yes, but they shoudnt drop the idea. Its a good one. [/B]

Hey hey hey, I have my ethernet card in my PCI slot next to my AGP slot -- and I do not get any IRQ issues.

Also, the Radeon 9700 Pro's cooler is not all that quiet either. I once had a Radoen 8500 in a SILENT Dell Dimensions 8200 which are very quiet. I installed my 9700 Pro and the noise change was definately noticeable and my CPU tower is on the floor next to my desk. So I know the GeForce FX has to be load when in 3D mode and I seriously do hope they ditch the FX Flow.

jAkUp
04-06-03, 12:48 AM
you may not get irq issues... but you could... i would never put any card that close... plus it blocks the fan like what was said above/\/\

Captain Beige
04-06-03, 05:01 AM
what I find impressive is the Sapphire 9700 pro ultimate (which is retail, btw).

takes up an extra slot like the FX but in return you get absolutely silent running, whereas with the FX you get considerably louder than average running.

although the FX is putting most of its own heat outside the case, it's dumping lots in the case. try touching the heatsink on the back of the card - where do you think THAT heat is going?

RobHague
04-06-03, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Captain Beige
what I find impressive is the Sapphire 9700 pro ultimate (which is retail, btw).

takes up an extra slot like the FX but in return you get absolutely silent running, whereas with the FX you get considerably louder than average running.

although the FX is putting most of its own heat outside the case, it's dumping lots in the case. try touching the heatsink on the back of the card - where do you think THAT heat is going?

Oh and of course with the Sapphire 9700 pro ultimate its dumping ALL of its heat inside the case. You forgetting? Its one BIG heatplate. Its not that impressive at all, its just using a 3rd party cooling solution and selling it already applied. You can get a silent cooler mod for the NV30, made by ThermalTake i believe.

Where is that heat going from the plate on the FX btw? Out the back of my case as there is an exhuast on mine just above it ;)

Captain Beige
04-06-03, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by RobHague
Oh and of course with the Sapphire 9700 pro ultimate its dumping ALL of its heat inside the case. You forgetting? Its one BIG heatplate. Its not that impressive at all, its just using a 3rd party cooling solution and selling it already applied. You can get a silent cooler mod for the NV30, made by ThermalTake i believe.

Where is that heat going from the plate on the FX btw? Out the back of my case as there is an exhuast on mine just above it ;)

but the 9700pro generates relatively little heat in the first place so it can afford to dump it in all in the case - it's not a problem. if the FX dumped all its heat in the case, it would be a problem.

so comparing it with the FX, you can either give up the 2nd slot for absolute silence, or the sound of the FX flow. now, which is more impressive - running games at highest res/details etc. with a silent card or a noisy one?

judging by other threads about modding the FX with yet another heatsink/fan and/or using the exhausts the FX doesn't dump enough of its heat outside the case. I'm sure you don't use an exhaust because you love the extra noise :rolleyes:

RobHague
04-06-03, 10:09 AM
Its not that noisy, any serious gamer is going to have a good few fans anyway because he is most likley overclocking. Plus if you think the R9700 is so cool run a nice benchmark and then put your finger on the heatsink. Then we can see how cool it runs ;)

judging by other threads about modding the FX with yet another heatsink/fan and/or using the exhausts the FX doesn't dump enough of its heat outside the case. I'm sure you don't use an exhaust because you love the extra noise.

Its always been there, its silent. Its built into the case design (coolermaster). Like i said the FX has had no impact on my case temperature at all really.

jAkUp
04-06-03, 03:35 PM
my friend has about the same system as me, except for a readeon 9700, and rdram... and his case temp i usally about 15 degrees hotter than mine... and he has cooling out the wazoo... i thought i had alot of fans.. he has probably around 15-20! and they are all in efficent places... i dunno if its his vcard thats heating things up, or another issue... but its true, the geforcefx does dump alot of hot air out of the case.. the air it throws out is nealy 107 degrees F

ChrisRay
04-06-03, 04:11 PM
Rob might I make a suggestion, use the ignore feature, it works wonders :)

RobHague
04-06-03, 04:36 PM
Oooh, where do i find that then? I always thought it was in the post info next to the profile buttons etc.

Ta :D