PDA

View Full Version : Madden 08 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Marvel_us
08-14-07, 09:59 AM
Okay so Madden had it's midnight launch yesterday. I'm still amazed how well this game does year after year. I used to be a die hard Madden fan but ever since the new consoles took over I haven't been impressed.

IGN gave the 360 version an 8.7.....PS3 version got a 7.7.

Anyone here picked it up yet?

MaUiLoCaL
08-14-07, 10:09 AM
My Xbox 360 copy is arriving tomorrow from Amazon.:D

60 Frames>30 Frames

One of the big points of contention about this year's Madden has been the difference in performance between the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. It was announced some time ago that the 360 version would run at 60 frames a second, versus 30 on the PS3. When you compare the two games side by side, yes, there is a noticeable difference. The PS3 version is certainly choppier and slightly more prone to hitching up in-game than the 360 one. However, simply taken on its own merits, the PS3 version isn't suddenly awful because of this one issue. The choppiness rarely ever distracts you from the gameplay, and for the most part, the 30 frames a second number holds pretty steady. If you have a choice between the two, certainly the 360 version is the preferable one from a visual standpoint, but the PS3 version isn't unplayable by any means.

Ruined
08-14-07, 10:34 AM
As most expected, looks like 360 is the best console to buy this for if you have both 360/PS3.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3161872

The PS3 difference.
Sadly, just like with NCAA Football 08 and All-Pro Football 2K8, PS3 owners are stuck with an inferior version of Madden. While the game runs at 60 frames per second on Microsoft's box, Madden only clocks in at 30fps on Sony's console. The result? The gameplay isn't nearly as smooth as the 360 version and even stutters at times (see the difference in this comparison video). And that's the reason why we're scoring the PS3 edition slightly lower.

Lyme
08-14-07, 10:44 AM
Does madden use a custom rolled game engine or something else? I'm not a sports game person but I'm still interested in why there are differences.

Marvel_us
08-14-07, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over the PS3 version being 30fps this year. This is still the first 60fps Madden, out all 3 that came out since Xbox360's debut.

Ruined
08-14-07, 11:00 AM
Does madden use a custom rolled game engine or something else? I'm not a sports game person but I'm still interested in why there are differences.

Most multiplatform games run a bit better on XBOX 360 because it has a more developer-friendly (and also more well-thought out, to be honest) CPU/GPU design.

Essentially, both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 have the same exact general processing core - except XBOX 360 has 3 of those cores while PS3 only has 1. XBOX 360's CPU design essentially has mirrored the trend in PC gaming, with gamers going dual or even quad core general processing units. PS3 makes up for its lack of general processing with specialized processing units (SPEs) - however these units don't fare as well on A.I. and other general functions, really only working best on graphics stuff and physics. However, both consoles already have a dedicated GPU so the graphics part of the SPEs goes underutilized and there is already a wealth of general processing "fake" physics engines (like havok) so even physics calculations are underutilized (just as Ageia about that one). On top of this, the SPEs are reportedly very difficult to balance and keep busy without getting stalled.

On the GPU side, the XBOX 360 graphical side was more well thought out, too. Both the 360 and PS3 use a relatively memory bandwidth-crippled GPU solution, the 360 having an ATI chip with 128-bit memory bus and the PS3 having an nVidia chip with an 128-bit memory bus. We are talking about chips that compare to a 7600GS in GPU memory bandwidth. PS3 takes this bandwidth hit to the chin, but 360 softens the blow by incorporating high speed eDram that essentially gives near-free AA. The XBOX 360 also has a hardware scaling chip while the PS3 seems to use a primarily software-based solution; this means free scaling to any resolution with 360 games, and no scaling on PS3 games (unless you want to take a chunk out of CPU time available to the game itself for scaling on PS3)

So, what developers are basically doing is creating multithreaded general processing CPU code that will port easily between PC and 360, and then attempting to alter that code to run on the SPEs. Since the SPEs are poor at running general processing code, often the results involve more slowdowns than the 360 version. This is excerbated with the 360's eDRAM, giving the 360 version free AA/framebuffer effects with no slowdown.

And this is why most multiplatform games have less slowdown and less jaggies or more effects on 360; the former is a product of developers creating their lead platform more around the more intuitive PC/360 model, while the latter is a product of 360's eDram.

And, if you were a third party developer and was not getting unlimited funding from Sony, would you rather create games for 360's userbase which is much bigger than PS3's virtually everywhere except Japan and ALSO the PC which has multicore/dx9 gamers in the 10s of millions. Or would you rather go for the PS3 model, which works well on PS3's installed base and nothing else? Some PS3 first party games may be able to use the SPEs for some nice physics effects, but for third party games I would expect that the 360 versions continue to look and play the best due to the aforementioned reasons.

ENU291
08-14-07, 11:06 AM
I'm guessing that you simply can NOT use a straight forward programming approach to develop a game on the PS3 so corners have to be cut. EA is a video game juggernaut so deadlines are a HIGH priority. Getting a game out on time and having that game available on many difference consoles simultaneously is what EA is all about. Unfortunately the result of those decisions is not always ideal for everyone. (i.e. PS3 Madden 08)

Ruined
08-14-07, 11:27 AM
I'm guessing that you simply can NOT use a straight forward programming approach to develop a game on the PS3 so corners have to be cut. EA is a video game juggernaut so deadlines are a HIGH priority. Getting a game out on time and having that game available on many difference consoles simultaneously is what EA is all about. Unfortunately the result of those decisions are not always ideal for everyone. (i.e. PS3 Madden 08)

Damn, I could have saved myself a few paragraphs if you had posted this earlier! ;)

DiscipleDOC
08-14-07, 12:16 PM
I picked it up this morning. I like it, but I have to play some more to give a better opinion. I will be taking off Friday so that I can get a better feel of the game.

Marvel_us
08-14-07, 01:23 PM
I picked it up this morning. I like it, but I have to play some more to give a better opinion. I will be taking off Friday so that I can get a better feel of the game.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your opinions on it DD. Madden used to be the only game I would play for months straight but I don't want to spoil my fond memories of madden with this year's PS3 version. Hell I'm tempted to buy a 360 just to play it.

Marvel_us
08-14-07, 02:21 PM
People might want to pick this up at Toys R us.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179749

stncttr908
08-14-07, 02:59 PM
Apparently it's much better than 07 and not just another roster update. If that holds true I might pick it up. The PC version is only $29.99, but it still uses the same ****e engine it has been for the last five years it seems.

Lyme
08-14-07, 06:10 PM
Uh oh, EA weighs in on why football on the PS3 sucks http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=19757
(lack of development time)

nrdstrm
08-14-07, 09:43 PM
I'll be picking this up, but I might rent it first. I had fun when I rented 2007, but unfortunately, I have no one to play with...(in home), and when getting to know a game, it's better to play against friends and learn together, rather than get the crap beat out of you online... :)

Q
08-14-07, 09:44 PM
Apparently it's much better than 07 and not just another roster update. If that holds true I might pick it up. The PC version is only $29.99, but it still uses the same ****e engine it has been for the last five years it seems.

My coworker had it today and it looked the same as it did in 03, honestly. Very little change if any. I was not impressed.

Zelda_fan
08-14-07, 09:46 PM
To be honest what can you except. The PS3 is curing AIDS in the background, so of course the game is going to run a little slower.

DiscipleDOC
08-15-07, 02:45 PM
So far, I like it. I just got to learn to have a better defense.

Bokishi
08-15-07, 03:09 PM
Graphics are a tad uglier than 07 it seems

DiscipleDOC
08-16-07, 09:15 AM
Graphics are a tad uglier than 07 it seems
It has a more cartoonish look. I still think it's a heck of a lot better than last year....

MaUiLoCaL
08-16-07, 09:42 AM
Got my copy yesterday....still trying to figure the controls out.;) It's pretty decent graphically. Although the player models during a play could sure use some AA.

Marvel_us
08-16-07, 09:59 AM
Anyone remember this?:p

http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/606/606014/madden-next-gen-part-2-and-3-20050420090724346-000.jpg

MaUiLoCaL
08-16-07, 10:04 AM
Anyone remember this?:p

http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/606/606014/madden-next-gen-part-2-and-3-20050420090724346-000.jpg

:rofl OOOOOooooOOOOooo the NeXt-Gen Madden. :lol:

Not sure we will ever see that in this generation.

Lyme
08-16-07, 11:21 AM
Exactly where does he have his hands?

MaUiLoCaL
08-16-07, 01:10 PM
Exactly where does he have his hands?

(sofahide)

I'm sure McNabb knows.:afro2:

lIqUID
08-16-07, 03:47 PM
Blockbuster rented out the last copy for 360 just before my wife could make it there. I'll try to get it at least rented by the weekend.

Is there really a difference or does it matter at all if one runs at 30 fps and one runs at 60? I mean its not like a shooter where you could really notice a difference like that. I'm just kind of curious on a game like this if alot of framerate really matters.