PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS Permanent Slowdown/Low FPS after flashing

Invidious
08-15-07, 06:56 AM
I've recently purchased a 8800gts 320mb.
Everything worked fine after isntalling it and had no problems whatsoever.

The problems occured when I tried overclocking the card.
For some reason nTune and rivatunner were not able to overclock my card for even a Mhz. So I decided to use NiBiTor and NvFlash.

I overclocked the card

Core: 513
Shader: 1188
Memory: 792

to:

Core: 575
Shader: 1188
Memory: 900

No problems or errors were reported during flashing and the card seemed to be working fine. That was untill I tried to run lord of the rings online.
The game worked as it normally did except for the fact that everything was in
slow-motion. No artifacts to be seen, everything rendered fine. Just horrible slowdown.

The slowdowns goes away when i set everything to low settings.

I tried everything to fix this but nothing has had any effect.
(format, reflashing the card with the original bios, checked vsync and similair settings, tried old drivers)

Hopefuly someone knows what could be wrong with this card.

P.S

System specs

CPU: Q6600
Motherboard: P5B
RAM: 2gb DDRII
PSU: 650w

Dreamingawake
08-15-07, 10:27 AM
Yikes.

I'll tell you what's wrong with it;

you flashed it.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to get it working.

You'll be extremely lucky if you do. Sorry mate.

Invidious
08-15-07, 04:56 PM
Allright I flashed the gpu with a bios I found on http://www.mvktech.net/ (Great site btw)
Everything works fine now, turns out my backup was corrupt ><

Blacklash
08-16-07, 07:42 AM
Allright I flashed the gpu with a bios I found on http://www.mvktech.net/ (Great site btw)
Everything works fine now, turns out my backup was corrupt ><

Glad you sorted it out. I've flashed BIOS modified from my original into my GTX many times with zero issues. I've also been using the CLi version of nVflash and doing it under windows. Guess I am "lucky".

I would definitely advise folks to take time to make sure their OC is stable simply so they don't have to bother with flashing back.

I still have a cheap PCI video card I bought ages ago so if I did brick my card I could still flash my original BIOS back in without attempting a "blind" flash.

In the past I've had a bad flash once when I had 6800GT. I did as I noted above and got it back running with ease.

Invidious
08-16-07, 11:51 AM
It turns out the bios I downloaded is even beter than the original, I was never able to modify fanspeed control in nTune, I am now.

This is very convienant because I do not have a 4-pin fan installed on my gpu. When fanspeed was enabled above 10% I would get a BSOD.
Now I can just set it to 0% in nTune and havent had any errors since. (Rivatuner wouldnt always load the fanspeed settings at startup)

I still have a cheap PCI video card I bought ages ago so if I did brick my card I could still flash my original BIOS back in without attempting a "blind" flash.
In the past I've had a bad flash once when I had 6800GT. I did as I noted above and got it back running with ease.

You can't stress people enough with this. Don't ever attempt to flash your videocard if you do not have some kind of back-up gpu. (Either it be an on-board gpu or a PCI/AGP card)
Because if flashing went wrong the worst thing you can do is restart your system, and without any display you can't do much else.

Edit:

It seems I can even overclock further using the downloaded bios.

My original bios would limit me at 640/886
The downloaded one goes all the way to 700/953

Invidious
08-16-07, 12:09 PM
Sorry for double post but this needs its own post :P
With the flashed bios I can run nearly every game with everything maxed out.
While with the original bios I would get fps drops in games like Company of Heroes and Lord of the Rings Online.

I would really advise to flash your EVGA 8800gts 320mb if you notice any unexplained fps drops or slowdowns.