PDA

View Full Version : AMD biggest mistakes? What do you think?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
08-15-07, 09:11 AM
Letís keep this civilized, what do you think were some of the biggest mistakes AMD did over the last year?

Here are my opinions.

1) Buying ATI
2) Changing sockets way too often.
3) Making the 4x4 system, and leaving it behind with no future roadmap (could be mistaken)
4) Keeping the high prices when C2D was first released. They should have lowered their prices right when C2D was released.
5) Since ATI is AMD now, delaying R600 for almost 7-8 months.
6) Rather disappointing R600 performance, when compared to year old card.
7) Keeping on to DDR to long.

Opinions are welcomed.

But remember keep it civilized.

retsam
08-15-07, 09:27 AM
i think the whole buying ATI thing might not have been so bad, we havent even seen the end results of any of the work done toghter, fusion sounds really interresting.

gigapower
08-15-07, 09:27 AM
Spending all that money for ATi wasn't the best move I think. Problem with them pricing their chips so low, besides the lower profit, is the perception in the market that they are second class chips. The delays in the new chips haven't been too kind for them either, they really need Phenom to come out and beat the Core 2 chips or they might as well beg Intel for a buyout.

Tr1cK
08-15-07, 09:42 AM
I agree nekro, except the change to sockets is due to the change in memory.
IMO, AMDs biggest failure has been succumbing to marketing hype like DDR2 (forcing AM2) and the whole Quad Father scenario. They should have just skipped DDR2 and went straight to DDR3.

DMA
08-15-07, 09:54 AM
They should have kept 939 alive much longer. :D

Eliminator
08-15-07, 10:02 AM
1) buying ATI
2) not keeping competitive prices with the intel core 2

Trademark
08-15-07, 10:35 AM
1. Buying ATI
2. Delaying R600
3. R600 performance (Shader engine for AA)
4. Underestimating Intel by only switching sockets, no new innovative cpus. Intel made that mistake, now AMD does the exact same. Intel was dumb, but AMD is dumber by making the same mistake.

Tygerwoody
08-15-07, 11:13 AM
1) Buying ATI
3) Making the 4x4 system, and leaving it behind with no future roadmap (could be mistaken)
4) Keeping the high prices when C2D was first released. They should have lowered their prices right when C2D was released.

I agree with pretty much everything except for the DDR comment. DDR1 is still perfectly valid in today's applications. Their problem was abandoning DDR1 and its 939 platform completely.

:udawg: is what I say to all the fanboi's who use to come to this site saying "ZoMGN Da R600 iSZ gOING TO wiN! Its THE BESTestssT! Am2 will OWN C2D!"

idiots

jcrox
08-15-07, 11:38 AM
In the long run for what AMD wants to do as well as the general direction of Stream Processing buying ATI was not only not a bad idea, if they don't go bankrupt in the next 2 years it should actually put them ahead of Intel.

Dropping the 939 platform was plain stupidity.

4x4 was a waste of money, was there ever even 1 sold to the public ? lol

Being over priced when the C2Ds hit was really bad, inferior product at higher prices = :thumbdwn:

The delay of the R600 is debatable IMO, I have a relative that works for AMD and he doesn't even have any clue as to what really caused that. Internal struggles between ATI employees and AMD management has been mentioned before as a possibility, could just be a by-product of the take over. I would wait and see what happens with the next gen before judging that one.

The R600 performance was obviously disappointing from the stand point of it being the flag ship product, but at least the price reflects that.

nekrosoft13
08-15-07, 11:41 AM
4x4 was a waste of money, was there ever even 1 sold to the public ? lol

i think there was one misguided soul on this forum

Vik1dk
08-15-07, 12:06 PM
#2. Before conroe the majority of motherboards was 939, and deserting that socket in favor of 940 was stupid.
They could have sold tons of CPUs up to this day and lets face it, if people buy new mobo and ram, conroe is the way to go.
Edit: heh ment socket not sucket :o

Mr_LoL
08-15-07, 12:28 PM
Deserting the 939 socket was retarded. I know of a few people who would have bought 6000+ processors on 939. Instead they just switched to core 2 duo like myself.

CaptNKILL
08-15-07, 01:01 PM
2 is their worst by far.

They should have stuck with socket 939 (or skipped it completely and just had AM2) and had one platform that supported DDR1 and DDR2.

3 and 4 definitely hurt them though.

The 4x4 is pretty much worthless. And why the hell did they call it that? Its 2x2... :rolleyes:

And they should have dropped their prices significantly as soon as the Core 2s started stomping them into the dirt.

The mid range is where the money lies, but they tried to stay bleeding edge when they had no chance for the past year and a half.

stncttr908
08-15-07, 01:06 PM
I hope AMD makes a rebound soon enough. A world without real competition for Intel spells bad news for all of us.

nekrosoft13
08-15-07, 01:12 PM
#2. Before conroe the majority of motherboards was 939, and deserting that sucket in favor of 940 was stupid.
They could have sold tons of CPUs up to this day and lets face it, if people buy new mobo and ram, conroe is the way to go.

if amd would have continued with 939 and with good price, i would still be on my nforce4 board.

But when i had to upgrade CPU, that meant new CPU, board and ram, so of course i went with the best currently available.

a12ctic
08-15-07, 01:15 PM
The only mistakes theyve made have only caused **** with the enthusiasts. The AM2 didn't start any trouble with system builders. I really don't think buying ATI was the greatest decision either, but lets wait and see what they make out of it.

Tygerwoody
08-15-07, 02:34 PM
The only mistakes theyve made have only caused **** with the enthusiasts. The AM2 didn't start any trouble with system builders. I really don't think buying ATI was the greatest decision either, but lets wait and see what they make out of it.
well, what do you know. There's one of them.

:udawg:is what I say to all the fanboi's who use to come to this site saying "ZoMGN Da R600 iSZ gOING TO wiN! Its THE BESTestssT! Am2 will OWN C2D!"

idiots

einstein_314
08-15-07, 05:54 PM
Definately changing sockets and dropping S939 support. I have a computer right now that I want to upgrade that's S939 and I'm going to end up going C2D rather than AM2.

jcossin
08-15-07, 07:37 PM
if amd would have continued with 939 and with good price, i would still be on my nforce4 board.

But when i had to upgrade CPU, that meant new CPU, board and ram, so of course i went with the best currently available.

That's the problem I'm facing right now. Since AMD left me and my socket 939 in the dust I'm stuck upgrading my mobo, memory AND CPU when I'd rather just upgrade my CPU and leave my mobo and RAM (I don't care much about DDR2 anyway). So now I'm going to go with the best out there for gaming right now which is obviously the core2duo.

The previous AMD mobo I had lasted a LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG time through many cpu upgrades and I loved that. It really minimized my upgrade costs!

Viral
08-16-07, 02:56 AM
1) Buying ATI

For now, yes, for the future (if they have one) I'd have to disagree.

Yep, for sure. The main problem was that they stopped supporting S939 too soon though, because changing sockets is no worse than older intel 775 chipsets not supporting core 2. It's their lack of continued support for S939 that was the only real problem.

Yes it's continuing with K10, where it will actually make a lot more sense. The K8 setup was pretty useless, but at least it served as a good test platform :p A Dual CPU Phenom FX sytem will be a very different story.

Their prices were always fairly high end for X2's, reasonable considering it was new tech, but they were indeed too slow at reacting to C2D.

Agreed.

This conflicts with your number 2. But hey, that was AMD's fault for not going for DDR-2 with S939, but then of course it would have then been delayed and less would have adopted it because of DDR-II prices and performance. What they really needed was K10 to release with AM2 and be the first DDR-II AMD CPU. I think they made the right move given the situation they were in. AM2 just released at a bad time, and dropping support for S939 helped even that mighty platform dry up faster than it should have.

Hopefully 2008 will be AMD's return to greatness.

boow
08-17-07, 12:31 AM
they should of lowered the fx's and opty's

jAkUp
08-17-07, 01:05 AM
I think the main reason they switched to an AM2 socket is to avoid confusion...

For instance.

2 different socket 939 CPU's, one supporting DDR2 and another supporting DDR1.

mullet
08-17-07, 01:34 AM
I think the main reason they switched to an AM2 socket is to avoid confusion...

For instance.

2 different socket 939 CPU's, one supporting DDR2 and another supporting DDR1.

Isn't AM2 940?

RussianHAXOR
08-17-07, 02:10 AM
Isn't AM2 940?

His point is that if they kept it at 939 people would be confused as to which one supported DDR2 and which one didnt... hence the extra pin and different name to overt confusion in the marketplace.

mullet
08-17-07, 02:40 AM
His point is that if they kept it at 939 people would be confused as to which one supported DDR2 and which one didnt... hence the extra pin and different name to overt confusion in the marketplace.

AHH its late man, I get it.