PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor: Airborne

Pages : [1] 2

Zapablast05
08-16-07, 12:34 AM
The long anticipated new release of the Medal of Honor franchise is comming closer; Airborne. Step into the boots of Boyd Travers, Private First Class of the 82nd Airborne Division and engage in battles throughout Europe. From rocky beginnings in Sicily to war-winning triumphs in Germany, each mission begins behind enemy lines, with an intense and fully interactive airdrop.

* Your ability to determine your own starting point dramatically changes the way each mission plays out.

* View the entire operation from the air, and then control your parachute to choose your landing spot.

* On the ground, gather your senses and assess the terrain.

* A wide variety of authentic, customizable weapons are at your disposal, each with distinct characteristics.

* Choose your path in this free roaming FPS environment.

* The producers sought counsel from numerous expert sources to make certain the game is historically accurate and as true to the WWII Airborne experience as possible

Demo release will be arriving in 8 days and the game is due to arrive on shelves 9/4/07. The game will release for the PC, XBOX 360, and Playstation 3. Stores are taking in pre-order spots and they are going quick. The PC demo will release in 8 days time and no system requirements have been announced. Ladies and Gentlemen, this game will take alot of juice to run...

http://www.ea.com/moh/airborne/index.jsp

crainger
08-16-07, 12:37 AM
Do you work for EA?

SH64
08-16-07, 05:46 AM
The ability to "choose" sounds very good. this should give the game a high replay value. me likey!

breathemetal
08-16-07, 12:13 PM
This looks like it will be one of the best MOH games to date. I love the option to choose. But it still will never replace MOHAA :D I just loved Omaha Beach, especially the modded maps with those guns on top of the bunkers ;)

stncttr908
08-16-07, 12:18 PM
Bioshock is going to put this one on the backburner, but once I'm through with it I'll pick it up. :D

This is the Unreal 3 engine, right? MOHAA was great in part because it was built on the Q3 engine and was easily modifiable. Hopefully this is the same.

SJA06
08-16-07, 03:02 PM
PC-Zone [UK magazine] give it 83% and the tone of the review is very positive apart from - short SP campaign, dated graphics on the characters and it's very demanding on your system. They say MP is great fun and the environment graphics are great.

So not bad overall and better than MOH-PA.

SH64
08-16-07, 03:26 PM
This is the Unreal 3 engine, right?
AFAIK , its not.

ArrowMk84
08-16-07, 03:29 PM
AFAIK , its not.

No, it is UE3. Renderware wasn't up to the task.

rudedog
08-16-07, 04:15 PM
Correct UT3 engine no support for DX10 however it will support Vista and DX10 based cards...

Here is my review from the MP summit last month at Fort Bragg.

http://www.fpsadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12959

Please note that this review is based off my site and it's coverage of the server side of things.

SH64
08-16-07, 05:21 PM
Oh in that case its good to know. although some screenshots didnt look UE3 quality.

nekrosoft13
08-16-07, 06:02 PM
Oh in that case its good to know. although some screenshots didnt look UE3 quality.

UE3 will look just as good as the developer makes it look

Zapablast05
08-17-07, 12:08 AM
Requirements announced:

Operating System:
Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
Processor:
For Windows XP:
2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP 2800+
For Windows Vista:
3.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 3800+
Memory:
1 GB RAM
Video Card:
NVIDIA Geforce 6600GT or ATI Radeon X1300PRO

Airborne uses a heavily modified Unreal 3 engine. The game's core development was started with EA's aquired Renderware engine, but it made the switch to the Unreal 3 engine in early 2006 which delayed the game by over a year. The engine was specifically designed for DirectX 9 and 10 PCs, PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, and supports many rendering techniques utilized within the advanced graphics capabilities of Airborne, including HDRR, per-pixel lighting and dynamic shadows.

Because of the non-linear gameplay style of Airborne, the developers had to build an entirely new artificial intelligence system to deal with the many ways the player can interact with or approach the computer-controlled allied and enemy soldiers (NPCs), and for them to react to the situation accordingly. With "Affordance A.I.", the characters have an awareness of enemy approach patterns, and also features of the terrain and urban infrastructure that provide a tactical advantage, such as cover, high ground and open doorways. This allows AI characters to take intelligent combat actions based on their surroundings, as opposed to the scripted movements of previous linear FPS games.

Another break from FPS conventions is that Airborne does not respawn an infinite number of enemies, allowing the player to clear out and hold a position to stop enemies from appearing. However this can also work as a disadvantage, as failure to keep hold of an area due to limited backup or idleness can give enemy soldiers a chance to reclaim their previous position, nullifying the progress the player has made.

Airborne uses two systems to guide the physical and emotional reactions of the AI characters to what is happening around them. "E-cap" (emotion capture) is used to create more human-like emotions on the characters' faces by blending textures to give the appearance of facial expressions, wrinkles and tension. A "procedural awareness system" gives every character an emotional state such as defensive, nervous, hysterical, etc, and also an awareness of their surroundings and other NPCs, for example an AI soldier that started to move forward would jump back for cover if an ally next to them was shot.

Airborne is expected to become a heavily modded and customized game, as EA has expressed a desire to make the game extremely mod-friendly. The Unreal 3 engine is known for being easy to adapt, and after community dissatisfaction at the lack of support for Pacific Assault, the developers are looking to enable users of the game to create a wide variety of mods to suit their needs. An SDK/MDK will be released with the game, available as a download from EA's website. Additionally, tools will be provided to help export/import objects in various 3D editing programs.

nekrosoft13
08-17-07, 12:47 AM
The engine was specifically designed for DirectX 9 and 10 PCs

so it supports DX10?

Zapablast05
08-17-07, 02:15 AM
It should support DX10. There are some forums floating around that are sure it's DX10. I don't want to make a trip to EA to ask them, even though it's a 20 minute drive, lol.

rudedog
08-17-07, 07:14 AM
All that means is you can use a DX10 card to play the game. From what I've been told there will be no DX10 specific features.

Edit, it should be noted that a lot of features will come later on in the form of patches, however DX10 has never been mentioned just added content and server sided features.

Zapablast05
08-17-07, 02:22 PM
I think the facial expressions of the characters and all that eye candy is part of the DX10 side of the game. The trailer that I posted on my first post has an 'HD Download' and I didn't bother getting it. But I'm pretty sure that If you watch it in a higher defenition, you can see different model details/shader details.

rudedog
08-17-07, 02:34 PM
The hardware we played on was 7800 GTX 512s and one 7900GTX box.

Nothing from the single player and MP summits mentioned anything about DX10 support, but then again they will be releasing many patches (so they say) which will enhance the game after it ships.

Hey the demo is only days away, so only time will tell.

Zapablast05
08-18-07, 02:25 AM
I'm getting the patch for sure. 6 days left 'til the demo comes out. For some reason, I think that if the requirements have different requirements for Vista, then it must be a DX10 capable game.

Unstable_Hero
08-18-07, 09:03 AM
http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/moha/index.aspx

Blade
08-18-07, 04:48 PM
http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/moha/index.aspx

Thanks!

Zapablast05
08-19-07, 11:48 PM
The file will be available for download from that link?

PaiN
08-23-07, 12:46 AM
I'm getting it at 350-400 as I type this :)

ah...this gaming season is well under way.

nekrosoft13
08-23-07, 12:55 AM
"night drop" supposed to unlock at midnight

Unstable_Hero
08-23-07, 01:01 AM
10mins by my watch

nekrosoft13
08-23-07, 01:04 AM
they didn't say which midnight :|