PDA

View Full Version : Single to Dual Core

Delbert
08-16-07, 10:58 AM
Do not want to splurge on a complete new system until 45nm CPU & G9x arrive.
So in an effort to extract the last bit of performance out of my ageing 3 year old rig I am moving from a A64 3200+ to a X2 3800+ after being gifted the processor.
Is there anything else i need to do other after installing it ? ( other than overclocking ) Drivers ? software ? etc...
TIA & sorry about the noob question.

stncttr908
08-16-07, 11:17 AM
Well, make sure your motherboard's BIOS is updated to support the CPU. Either way it'll work in single core mode until you install the BIOS update, so you can throw it in there to try.

nV`andrew
08-16-07, 11:52 AM
You will also want the MS Dual Core Hotfix

darkrider01
08-16-07, 11:54 AM
Are you planning on doing a reinstall of windows (assuming you are running windows)?

In order to benefit from running dual cores in windows, you will most probably have to reinstall windows in order to have the ability to utilize both cores.

CaptNKILL
08-16-07, 12:06 PM
Are you planning on doing a reinstall of windows (assuming you are running windows)?

In order to benefit from running dual cores in windows, you will most probably have to reinstall windows in order to have the ability to utilize both cores.
Eh? I've never heard of this...

At most you'll need to install the microsoft dual core hot fix and maybe the AMD dual core cpu drivers.

DRen72
08-16-07, 12:52 PM

In order to benefit from running dual cores in windows, you will most probably have to reinstall windows in order to have the ability to utilize both cores.You don't need to reinstall Windows for this. It will know what to do and utilize it automatically.

Wolfhound
08-16-07, 01:20 PM
Do not want to splurge on a complete new system until 45nm CPU & G9x arrive.
So in an effort to extract the last bit of performance out of my ageing 3 year old rig I am moving from a A64 3200+ to a X2 3800+ after being gifted the processor.
Is there anything else i need to do other after installing it ? ( other than overclocking ) Drivers ? software ? etc...
TIA & sorry about the noob question.

Amd Dual-Core drivers, AMD Dual-Core optimizer and MS hotfix for Dual Core

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

Wolfhound
08-16-07, 01:22 PM

Nope, it recognizes that you are using a Dual Core CPU and installs Multiprocessor ACPI driver

Redeemed
08-16-07, 01:39 PM
I know this is kinda' off topic- but when I installed Vista... I didn't install any sort of "dual core optimizer" from either AMD or MS (I did install all available updates, but haven't notice anything relating to dual cores)- should I have installed anything in that regard? If so, where can I find it?

Thanks. :D

Eliminator
08-16-07, 02:24 PM
I know this is kinda' off topic- but when I installed Vista... I didn't install any sort of "dual core optimizer" from either AMD or MS (I did install all available updates, but haven't notice anything relating to dual cores)- should I have installed anything in that regard? If so, where can I find it?

Thanks. :D
the dual core optimizer is only for AMD/XP systems

Redeemed
08-16-07, 02:27 PM
the dual core optimizer is only for AMD/XP systems

That is what I figured. Vista screams on my humble rig as is, so I was pretty confident I didn't need to download anything extre.

Heck, last night when playing some CS:S with WeReWoLpH I forgot I had paused COD2 and fired up CS:S. It took maybe a second longer to load, and then I remembered it COD was still running cause the music was playing. :p So I just alt-tabbed out of CS:S into COD2 and quite- not a single noticable slow down for the most part. :D

Delbert
08-16-07, 02:43 PM
Hey... you guys/gals are great !!! :clap2:
Wolfhound... thnx for the links...:thumbsup:
Anyone link me to the MS Hotfix ? :wonder:

Delbert
08-16-07, 02:53 PM
Nevermind... forgot (google) is your friend.
Thnx again all.

Wolfhound
08-16-07, 03:02 PM
Hey... you guys/gals are great !!! :clap2:
Wolfhound... thnx for the links...:thumbsup:

glad to help :)

Delbert
08-21-07, 10:39 AM
Had problems with the dual core optimiser ( machine would crash randomly and games would hang ) until i put a registry key in....
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429
now all seems okay....