PDA

View Full Version : Loud 360 when watching a HD-DVD

crainger
08-16-07, 06:27 PM
Last night I was watching 300 on the 360 and we found the 360 was making even a movie as boisterous 300 hard to watch with it's noise. I haven't had a chance to play round with it a bit, but has anyone else found it to be loud when watching movies?

A few things I've thought of while at work is. There was a disc in the DVD drive, Guitar Hero II. I'm guessing that through out the movie the 360 never spun that drive down. Either that or the 360's fan are just that loud. If the fans are that loud, I'm going to have rearrange my setup to get the 360 out of the way. Right now it's out in the open for maximum airflow.

|MaguS|
08-16-07, 06:35 PM
The X360 is a pretty loud system, how far are you from your TV?

crainger
08-16-07, 06:39 PM
Not far enough! :o

3 metres perhaps?

I know it's loud, but after googling, I found most people find the source of the noise to be the drive... So I'm hoping that removing the game disc will help. Otherwise I'll sell of this addon and either get a dedicated player, or just stick with BD.

jcossin
08-16-07, 06:57 PM
The Xbox itself does the decoding in software, so the fan REALLY kick up when you play an HD disc. Just turn up your stereo real loud for the movie and hopefully you'll drown it out... :)

The other thing you could do it put the HD drive into your PC and play movies using PowerDVD. If you have a fairly quiet PC at full load you'd be all set!

crainger
08-16-07, 07:20 PM
I don't know if my HTPC would be upto the task... It's a 3.0Ghz P4 with a 6800XT :(

EDIT: After playing round with the 360 i found it was quieter on it's side. Unfortunately I can't really do that until I get a new entertainment centre. So I've raised the 360 up a bit to allow more air to be drawn in via the grill. Tested it out watching Total Recall and found it to be a lot more tolerable, in fact I didn't even notice it, where as in 300 i could hear it over even the most intense battle scenes.

I also took out Guitar Hero II. That might have helped too, but that fix doesn't involve any MacGuyer action like my other fix, so ignore it.

Lyme
08-17-07, 02:28 PM
The 360 is a lot quieter on it's side and has less chance of wobbling. When watching movies I recommend removing the game disc from the unit because sometimes it doesn't spin down, although I haven't had that issue recently.