PDA

View Full Version : Do you run Windows Updates (regularly) on your main/gaming rig?

Pages : [1] 2

3DBrad
08-17-07, 12:40 PM
Just curious who does and who doesn't.

:)

|MaguS|
08-17-07, 12:41 PM
Once a week or so...

Eliminator
08-17-07, 01:06 PM
nope updates are always off for me.... the only time i update is when a new service pack is out or some critical fix (ex. the dual core hotfix)

CaptNKILL
08-17-07, 01:08 PM
Sometimes regularly? :lol:

Q
08-17-07, 01:15 PM
I do always. If you have a Windows machine touching a network and don't keep it updated, you're probably the same type who keeps their doors unlocked at night.

JaxMacFL
08-17-07, 01:18 PM
I check Windows Update every Wednesday. I turn on AutoUpdate service and use the customize option to see if I'm interested in the updates. If I am, I start up the Restore service and set a restore point prior to installing. Just incase. If everything runs as advertised, after a few days I turn off the Restore service.

Kind of a pain in the a$$ but a lot less of a hassle than reformatting/fresh install.

Tork64
08-17-07, 01:36 PM
Once a week or so...

3DBrad
08-17-07, 01:42 PM
I do always. If you have a Windows machine touching a network and don't keep it updated, you're probably the same type who keeps their doors unlocked at night.

Please remove the tinfoil hat from your head. :p

Bman212121
08-17-07, 01:51 PM
I have it set to notify. That way you are not in the middle of the game and then all of the sudden it starts to lag because WU is running in the background. Once you install them you basically have to reboot or your going to pay once it decides to keep prompting you to restart and minimizing your full screen window.

Redeemed
08-17-07, 01:53 PM
Well, I have it automatically download the updates for me, then I chose when and which ones I want installed.

Then again, this is with Vista Ultimate x64 so... :p

Labyrinth
08-17-07, 02:02 PM
Not to sound rude, but why is this thread in the Gaming Forum?

3DBrad
08-17-07, 02:04 PM
Updates have caused issues with games in the past, so some people never update their main "gaming" rig.

JOPS
08-17-07, 02:43 PM

I usually update one to several times a week. But my main gaming rig runs a free operating system, Debian GNU/Linux (yes, I game on that, including a few, by my standards, fairly modern Windows games!), and I mostly update for features, not security.

If I ran Windows I would probably never update, ever. I don't trust Microsoft's newer technologies after XP SP1 and WMP8. Well, actually not the older ones either.

A couple of years ago I also used to be brave enough to keep my front door unlocked during the night but I chickened out one night when someone unknown opened and then quickly shut the door and ran away when he/she heard me running to it. I've heard that burglars frequently check if doors are unlocked. So the next person who opens the door will have his image and movements streamed as video to a server at a secret location. :)

ASUSEN7900GTX
08-17-07, 02:48 PM
i have it on notify me but donīt do anything

but i think it is good to get these updates to avoid virus and stuff. yes i know about antivirus but still windows is like swiss cheese so9metimes full of holes and getting these updates is a good thing.

but no i donīt have it on "auto"

grey_1
08-17-07, 02:55 PM
+1

stefan9
08-17-07, 03:19 PM
Auto update for me.

zoomy942
08-17-07, 03:32 PM
Well, I have it automatically download the updates for me, then I chose when and which ones I want installed.

Then again, this is with Vista Ultimate x64 so... :p

+1

Vik1dk
08-17-07, 03:39 PM
Regularly but no auto anything on my box, i like to be in control, call it a power trip if you want:p

SH64
08-17-07, 04:15 PM
Somtimes ... i dont like my computer searching for updates on the background or downloading something without my knowledge.

wrathofgod
08-17-07, 05:31 PM
Update manually once a month or so.

crainger
08-17-07, 05:52 PM
Auto update... Always handy, especially with the chance for more Performance and Reliability patches. Those fixed my Overlord crashes and FPS issues.

einstein_314
08-17-07, 06:03 PM
I have it on notify. Then I update it when I want to. Usually 2 times a week or so.

NaitoSan
08-17-07, 06:40 PM
I have them download and tell me when to install them.

*puts tinfoil hat on*

buffbiff21
08-17-07, 06:49 PM
Not getting Windows Updates is almost like dropping the soap in prison.

S.I.N
08-17-07, 07:32 PM
I don't ever auto update and in fact turn off all the services from msconfig so there not running. When I do a fresh install. I usually download every vital update and thats it. Only time I will turn them back on to update is if it s major/critical update like that one for IE a few months back which was the last time I updated. No issues at all.