PDA

View Full Version : Late Bioshock activation on Steam?

tacos4me
08-17-07, 07:50 PM
According to the countdown on Steam, Bioshock won't be available to play until 4PM EST on Tuesday afternoon. I'm now considering getting a refund. That's ridiculous. I ordered without figuring out the damn countdown, thinking I could jump on early in the morning and play all day like I did with HL2, but I guess that's not happening!

Just figured I'd make people aware.

WeReWoLf
08-17-07, 07:56 PM
Timer looks correct for me... It's the 18th, and it's saying 3 days 19 hours.

tacos4me
08-17-07, 08:16 PM
Timer looks correct for me... It's the 18th, and it's saying 3 days 19 hours.

That's what mine says as well, but I don't think it's very correct. At least I hope it's not. For me it totally defeats the purpose of even buying from Steam. I could drive to the store and be halfway through the game before Steam even lets me play.

I'm assuming retail copies can be purchased and activated anytime after 12:00 AM on Tuesday? I don't see why Steam can't as well. Instead, those who did buy from Steam get to wait until 4PM.

WeReWoLf
08-17-07, 08:24 PM
Well, considering the official release date is the 21st (Tuesday) it looks correct.

ccxvi
08-17-07, 08:29 PM
Does it take time zones into account?

MastCrasher
08-17-07, 08:45 PM
Mod said on the forum it will be activated 1pm PST and 4pm EST.

six_storm
08-17-07, 09:19 PM
That is a bunch of crap. Why can't Steam just activate at 12AM on the 21st in spurts? Are we that behind in the tech world?

crainger
08-17-07, 09:37 PM
Least it's not as bad as EA Link. Imagine a new Sims 2 Expansion has pre loaded and is due for release in a few hours (as per local release). A very excited gf is waiting to play. Then coming back after a couple hours to see the time has been reset to match the Euro release date a full 4 days later!

tacos4me
08-17-07, 09:48 PM
For anyone else that's unhappy about this, you can submit a support ticket and get your order canceled on Steam (since the game has not yet been released) and buy from D2D instead. This is an email from a D2D rep:

Hi ,

There will be a pre-load of this title availble. At this time the pre-load time is not available. The game will be unlocked in the morning (PST) on the game release date.

Regards,

John Hoffman
Lead Technical Support
Digital Distribution - Customer Service

SavagePaladin
08-18-07, 12:13 AM
Wow, so you can get the same thing with D2D, only with a crap activation system. Rock on..........or maybe not.

WeReWoLf
08-18-07, 12:15 AM
At least D2D is probably preloading faster than Steam atm lol

SavagePaladin
08-18-07, 01:14 AM
Gosh thats exciting. I can't see it really mattering unless they unlock early.

nopp0x00
08-18-07, 04:48 AM
Whiny people ... christ. It's only a few more days, for ****'s sake. In the mean time go and play the Bioshock demo.

Assholes who break the street date of the game aren't the problem of Valve. The unlock time is reasonable.

six_storm
08-18-07, 07:25 AM
For anyone else that's unhappy about this, you can submit a support ticket and get your order canceled on Steam (since the game has not yet been released) and buy from D2D instead. This is an email from a D2D rep:

Even "In the morning PST" still means 1-2PM here in CST or EST. Still a bunch of crap. I'm going to price match with CC's sales ad and get it prolly Midnight at Walmart.

Destroy
08-18-07, 07:53 AM
I believe ALL PC versions, retail and download, will only unlock or activate at 4pm EST.

It's the only way to make it fair for stores and online download sites. If the Steam version unlocked at midnight i.e. earliest possible time, then the store would bitch and lose out on sales.

Quick420
08-18-07, 10:20 AM
According to the countdown on Steam, Bioshock won't be available to play until 4PM EST on Tuesday afternoon. I'm now considering getting a refund. That's ridiculous. I ordered without figuring out the damn countdown, thinking I could jump on early in the morning and play all day like I did with HL2, but I guess that's not happening!

Just figured I'd make people aware.

Cant you wait a couple more days? It's just a game dude,support steam and valve not another company.Didnt anyone ever tell you patience is a virtue?;)

tacos4me
08-18-07, 11:34 AM
Cant you wait a couple more days? It's just a game dude,support steam and valve not another company.Didnt anyone ever tell you patience is a virtue?;)

It's not even about waiting or patience, as much as it is just being pissed off about being made to wait while Xbox 360 and retail players to get play all day while I get to wait for the magic unlock signal. I would be completely fine with it if all PC users couldn't activate until 4PM, but that's not how it's going to happen. :rolleyes: