PDA

View Full Version : IS aQ6600 GO that much better then a B3

Pages : [1] 2

john19055
08-18-07, 06:35 PM
I keep hearing don't waste your money on a B3 ,because the GO are so much better.Well I got my Evga 680i-SLI A1 board back and got my Q6600 replacement back from newegg and occoarse they sent me a B3 .Packing date wad 7-23-07,Right now I am just seeing how far it will overclock with a stock core and keeping everthing at auto except my memory ,which I put to 2v .I am at 1.26v running the FSB at 1465 and the memory at 733 and running at 3.3gig(3296.25) and useing Coretemp ,my tempertures are
C#0 35c C#1 32c C#2 32c C#3 35c . I have ran ortho's for a hour on it and it has been stable ,does orthos's run all four cores when it does the torture test.The highest i seen CoreTemp get to was 44c.I guess as I always say it is just the luck of the draw ,how good one will overclock and run.But I kept hearing how some people with the Q6600 B3 was idleing at 50c and I got worried when I seen I had a B3 ,but I could'nt be happier now,I guess a GO may have run cooler ,but this one is doing just fine for me ,I will see how far it will overclock latter on .IT has done better then I thought it would
Plus this Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is one helll of a air cooler,I sanded it with 800,1000,1500 and 2000grit sand papper and buff it where I could see myself and used a thin coat of Artic silver 5.

SH64
08-18-07, 08:07 PM
Wondering the same. i have the chance to get a B3 Q6600 right away , but looking at all these G0 recommendations made me hold off the purchase.

i dont wanna come here tomorrow & you guys tell me why the heck i bought the B3 & didnt get a g0!

& a note on same matter : i dont care much about overclocking.

Rytr
08-18-07, 08:35 PM
If you want a quad and are not interested in overclocking there should be little to hold you back at the current pricing of < $300 I would think. Anyway, the Q6600 should be able to easily run 1333MHz with adequate cooling, a capable motherboard, and some good PC6400 ram.

I have thought about it but I would have to give up one of my E6600's. I have yet to see the benefit except for multi-tasking.

Greasy
08-18-07, 09:14 PM
Here's a pretty good comparison article.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3066

CaptNKILL
08-19-07, 07:42 AM
If you already have a core 2, don't bother with a quad until the 45nm Xeons are out. I really don't think it'll help much yet, and the 45nm chips will be faster and cooler. They are probably going to be overclocking monsters too.

wollyka
08-19-07, 11:00 AM
If you already have a core 2, don't bother with a quad until the 45nm Xeons are out. I really don't think it'll help much yet, and the 45nm chips will be faster and cooler. They are probably going to be overclocking monsters too.
+1

BrianG
08-19-07, 11:03 AM
Wondering the same. i have the chance to get a B3 Q6600 right away , but looking at all these G0 recommendations made me hold off the purchase.

i dont wanna come here tomorrow & you guys tell me why the heck i bought the B3 & didnt get a g0!

& a note on same matter : i dont care much about overclocking.
If you can get it at a good price, go ahead and get a B3. I am at 3.0GHz, undervolted (1.3V in BIOS, 1.26V idle, 1.22V load). My CPU cooler is on par with the Zalman 9700, PWM fan controlled by the mobo. My idle temps are mid to upper 40s, load temps are mid to upper 60s. The system is very quiet given the power available with 1200 rpm 120mm fans turning 800rpms and the CPU cooler turning only 1000rpm at idle. After an hour of four Orthos instances, the CPU fan is turning 1700rpm and the case fans 1000rpm, still quiet. The loudest fan in my system is now the 8800GTX whenever it ramps up while gaming.

I may get an Ultima 90 and move this PWM led fan from the Asus cooler to it and try to OC a bit more, but I don't know why I would need anymore horsepower other than for bragging rights. Quake4 and CoD2 barely get the CPU to push out of the 6x multiplier as the temps only go up a few degrees from idle. Bioshock will probably be the Quads first real test.

I had thought about waiting for a G0, but I got this B3 and mobo for $299 the weekend of the price drop from the local Fry's. I sold the mobo for $30. Not bad. The G0 will give you more headroom, though you could still have one that is not a good overclocker. john's example above, he got a relatively cool B3 and is happy. Anand only got a few hundred more out of their G0. Other message boards have shown some pretty amazing OCs, but they are likely not as worried about noise and insane voltages. I would rather have something I could live with.

SH64
08-19-07, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info Brain ^ :)

Get a Yorkfield 45nm Extreme Edition this November or a Xeon based on the same architecture.
But i want the quad now for LP , Bioshock & other incoming games. (MOH:Ab , CoD4 ..etc)
plus i'm not sure if the Yorkfield will work on my Abit AB9 (965) mobo :confused:

BrianG
08-19-07, 03:54 PM

But i want the quad now for LP , Bioshock & other incoming games. (MOH:Ab , CoD4 ..etc)
plus i'm not sure if the Yorkfield will work on my Abit AB9 (965) mobo :confused:
NP!

Price drop Yorkies will probably be my next platform change, X38 ot P35, whatever NVIDIA has and 4-8GB DDR3.

robngamer
08-19-07, 04:37 PM

I dont think Bioshock will benefit from a quad.

Vengeance
08-19-07, 04:42 PM
I keep hearing don't waste your money on a B3 ,because the GO are so much better.Well I got my Evga 680i-SLI A1 board back and got my Q6600 replacement back from newegg and occoarse they sent me a B3 .Packing date wad 7-23-07,Right now I am just seeing how far it will overclock with a stock core and keeping everthing at auto except my memory ,which I put to 2v .I am at 1.26v running the FSB at 1465 and the memory at 733 and running at 3.3gig(3296.25) and useing Coretemp ,my tempertures are
C#0 35c C#1 32c C#2 32c C#3 35c . I have ran ortho's for a hour on it and it has been stable ,does orthos's run all four cores when it does the torture test.The highest i seen CoreTemp get to was 44c.I guess as I always say it is just the luck of the draw ,how good one will overclock and run.But I kept hearing how some people with the Q6600 B3 was idleing at 50c and I got worried when I seen I had a B3 ,but I could'nt be happier now,I guess a GO may have run cooler ,but this one is doing just fine for me ,I will see how far it will overclock latter on .IT has done better then I thought it would
Plus this Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is one helll of a air cooler,I sanded it with 800,1000,1500 and 2000grit sand papper and buff it where I could see myself and used a thin coat of Artic silver 5.

Wow nice temps, what cooler are you running? Right now I only have the stock cooler and my temps are high C#0 is like 60c and the rest are all in the high 50+c :(

SH64
08-19-07, 04:50 PM
Even if its not , i want to be ready for any upcoming title that supports multi-core CPUs.
for the time being i have DiRT & LP.

BrianG
08-19-07, 05:01 PM
From and interviwer on UE3...

Q. How will Unreal Tournament 3 use multiple cores on a CPU? Does it take advantage of Quad Core CPU's? If so, how/what task is assigned to each core?

A. Unreal Engine 3 is a transitional multithreaded architecture. It runs two heavyweight threads, and a pool of helper threads.

The primary thread is responsible for running UnrealScript AI and gameplay logic and networking. The secondary thread is responsible for all rendering work. The pool of helper threads accelerate additional modular tasks such as physics, data decompression, and streaming.

Thus UE3 runs significantly faster on CPUs which support two or more high-performance threads. This includes dual-core Intel and AMD PC CPUs, the Xbox 360 (which sports 3 CPU cores and 2 hardware threads per core), and PlayStation 3 (with 1 CPU core running 2 high-performance hardware threads per core.)

Beyond two cores or hardware threads, UE3 performance continues to scale up, as the additional threads accelerate physics and decompression work. However, not all scenes are performance-bound by such things, so there are diminishing returns as you go beyond 4 cores. By the time CPUs with large numbers of cores are available – thinking 16-core and beyond – we’ll be on the start of a new engine generation, with some significant changes in software architecture to enable greater scaling.

I am sure we'll see performance comparisons, but the Quad has felt better for every application I have used, whether it fully utilizes it or not as the usual Vista background noise and apps do not cuase hitches or stuttering. Readyboost seems to help as well.

robngamer
08-19-07, 05:14 PM

Q. How will Unreal Tournament 3 use multiple cores on a CPU? Does it take advantage of Quad Core CPU's? If so, how/what task is assigned to each core?

A. Unreal Engine 3 is a transitional multithreaded architecture. It runs two heavyweight threads, and a pool of helper threads.

The primary thread is responsible for running UnrealScript AI and gameplay logic and networking. The secondary thread is responsible for all rendering work. The pool of helper threads accelerate additional modular tasks such as physics, data decompression, and streaming.

Thus UE3 runs significantly faster on CPUs which support two or more high-performance threads. This includes dual-core Intel and AMD PC CPUs, the Xbox 360 (which sports 3 CPU cores and 2 hardware threads per core), and PlayStation 3 (with 1 CPU core running 2 high-performance hardware threads per core.)

Beyond two cores or hardware threads, UE3 performance continues to scale up, as the additional threads accelerate physics and decompression work. However, not all scenes are performance-bound by such things, so there are diminishing returns as you go beyond 4 cores. By the time CPUs with large numbers of cores are available – thinking 16-core and beyond – we’ll be on the start of a new engine generation, with some significant changes in software architecture to enable greater scaling.

I am sure we'll see performance comparisons, but the Quad has felt better for every application I have used, whether it fully utilizes it or not as the usual Vista background noise and apps do not cuase hitches or stuttering. Readyboost seems to help as well.

Well I was aware that UE3 was to take advantage of Quad but we are talking about bioshock. I have yet to see any news of bioshock getting a performance increase from a quad core CPU.

robngamer
08-19-07, 05:19 PM
Even if its not , i want to be ready for any upcoming title that supports multi-core CPUs.
for the time being i have DiRT & LP.

Yeah I have DiRT and LP as well so I have been tempted a couple of times myself but after seeing the benchies of LP comparing a Quad to a Dual Core CPU the only time there was a difference was when they were inside one of the cave locations, the Snow part scored exactly the same as A dual core CPU running the same frequency. And heck, dual core CPU at 3.6ghz already runs the cave parts in LP way over 60fps anyway so whats the point?

As for DiRT I cant speak of it because I have not seen any comparisons from Dual to Quad.

I just dont see the need in a quad right now but hey its your money so do what makes you happy. ;)

Im gonna hold out a couple more months for the 45nm quads as I have a feeling it will be well worth the wait, and by then Crysis will be coming out and we will finally truly have the need for an upgrade to a quad core cpu.

CaptNKILL
08-19-07, 05:26 PM

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/195/Ask-Tim-Quad-vs-Dual-Cores-for-Gaming

VE - Assuming you were making a new rig to run today and tomorrow's games, which CPU would you recommend at the $266 price point? A Quad-core Q6000 2.4GHz or Dual-Core E6850 3.0GHz?

Tim - If you're buying a CPU primarily for gaming, the sweet spot of the market seems to be dual-core. There, you can get a higher clock rate than is available (at least economically) in quad-core. All UE3 games, for example, scale really well to two cores, and you get significantly more performance than single-core much of the time. Though UE3 and many other engines scale somewhat to 4 cores, the benefits aren't huge.

That will change in a couple of years, but that's another upgrade cycle.

If you plan to do heavy level-building and mod making, I'd recommend quad-core. The development tools scale well to quad-core, having lots of content authoring apps open in Windows benefits from quad-core, and if you're going to be running a dedicated server on your machine to test a mod while also playing on that machine, it helps for that.

Quad is obviously better, but its most likely not going to matter as much as higher clock speed.

BrianG
08-19-07, 06:09 PM
Well I was aware that UE3 was to take advantage of Quad but we are talking about bioshock. I have yet to see any news of bioshock getting a performance increase from a quad core CPU.
Bioshock is uses the UE3 engine.

BrianG
08-19-07, 06:12 PM
Quad is obviously better, but its most likely not going to matter as much as higher clock speed.
Agreed. It is much like when the first Duals came out. I am happy with the choice to go Quad.

robngamer
08-19-07, 06:57 PM
Bioshock is uses the UE3 engine.

Cool, I did not know that;)

SH64
08-20-07, 08:13 PM
Dirt and LP are two average games at best imo.
Yorkfield will be out just in time for UT3, Crysis and CoD4. You already have a nice rig, it should be easy for you to wait until this November (Yorkfield launch November 11). It'll be worth it!
LP is not an avarage game IMO. its one of the top titles i played for this year graphics & gameplay-wise.
it got even better with the new DX10 patch.
thats how i see it anyway , others might disagree.

in anyway i'm still weighting my options : to get a Q6600 now or not!

$n][pErMan
08-20-07, 09:53 PM
It's not like the price of the Q6600 will go up... so why rush? Look into what you need it for and if it is really worth the money. Hell, the longer you wait the better chance you will get a G0 if you order online as opposed to going to a store anyway :p I am still debating the move to quad myself. Sure $289 is cheap for a quad CPU... but do I really need it is still my question. I plan on waiting for benchmarks in some nice games that are coming out.

SH64
08-20-07, 10:10 PM
[pErMan']It's not like the price of the Q6600 will go up... so why rush? Look into what you need it for and if it is really worth the money. Hell, the longer you wait the better chance you will get a G0 if you order online as opposed to going to a store anyway :p I am still debating the move to quad myself. Sure $289 is cheap for a quad CPU... but do I really need it is still my question. I plan on waiting for benchmarks in some nice games that are coming out.
Yep thats why i'm still debating ..

robngamer
08-20-07, 11:14 PM
A lot of people are simply buying quads now because its something new to them and its finally affordable.

But truth is if your buying it for gaming as of now you are throwing away your hard earned $$$.

john19055
08-22-07, 12:36 PM
I am useing a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with a Silverstone 110cfm,and it does a good job at cooling.The B3 Q6600 I have does good at overclocking and it does not run hot with the cooler I have ,I am just running it at stock core voltage at 1.26v and running it overclocked at 3.3gigs.

SH0DAN
08-22-07, 02:36 PM

ent of thread..... Capt is right.Unless of course you fold and encode a lot like me,and want a quiet computer thats overclocked. :D