PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between cpu temp and core temp?

Jon
08-19-07, 06:30 AM
As the weathers getting hot, I'm using everest a lot to watch my Q6600 temps. According to everest, when idle, my cpu temp is 25 degrees but my cores range from 48-52 degrees. So which temp should I be watching? Cpu or core?

npras42
08-19-07, 12:43 PM
I think when it says CPU temp it means the ambient temp. The one you should look out for most is core temp, but this is heavily influenced by the ambient temp.

lightman
08-19-07, 03:48 PM
I think when it says CPU temp it means the ambient temp. The one you should look out for most is core temp, but this is heavily influenced by the ambient temp.

Nope. CPU temp usually refers to the temperature on the heat spreader of the CPU (although I think that some (if not all) motherboards read it from directly below the cpu, but don't quote me on that), Core temp is the temperature read on the single cores, inside the spreader.

CaptNKILL
08-19-07, 04:32 PM
I don't think I'd go by the core temps myself. It could just be my system, but my core temps seem way too low at 17C and 15C idle right now. Overclocked 1Ghz at 1.5v.

My CPU temp is a much more reasonable 24C, which is still pretty chilly.

My CPU temp tops out around 55C under full orthos load. The core temps are around 10C cooler. I know this heat sink is great, but I'm not going to bet on my CPU idling at 10 degrees below room temperature with a massive voltage and clock speed increase.

Rummy
08-19-07, 06:53 PM
I think core Temp is off by 15 deg on the new cpu's. The T-junction should red 100 instead of 85 for the new cpu's that's why core temp seems too low. The temp is actually 15 deg hotter. so if you're using core temp and the cpu reads 17 it's actually 32. That's with the newer core 2's

npras42
08-19-07, 07:33 PM
lol I couldn't have been more wrong. :sry:

Just thought that 25 degrees (i.e. room temp) was a bit low for any cpu temp.