PDA

View Full Version : Belated hats off to nVidia, the GF4 rocks!

Pages : [1] 2 3

digitalwanderer
04-05-03, 09:25 AM
I got my 128MB Gainsward GF4 ti4400 yesterday and put it in and all I can say is "WOW!!!". I thought the jump from a GF3 to a GF4 was going to be minor, but it's really impressed me in both big and little ways....I'm VERY impressed! :)

Ok, so I'm about a generation behind...but better late then never. I do understand some of the nVidiots around here in their blind loyalty to nVidia now a bit better, they really do make some excellent viddy hardware!

Unreal2 and Mafia have really shined for me with the new card compared to being barely playable before, it's sweet! I look forward to getting some time soon to play around with it more, I haven't even found out it's max OC yet! :eek: I'm running it at 286/648 for now, I'll push it harder later. ;)

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Just "geek happy with a toy new" babblings, but I figure I owe it to nVidia to give 'em happy words when they're due...and I really am impressed with how much of a bump this card is for me system. :D

(BTW-9600 onions in 3dm2k1se (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6278248), I don't like 3dm2k3 yet. :| )

darkmiasma
04-05-03, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Captain Beige
lol you boast about 3dmark2001se (which is crap anyway) but don't like 3dmark2003 yet? when will you like it? when you get a card that can run it lol :rolleyes:

should've got a 9500pro...

hey captain, why don't you STFU ... digi came in to say he was happy and you have to go be a POS troll and piss on him.

i am really sick of seeing this kind of behavior in the forums lately. honestly, why can't you just be happy for someone and not make some nasty statement about their purchase.

- mike

ps. congrats digi ... i think my ti4280 is awesome ... much better than my GF3Ti200 was ...

jAkUp
04-05-03, 09:47 AM
congrats too... i never owned a geforce4, but i have had friends, and i also think its a really great card. you may be a generation behind, but you really dont need any more than that for just about any game on the shelf.

digitalwanderer
04-05-03, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Captain Beige
lol you boast about 3dmark2001se (which is crap anyway) but don't like 3dmark2003 yet? when will you like it? when you get a card that can run it lol :rolleyes:

To be honest, yup. :) Same as 3dm2k1se, I was a late adopter of it too. I'll give 3dm2k3 a shot again with this card, but I really don't see the point of watching a slideshow just so I can have a bad number to look at when it really ain't indicative of real world gaming. (YET! Just like 3dm2k1 was when it just came out, same with 3dm2k when it came out....I was still running FutureMark99. :rolleyes: )

I will use 3dm2k3 I'm sure, when games get a bit more advanced. But when my rig can run any game out there pretty well, but runs 3dm2k3 sh!tty I sort of figure it ain't time to rely on it yet. ;)

should've got a 9500pro...

No argument there, and if I could have found one for $100us I would have...but they ain't that cheap yet or even nearly so for a decent one and this is a pretty sweet GF4 for what I paid for it. :)

Thanks for the defense darkmiasma, but it's cool. I can handle some flames, I got used to it over at R3D back when I got me GF2 MX400. (And my GF3, and this GF4.... :rolleyes: )

Funny thing? They're being pretty cool/positive about it over at R3D in the OT lounge, they know I'm just in it for better gaming at the cheapest I can get. ;)

walkndude
04-05-03, 09:55 AM
Congrats DW, now crank that puppy up and see what she can do :)

Hey Dark, instead of biting on the fud just click on "report this post to a moderator".

volt
04-05-03, 10:35 AM
lol you boast about 3dmark2001se (which is crap anyway) but don't like 3dmark2003 yet? when will you like it? when you get a card that can run it lol

I love doing this publicly, expecially when someone disables their PMs (Captain Beige)

Your bullsh1t is piling up on you buddy, just a few more of your troll-type comments and you will be out of here.

Cheers :)

ChrisRay
04-05-03, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I got my 128MB Gainsward GF4 ti4400 yesterday and put it in and all I can say is "WOW!!!". I thought the jump from a GF3 to a GF4 was going to be minor, but it's really impressed me in both big and little ways....I'm VERY impressed! :)

Ok, so I'm about a generation behind...but better late then never. I do understand some of the nVidiots around here in their blind loyalty to nVidia now a bit better, they really do make some excellent viddy hardware!

Unreal2 and Mafia have really shined for me with the new card compared to being barely playable before, it's sweet! I look forward to getting some time soon to play around with it more, I haven't even found out it's max OC yet! :eek: I'm running it at 286/648 for now, I'll push it harder later. ;)

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Just "geek happy with a toy new" babblings, but I figure I owe it to nVidia to give 'em happy words when they're due...and I really am impressed with how much of a bump this card is for me system. :D

(BTW-9600 onions in 3dm2k1se (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6278248), I don't like 3dm2k3 yet. :| )

Grats man, What do you think of the Quincunx AA? Offering the same performance as 2x and better quality? I Loved Quincunx because it was a logical Anti Aliasing to use on the card?

Glad to see your happy with your purchase, Wish I had bought a Ti 4400 and not a 4200 a while back

hmm I didn't realise you had a celeron digital. How does that work for you?

hondas2k
04-05-03, 10:43 AM
Congrats! I just got mine a couple of months ago and am thrilled with it. I tried a 128MB Radeon 8500 first and never could get it to work but the GF4 fired right up and I have not had any problems with it.

Kirk

darkmiasma
04-05-03, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by walkndude
Congrats DW, now crank that puppy up and see what she can do :)

Hey Dark, instead of biting on the fud just click on "report this post to a moderator".

I definately will next time.

digitalwanderer
04-05-03, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Grats man, What do you think of the Quincunx AA? Offering the same performance as 2x and better quality? I Loved Quincunx because it was a logical Anti Aliasing to use on the card?

It's weird, but I swear Quincunx doesn't look blurry on this card. It always looked blurry to me on my GF3, but it's pretty sharp on this one. Is it a hardware difference?

I'm liking the "4xS" setting so far with Mafia, but I've really only had a few hours last night to really play with it.

hmm I didn't realise you had a celeron digital. How does that work for you?

Like the bee's -freaking- nuts! That Tuly is just an insane little cheap for the money! I really should have just picked up a 1.3 and OCed it since it was only $60us at the show I was at, but for $90 I could pick up the fastest CPU my mobo could take and I'm a sucker for it. (Besides, it still was below my critical $100 mental pricepoint. ;) ) I have a decent all-copper cooler on it with a quiet fan and the sucker runs all day at 1.75Mhz, and games seem to like that high (for this mobo) FSB. :D

I HIGHLY recomend the Tuly line of CPUs, they've been sweet to me. :)

ChrisRay
04-05-03, 11:08 AM
It's weird, but I swear Quincunx doesn't look blurry on this card. It always looked blurry to me on my GF3, but it's pretty sharp on this one. Is it a hardware difference?

I'm liking the "4xS" setting so far with Mafia, but I've really only had a few hours last night to really play with it.

Ya Quincunx looks different on a geforce 4 verses 3, It does blur but it never bothered me at all except for Neverwinter Nights.

Get A-tuner and try 4x 9 tap, 6x, 6xS 8x, 8xS and 4x Super Sampling. Geforce 4 cards have amazing amounts of Anti Aliasing ;)

Like the bee's -freaking- nuts! That Tuly is just an insane little cheap for the money! I really should have just picked up a 1.3 and OCed it since it was only $60us at the show I was at, but for $90 I could pick up the fastest CPU my mobo could take and I'm a sucker for it. (Besides, it still was below my critical $100 mental pricepoint. ) I have a decent all-copper cooler on it with a quiet fan and the sucker runs all day at 1.75Mhz, and games seem to like that high (for this mobo) FSB.

I HIGHLY recomend the Tuly line of CPUs, they've been sweet to me.

Heh I have a 400 mhz Celeron PC I use for a server, it does the trick. I've just been using AMD so long its hard to go back to intel. Its mainly because of the familiarity of the Via chipset.

But hey if works great for you, Darn tooten ;)

I was actually impressed with your CPU results, For a Celeron that is ;)

How do you fare in most games? That Celly should have SSE2 optimisation? Thats the one thing I want that Intel has

walkndude
04-05-03, 11:11 AM
Yeah digital, quin looks like mud on a gf3, but looks damn fine on the ti series of cards...

digitalwanderer
04-05-03, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
How do you fare in most games? That Celly should have SSE2 optimisation? Thats the one thing I want that Intel has

KICKING!!! :D

I always call it a Tuly rather than a Celly now since it's a lot closer to a PIII than a celery, the 256K cache of L2 really puts it in a different league than standard celerons. Yes it has SSE2, and yes it games like a mofo!!!!

It really does sort of strike me as the best of both the PIII & celeron world, and that's coming from a guy who has a PIII800 and a celeron 1Ghz in his other rigs. ;)

Originally posted by walkndude
Yeah digital, quin looks like mud on a gf3, but looks damn fine on the ti series of cards...

Yeah, and it's like nothing as a performance hit...I could get used to this EASY! :D

I've got rivatuner installed, I'll be playing around with the extry AA settings later...thanks for all the input! :)

DSC
04-05-03, 11:52 AM
Sorry to nitpick, but P3 and Celerons based on P3 cores only have SSE, SSE2 is only available on P4 cores and the new mobile Pentium-M. :p :D

digitalwanderer
04-05-03, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by DSC
Sorry to nitpick, but P3 and Celerons based on P3 cores only have SSE, SSE2 is only available on P4 cores and the new mobile Pentium-M. :p :D

I stand corrected, thanks. :)

I STILL love me tuly! :p

MuFu
04-05-03, 02:27 PM
Yeah, the Ti4400 is a great card. I had a OEM model and it overclocked through the roof - 315/720MHz with a waterblock on the core.

Still think I'd get a 9500 Pro now though.

MuFu.

digitalwanderer
04-05-03, 02:32 PM
WOW!

I GET IT now! I never understood why people would disable v-sync, now I do...

...it's an AA thing!

With v-sync enabled 4xAA is always gonna be about 42 fps on an 85Mhz monitor no matter how good it is, and 6xAA around 26 fps...but after I disable it I'm getting more like 80 fps & 60 fps in the same situation and damn near no tearing like there used to be on me GF3 when I disabled v-sync! :D

Sorry if I'm babbling on like a newbie with a new toy, but I'm pretty much a newbie with a new toy right now and am being happily surprised at every turn. :) This card is performing better than I hoped it would, and I had some pretty high hopes.

It'll last me for a while, at least until I find a 9700 Pro deal or something. ;)

EDITED BITS: BTW-Thanks for the tip on aTuner, I really like it. Small, simple, and does exactly what it's supposed to. (Plus it's a bit more up-to-date than RivaTuner ;) )

ChrisRay
04-05-03, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
WOW!

...it's an AA thing!

With v-sync enabled 4xAA is always gonna be about 42 fps on an 85Mhz monitor no matter how good it is, and 6xAA around 26 fps...but after I disable it I'm getting more like 80 fps & 60 fps in the same situation and damn near no tearing like there used to be on me GF3 when I disabled v-sync! :D

Sorry if I'm babbling on like a newbie with a new toy, but I'm pretty much a newbie with a new toy right now and am being happily surprised at every turn. :) This card is performing better than I hoped it would, and I had some pretty high hopes.

It'll last me for a while, at least until I find a 9700 Pro deal or something. ;)

EDITED BITS: BTW-Thanks for the tip on aTuner, I really like it. Small, simple, and does exactly what it's supposed to. (Plus it's a bit more up-to-date than RivaTuner ;) )

Sure what do you think of those modern Anti Aliasing settings? Mode 7 (The true 8xS) not the crappy implementation the placed on the geforceFX)

Is the best Anti Aliasing Quality I have ever seen, But incredibly slow. But you oughta get betetr results on a Ti 4400 ;)

Btw another trick is to use the optimisation modes for Anistropic Filtering, You can do it manually but the optimised results produce the best result.

Should provide a marginal loss in IQ, But increased performance in AF by about 30%

mreman4k
04-05-03, 03:39 PM
When I had my Radeon 8500 and GeForce 4 MX 420 I always wanted a a GF4 Ti card. Those things were explosive fo sheeezeeee. But now AA/AF hath spoiled thy. Good get nonetheless.

Nutty
04-06-03, 05:25 AM

...it's an AA thing!

With v-sync enabled 4xAA is always gonna be about 42 fps on an 85Mhz monitor no matter how good it is, and 6xAA around 26 fps...but after I disable it I'm getting more like 80 fps & 60 fps in the same situation and damn near no tearing like there used to be on me GF3 when I disabled v-sync!

Surely if you force triple buffering you can have Vsync on, without the frame-rate drop? Or is triple buffering not possible in certain AA modes?

Have to say I haven't tried quincunx since my gf3, and I wasn't impressed, think I'll give it another go.

StealthHawk
04-06-03, 06:25 AM
how do you force triple buffering in D3D?

Kruno
04-06-03, 07:21 AM
Or is triple buffering not possible in certain AA modes?

Only if the VRAM is there.

marqmajere
04-06-03, 07:31 AM
Enjoy that 4400. These G4's are rock solid, IMO. They only thing I regret about mine is that I didn't buy it sooner. :D

digitalwanderer
04-06-03, 10:18 AM
Triple buffering helps speed up AA? Man, I feel SO out-of-tune with this card...but I'm having a WHOLE lot of fun getting in-tune with it. :)

I tried 8xS AA yesterday and it was incredible...but on the original SoF I only get about 33 FPS, but it IS beautiful!

What is the "S" in 4xS, 8xS, etc...and what is the diff with 4x9 sample? I have no clue what the words really mean, is there a tutorial on it or a good newbie's guide somewhere?

WAY too much fun playing Mafia, I keep just firing it up to see how the new settings look and end up playing it just going, "WOOOOOOW!", looking at the pretty backgrounds. (Great game too. ;) )

The Baron
04-06-03, 11:54 AM
Dig, I think it's supersampling.