PDA

View Full Version : Transferring saves in Oblivion...

Redeemed
08-19-07, 05:29 PM
Hopefully a quick question...

I had beaten Oblivion on another computer, and had a character with pretty decent armor and weaponry. I just installed Oblivion on my computer, and was wondering how to transfer the data for my character from the other computer to my computer. My computer is running Vista, the other is running XP. I've tried copying the saves over from the other computer to the saves directory on my computer- but my old saved games don't show up.

Does anybody know how to this successfully? TIA.

Uberpwnage
08-19-07, 05:48 PM
It worked for me when I upgraded from XP to Vista, I just copied the entire oblivion directory in the "My games" folder in "My Documents".

It could be a configuration problem, since the I was using the same PC just different windows installations.

Are you using the same patch?

Redeemed
08-19-07, 05:52 PM
It worked for me when I upgraded from XP to Vista, I just copied the entire oblivion directory in the "My games" folder in "My Documents".

It could be a configuration problem, since the I was using the same PC just different windows installations.

Are you using the same patch?

Yup. Only difference is on my computer I have Knights of the Nine installed. I didn't try transferring the old Oblivion directory over to "My Games"- I'm sure that'd take a while over the network though... I might have to give that a shot.

Uberpwnage
08-19-07, 06:27 PM
Yup. Only difference is on my computer I have Knights of the Nine installed. I didn't try transferring the old Oblivion directory over to "My Games"- I'm sure that'd take a while over the network though... I might have to give that a shot.

The "oblivion directory" i was talking about should be located in "C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games" for vista and "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games" for XP, its only a 5MB folder containing the saves and .ini files. That should be all you have to copy. Sorry if my first post was confusing.

Redeemed
08-19-07, 10:10 PM
The "oblivion directory" i was talking about should be located in "C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games" for vista and "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Games" for XP, its only a 5MB folder containing the saves and .ini files. That should be all you have to copy. Sorry if my first post was confusing.

Well, that's actually what I did. Didn't work... :(

Uberpwnage
08-20-07, 01:41 AM
I figured as much, I just installed oblivion again today, for the first time since my reformat, stock w/ no patches and my saves showed up. That really sucks dude, I don't know why they arent showing up. I lost my high level character when my main drive died, shame on me for not backing up :o

LurkerLito
08-20-07, 08:25 AM
I just did this yesterday :). It seems everything worked. I just copied the my documents -> My Games -> Oblivion folder to the equivalent in Vista. Then I installed Oblivion on the new Vista machine. Then I deleted the contents of the directory and then transfered the contents of the one installed on my older PC. That allowed me to get all the mods I had running installed with no trouble. The only thing is I had to do is run the game on the older PC and look at the enabled mods and enable those same mods on my vista box so that the save games could load without giving me an error.