PDA

View Full Version : BioShock Moral Issue?

Pages : [1] 2

MaUiLoCaL
08-19-07, 09:17 PM
So what's it going to be fellas? Save Little Sister or harvest her for Adam?

:angel: or :kill:

http://imageigloo.com/images/9892bioshock-20061222104424414.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3162017

For instance, you need plasmids to survive. In order to obtain more plasmids, you need a substance called Adam. Once plentiful in Rapture's less turbulent days, Adam is now a precious commodity, and the only reliable source lies within orphaned young girls dubbed the Little Sisters. The catch? That would be the Big Daddies....

While there are unique splicer characters that provide the traditional "boss" fights, the Big Daddy is BioShock's adversarial centerpiece. But what makes them unique is also the game's moral centerpiece: He doesn't choose to fight you; you have to make the decision to terminate him. And since the end result is an increase in Adam, it's a decision ultimately driven by your own greed. You may fear him, but you have no reason to hate the Big Daddy. When he's defending a Sister from a pack of splicers, it's hard not to root for his rivet gun. And when he bends to one knee to allow her to retreat to the safety of her hiding hole in the wall, it's a legitimately touching moment.

But what must be done must be done. You set some mines, load your shotgun with explosive buck, wait until the Daddy's back is turned, and then you kill him. Defenseless and heartbroken, the Little Sister doesn't see you approach. You grab her, violently, and then...then you have to answer this question: "Can a videogame really make me feel guilty?"

If it can, then you save the girl. If it can't...well, then the game changes according to what you've done.

The Big Daddy, the soul of BioShock, isn't a pure moral mirror. Saving the girl for less Adam doesn't make you a saint, and harvesting her for more Adam (killing her in the process) doesn't mean you need to look into counseling. Not by any means. But it's the interaction that's interesting: Do you actually feel guilty or sympathetic? By saving her life, are you as protective of her as the Big Daddy was? Do you just not care because it's only a videogame? What's remarkable about BioShock is that, however you answer these questions, it's legitimate. If you allow it, the game can get into your head as much as you can get into the game.

And then, just as you're doing what you are "supposed" to do ever since you swam through the airplane wreckage but were never really told why...the game really gets into your head. You feel something different entirely.

crainger
08-19-07, 09:29 PM
I'm gonna save them all!

MaUiLoCaL
08-19-07, 09:34 PM
I'm gonna save them all!

And forsake more plasmids?;)

PaiN
08-19-07, 09:39 PM
I don't think I'll have any prob. what-so-ever, playing though the game first "saving" them all, then once again "killing the brats" :D
There are separate endings depending on what course you take anyway

|MaguS|
08-19-07, 09:41 PM
I'm gonna save them all!

Pokemon?

crainger
08-19-07, 09:48 PM
And forsake more plasmids?;)

Yep. Plasmids are for floppers.

jAkUp
08-19-07, 09:49 PM
I'm going to save them :D

spaceigg
08-19-07, 10:08 PM
If I have the option of saving them, I will save them!

S.I.N
08-19-07, 10:11 PM
Damn why did I click and read this thread. Now tell us the ending.:thumbdwn:

crainger
08-19-07, 10:14 PM
Damn why did I click and read this thread. Now tell us the ending.:thumbdwn:

Big Daddy is actually your Big Mommy.

MaUiLoCaL
08-19-07, 10:36 PM

:wonder:

Sazar
08-19-07, 10:38 PM

Big Daddy is in your pants

:naughty:

nV`andrew
08-19-07, 10:40 PM
Pokemon?

My Pokemanz. You can't see them.

:wonder:

SH64
08-19-07, 10:43 PM
I dont know. i just want the damn game.

MaUiLoCaL
08-19-07, 10:45 PM
Yep. Plasmids are for floppers.

Spoken like Teh Bigman himself.

As for me I will save them.:)

crainger
08-19-07, 10:49 PM
I'm going to complete the whole game with nothing but 1 med kit, and my own two fists, becuase that's all a real man needs...

Big Daddy? pffft. Say hello to Big Man!

evox
08-19-07, 10:53 PM
Will.Harvest.Them.All.

Killing Little Girls FTW!

crainger
08-19-07, 10:58 PM
Will.Harvest.Them.All.

LOL!

See, games have no effect on our minds what-so-ever.

Well I'm of to hijack and few hookers and run over headcrabs.

vandalous
08-19-07, 11:08 PM
I'm saving them. BTW, the demo is available on Fileplanet now. I reserved it when they started taking reservations and it's downloading now... woot!

Edit - woops... sorry for the repost. I missed the other thread about the preload demo. :D I blame Gib!

Madpistol
08-20-07, 12:01 AM
Will.Harvest.Them.All.

You sick bastard!!! :(

2nd time through the game, I will probably kill all of them too. It's like when I played Star Wars: KOTOR. I always was good the first time though. After that, I killed everyone and everything for the hell of it. I love video games. :D

vandalous
08-20-07, 12:16 AM
I will probably kill all of them too. It's like when I played Star Wars: KOTOR. I always was good the first time though. After that, I killed everyone and everything for the hell of it. I love video games.

QFT! I always play the game as the good guy the 1st time and then try more "deviant" tracks afterwards. I loved the Fallout games because they made it so easy to do. The KOTOR games were very similar as well. Yay for living vicariously through games!

But wait, this must mean that I'm a sociopath that will kill bunnies and shoot people, according to Jack Thompson! O noes! :rolleyes:

NaitoSan
08-20-07, 12:25 AM
i will feel sorry to kill those little sisters. :( i mean, it's already touching to see stay behind, scared, big daddy's protecting her, beating the **** out of other encounters.

i'm gonna save them all, that's for sure.

WeReWoLf
08-20-07, 12:27 AM
Lol, well i kill rabbits every chance i get, and shot people at the paintball place, so i guess i'm jack thompsons vision coming true. As soon as i dismember a hooker with a baseball bat, i know i've reached my full potential.

crainger
08-20-07, 12:40 AM
Lol, well i kill rabbits every chance i get, and shot people at the paintball place, so i guess i'm jack thompsons vision coming true. As soon as i dismember a hooker with a baseball bat, i know i've reached my full potential.

Crap! I've been paintballing rabbits and killing people! I've been making an idiot out of myself!

CaptNKILL
08-20-07, 01:22 AM
LOL!

See, games have no effect on our minds what-so-ever.

Well I'm of to hijack and few hookers and run over headcrabs.
You're probably going to give the hookers "headcrabs" after the kinds of men you've been with lately... :captnkill: