PDA

View Full Version : SilverStone Strider 100 Watt PSU is making noises on boot up.

Digital_Trans
08-20-07, 02:09 AM
I've been using the new SilverStone Strider 1000 Watt PSU. I noticed when ever I do a fresh cold boot up that I can hear))) the power supply start making a hissing sound. After about 1 minute or so the sound goes away. What could it be? I do have alot of hardware running on this power supply as follows...

Connected Hardware:

Koolance Watercooling Case Model: PC3-720SL
Intel Quad Core Extreme Edition QX6800 2.93GHz
ASUS Striker Extreme nForce 680i Intel Edition
ASUS AGEIA PhysX PCI 128MB-DDR3
EVGA 8800 GTX KO ACS³ Edition
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality X64-Ram
Western Digital SATA-150GB-Raptor
Western Digital SATA-150GB-Raptor
Western Digital SATA-320GB-Caviar SE
LG DVD/CD Dual Layer Burner Model: GSA-H55N

Digital_Trans
08-20-07, 01:32 PM
Usually the highest load is during the first seconds of the start-up. AFAIK this PSU is a dual rail PSU with is very bad. Maybe your load too much on the second rail or one of the modular cables isn't plugged in correctly.

I also talked with someone that owns a computer shop and they said it very well could be the fan making the noise or fan bearings inside the power supply. If I decide to step up to a better power supply which product would you recommend? And the following features are a must have for me.

1.) Black Sleeved molexes with gold connectors

2.) Silent low noise levels

3.) 1000 Watts or higher

4.) If available Blue LEDS on the fan

Digital_Trans
08-26-07, 03:37 PM
Enermax Galaxy DXX 1kW.

I have a Koolance water cooling case. I noticed the main fan for the Enermax Galaxy DXX 1kW sets upright instead of down like traditional power supplies. Take a look at this picture of one installed on another computer.

url: http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/power/enermax/galaxy_1000ewl/page4.asp

See how it's setting? On my Koolance water cooling case I have 10mm tubing that sets above and over any power supply. Take a look at the picture and you can tell me if I should be concerned? Oh, and here's what my water cooling case looks like inside to help you.

Digital_Trans
08-26-07, 05:56 PM
Hell, I pulled the order trigger on this power supply off Newegg.com :D The Silver Stone ST1000 is already sucking just after a 2 months of use. I'll send it back to Silver Stone for an RMA and get a brand new one from them. Then I'll sell it for what I payed for it on ebay. lol
Zig zag ziggy zag!!! wham bam bomb! :D

$n][pErMan
08-26-07, 08:57 PM
I noticed that when my computer is running off my UPS my SilverStone PS makes a very loud buzzing noise. I thought maybe it was just bad power from the UPS but upon hooking another computer to it that other PC had no issues. I see no voltages drop or anything and its been working for about 6 months now. The noise is only noticable when running off UPS power. When this noise happens it does not sound very good... I could have sworn Silver Stones were one of the top of the line PS companies...

Slammin
08-27-07, 12:40 AM
My PPC 750 and two OCZ PS520's I had make my UPS's occasionally buzz too. At least that's where I think the noise comes from. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the circuit breaker which is only about 6' away from me. I've noticed no ill effects from it but it is annoying when it happens. My understanding is it is something to do with harmonics.

I've also read something about how some UPS's put out a square wave, where some others put out a sine wave. Supposedly the ones that put out a square wave are bad for PC's, and maybe this is what we have? I need to do some reading on the subject as well as these old UPS's I have.

$n][pErMan
08-28-07, 06:37 PM
My PPC 750 and two OCZ PS520's I had make my UPS's occasionally buzz too. At least that's where I think the noise comes from. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the circuit breaker which is only about 6' away from me. I've noticed no ill effects from it but it is annoying when it happens. My understanding is it is something to do with harmonics.

I've also read something about how some UPS's put out a square wave, where some others put out a sine wave. Supposedly the ones that put out a square wave are bad for PC's, and maybe this is what we have? I need to do some reading on the subject as well as these old UPS's I have.
Hmmm... well all UPS's on battey power put out some sort of square wave structure to emulate a sine wave because of the inverter, I guess it could be a matter of how drastic the stepping of the wave is? I need to aquire an oscilloscope from work and test this idea out.... Harmonics might also explain the buzzing sound.. its odd that it ONLY happens when running on battery power.

Xion X2
08-29-07, 07:05 AM
[pErMan']I noticed that when my computer is running off my UPS my SilverStone PS makes a very loud buzzing noise. I thought maybe it was just bad power from the UPS but upon hooking another computer to it that other PC had no issues. I see no voltages drop or anything and its been working for about 6 months now. The noise is only noticable when running off UPS power. When this noise happens it does not sound very good... I could have sworn Silver Stones were one of the top of the line PS companies...
It's buzzing because it's single-rail and you're putting a load on it. That's fairly normal. What you're hearing is electricity going through it.

Multi-rail PSUs are normally quieter because they're limited to 20A per rail, unlike single-rail PSUs.

$n][pErMan
08-29-07, 11:59 AM
It's buzzing because it's single-rail and you're putting a load on it. That's fairly normal. What you're hearing is electricity going through it.

Multi-rail PSUs are normally quieter because they're limited to 20A per rail, unlike single-rail PSUs.
Well this is the first single rail PS I have ever used... good to know that this is common. I suppose being able to pull 54A on the 12V rail is not a quiet thing :p

Digital_Trans
09-04-07, 09:51 PM
Okay, well I'm really pissed off now! I ordered that new ENERMAX|EGX1000EWL 1000 Watt power Supply off newegg.com only to connect everything and find it to be 100% defective and a big let down. I plugged everything in like normal and when I powered up I heard the PSU make a horrible sound. It was clear to me that the clear 135MM plastic fan was internally rubbing up against the circle framed space that it fits into. I setup an RMA for a full refund with newegg.com I also sent off my defective SilverStone ST1000 Watt PSU for RMA and will get a new one sent to me very soon. My main concern is this, I'm using a BFG 650 watt PSU to run a couple of things such as power to the motherboard. the Intel QX6800 2 SATA hard drives and the 8800 GTX KO edition graphics card and the Koolance watercoolig unit. I have to push my power on button on the computer case at least three times to even get the damn computer to bootup. Never the less it's powering up and I'm not overclocked on anything until I get my Silver Stone ST1000 Watt power supply back. I just hope the BFG 650 Watt PSU will hold me until my replacement gets shipped back to me. What do you guys think?

Joe Public
09-05-07, 09:25 AM
I don't know how much power the water cooling draws, but the rest of the rig isn't nearly as power hungry as to bring a 650W to its knees. Of course, there's the multiple vs. single rail PSU factor. These days, some manufacturers seem to shun the multirail system, and make them single rail (except on paper).

Digital_Trans
09-05-07, 09:37 AM
I don't know how much power the water cooling draws, but the rest of the rig isn't nearly as power hungry as to bring a 650W to its knees. Of course, there's the multiple vs. single rail PSU factor. These days, some manufacturers seem to shun the multirail system, and make them single rail (except on paper).

So in other words multirail is better or worst? I would assume single rail for each device is better. To be totally honest, I'm new on learning the power supply technology. I've done so much research on video cards and processors and power supplies we're always the least of my concern until now.