PDA

View Full Version : Several reasons to believe Bioshock has been "console-ised" (PC tweaks)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

3DBrad
08-20-07, 11:31 AM
This is all with using Vista in Dx10 mode (DX10 is in effect, as there are soft-particle effects I've seen).

Few things I have noticed,

(1) physics animations are apparently capped at 30fps, so even if you're going at 100fps, the objects bounce around at 30fps, I think that's why the demo defaulted to 30fps so many times until I changed the "desired frame rate" in the config file.

I took a video of it if you don't believe me. :p

(2) Also, the textures aren't really that hi-res, but this could be just due to the demo.

So just like Quake Wars, this is console-ized. :(

If you go to the default config file, I changed this from 25 to 55,
MinDesiredFrameRate=55.000000

Edit:
I went back and set the "Minimum desired framerate" to 1 on both, just to make sure it doesn't degrade anything.

Then I went and turned off real-time reflections and V-sync, and now it stays around 60+, through the first part of the demo.

|MaguS|
08-20-07, 11:34 AM
and it begins.... people can't ****ing enjoy a game... they have to find somethign to bitch about.

3DBrad
08-20-07, 11:38 AM
No, you're the one that's always whining about people whining.

Besides, if the game has no multiplayer, it better be top-notch.

CaptNKILL
08-20-07, 11:40 AM
I've never seen the mindesiredframerate setting do anything. Its been in every Unreal Engine game since the late 90s...

|MaguS|
08-20-07, 11:41 AM
It is top notch but some people just cant sit back and enjoy a game. They must always find something to complain about... ever try not nitpicking and actually playing the game?

robngamer
08-20-07, 11:45 AM
It is top notch but some people just cant sit back and enjoy a game. They must always find something to complain about... ever try not nitpicking and actually playing the game?

I agree.

stncttr908
08-20-07, 11:46 AM
If it wasn't for the console market I doubt we'd have a game at all, let alone one this innovative with a tired genre and with such great art direction, so I'll take it.

3DBrad
08-20-07, 11:47 AM
That's right, let's all just spend $60 and not give any feedback.

That's how you get games like Splinter Cell: Double Agent

stncttr908
08-20-07, 11:48 AM
Actually I'm spending $39.99, but thanks.

Mr. Hunt
08-20-07, 11:48 AM
That's right, let's all just spend $60 and not give any feedback.

That's how you get games like Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Yes because Bioshock is as horrible as SCDA, right?

svetli_pp
08-20-07, 11:51 AM
Obviously there are people that buy monstrous hardware not to enjoy games but to moniitor framerates. I pity them :thumbdwn:

Eliminator
08-20-07, 11:53 AM
I've never seen the mindesiredframerate setting do anything. Its been in every Unreal Engine game since the late 90s...
afaik it turns down some settings if the framerate is below the minimum... i noticed it in action while playing UT on intel extreme gfx 2:wimp:

jcrox
08-20-07, 12:02 PM
and it begins.... people can't ****ing enjoy a game... they have to find somethign to bitch about.

Like you should talk LMAO, here's a quote from you:

They talk about being completly desctructible but it looks so crappy with buildings... an entire wall breaks in a single section and it looks the same all the time. The Lucas Arts technology makes destructible items looks so much more realistic.

No comment how im whinning too much but it does look pretty cheesy...

And that's about a game that doesn't even have a demo yet.

|MaguS|
08-20-07, 12:13 PM
Like you should talk LMAO, here's a quote from you:

And that's about a game that doesn't even have a demo yet.

So my comment on how their hyping of a destructible enviroment that in the end is done poorly is the same as him complaining about a game that shares its roots to consoles?

He's nitpicking about something most players wont realize, I was pointing out something completly obvious to everyone...

3DBrad
08-20-07, 12:14 PM
Setting the minimum framerate DOES improve framerate greatly.

Several times that it was stuck at 30fps, it would be at 45-50fps after the tweak, etc.

agentkay
08-20-07, 12:16 PM
Criticism is allowed when you have such a low res texture in a 2007 game that has received some of the highest graphics ratings (9.5 or higher) so far this year. Yes I know graphics is not just about texture resolution but if people just shut up the visuals would never improve.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27355&d=1187620559

However, there is hope that modders will be able to fix some of the low res textures (after all UT3 engine is highly moddable) but I still donīt get why modders have to fix something that is the job of the devs.

toxikneedle
08-20-07, 12:16 PM
omg, fps!

Destroy
08-20-07, 12:17 PM
Do wide screen resolutions work properly?

Is the FOV low in the 70 range or better in the 90 range, at wide screen res of course??

|MaguS|
08-20-07, 12:18 PM
Criticism is allowed when you have such a low res texture in a 2007 game that has received some of the highest graphics ratings (9.5 or higher) so far this year. Yes I know graphics is not just about texture resolution but if people just shut up the visuals would never improve.

Um all the textures look good aslong as your not an inch away from them...

Mangler
08-20-07, 12:22 PM
Setting the minimum framerate DOES improve framerate greatly.

Several times that it was stuck at 30fps, it would be at 45-50fps after the tweak, etc.

If it does it the same way as it did in the original unreal engine, it also removes some of the details on your screen/uses lower quality assets to boost your framerate.

nekrosoft13
08-20-07, 12:25 PM

well, that the side effect of multiplatform games. hopefully the retail game will have better textures.

Athena
08-20-07, 12:28 PM
System Shock 2 was one ofthe best games I ever played and I played it again after the modders released the updated models. I am not to worried about a low res texture here and there in BioShock. After seeing the game play videos in 720p I am sure this game will look good enough for me to have fun playing it. ;)

agentkay
08-20-07, 12:29 PM
|MaguS|, yes the distance to that particular texture is very low but I still saw plenty of other games that had better texture resolution/detailed textures at even such a low distance. Sure, the game is complex, maybe they missed this one (texture), and I definitely need to play the retail version first but I still stand by that criticsm has to be allowed because thats what really brings the visuals forward... not just everybody getting used to a certain standard. If people didnīt ask for more, games would still look like DOOM1.

jAkUp
08-20-07, 12:32 PM
Few things I have noticed,

(1) physics animations are apparently capped at 30fps, so even if you're going at 100fps, the objects bounce around at 30fps, I think that's why the demo defaulted to 30fps so many times until I changed the "desired frame rate" in the config file.

I took a video of it if you don't believe me. :p

(2) Also, the textures aren't really that hi-res, but this could be just due to the demo.

So just like Quake Wars, this is console-ized. :(

If you go to the default config file, I changed this from 25 to 55,

Are you running DX10 mode? Supposdly the textures are improved in DX10.

agentkay
08-20-07, 12:33 PM
well, that the side effect of multiplatform games. hopefully the retail game will have better textures.

I agree, I think that is indeed one reason why we see something like that. I do have hope that some talented modders will release a high-res texture pack, if necessary (I didnīt play the retail version yet), after all the UT3 engine is highly moddable and the game itself is already very popular.