PDA

View Full Version : Cutting my losses and switching to ATI

Pages : [1] 2

damicatz
08-20-07, 04:31 PM
I have now owned a Geforce 8600GT for a total of three months. And not once during that period has the card worked as it should or as it was advertised. Like many users, I suffer from the infamous texture evict bug; a memory leak that causes a rapidly progressising slowdown of almost any modern game to the point where it becomes unplayable.

NVidia has now known about this bug for 4+ months. This is a bug that effectively renders the graphics card useless for any game that is even more than moderately demanding on the card.

Rather than actually fixing the bug, NVidia has decided to devote resources to things such as :

1.Fixing shadows in GRAW (A minor aesthetic issue that affects one game and does not affect it's playability).

2.Hacking the drivers to win benchmarks in various DX10 games (usually through shortcuts and other dubious optimizations)

3.Working on the Geforce 9 (They should get existing products working before even considering something new.).

During this time, NVidia has consistently stated that they are "working" on fixing the problem yet they continue to push the estimated date at which it will be fixed back. Now, another new driver release has come and the issue is still not fixed. NVidia should be devoting all their resources to fixing this issue, not tweaking their drivers to beat ATI in a worthless benchmark.

The fact that NVidia is more than happy to continue to sell a product with a known defect speaks volumes about their ethics as a company. The 8600GT will be the last NVidia card I buy. ATI cards may be slower but at least they work.

Vasot02
08-20-07, 04:36 PM
Ok go switch to ATI

Good luck with the Catalyst drivers
You are going to need it

Floruro
08-20-07, 04:37 PM
yeah good luck with ATI lol.
Rather get an 8800 or something

damicatz
08-20-07, 04:42 PM
yeah good luck with ATI lol.
Rather get an 8800 or something

Why? So I can enjoy the same eviction bug only with slightly higher framerates? If I bought a new NVidia card, it would be in the price range of the 320MB 8800, which also suffers from the bug. And I'm not particularly eager to give NVidia more money after being screwed by them with the 8600GT.

Floruro
08-20-07, 04:49 PM
Well i have never been happier with a gfx card than with my 8800gtx. I dont have any of the bugs you are talking about. I dont play Graw2 even though it was bundled with my gfx card and i know about that issue. Your 2 other points are pretty pointless, and the memory leak issue i have never experienced.

What is the texture evict bug about? Is it a bug that applies to all users or just some?

Go and try ATI if you want but their current series is pretty much a disaster imo.

damicatz
08-20-07, 04:53 PM
Well i have never been happier with a gfx card than with my 8800gtx. I dont have any of the bugs you are talking about. I dont play Graw2 even though it was bundled with my gfx card and i know about that issue. Your 2 other points are pretty pointless, and the memory leak issue i have never experienced since i dont have the 8600.

Go and try ATI if you want but their current series is pretty much a disaster imo.
Get an 8800 gts maybe?

The bug also affects the 8800GTS (usually the 320MB models). It does not, generally, affect the 8800GTX.

Floruro
08-20-07, 05:16 PM
Get a 640mb 8800gts maybe? I just switched from ATI to Nvidia and wont be going back in a long while it seems.

Have a look at rage3d forums and people dont seem exactly happy about the 2900 series at all.

nekrosoft13
08-20-07, 05:22 PM
:rofl

jmaker
08-20-07, 06:53 PM
The bug also affects the 8800GTS (usually the 320MB models). It does not, generally, affect the 8800GTX.

Nope, it does indeed affect the 8800GTX. Because I own that card, and I get very low frames in BF2.

Q
08-20-07, 07:45 PM
I'll be the first to admit that owning the 8800 hasn't been the BEST experience it could have been because of various bugs, but when everything is working the way it should it is the fastest card on the market with the best IQ. Period.

If you like the sound of jets taking off and cards that are hot enough to boil water, ATI is the way to go this round. They do have marginally better drivers at this point (in some aspects, it just depends which BS you want) and nearly the same performance on the high end.

Enjoy your thread while it lasts. The flames will peak and the thread will lock.

|MaguS|
08-20-07, 07:58 PM
No problems with the 8 Series on my end... have fun with ATI... I don't care and I dout nvidia does that your buying someone elses card... they will continue to sell well...

nekrosoft13
08-20-07, 08:09 PM
Nope, it does indeed affect the 8800GTX. Because I own that card, and I get very low frames in BF2.

what can i say, playing at 1680x1050 with all settings maxed, 8xAA, 16xAF and having FPS around 100-140fps. really does sound horrible.

beardstroke
08-20-07, 08:47 PM
the texture evict issue dates back to the very beginning of the 8800GTS: november 06. people have been reporting it since then. nvidia acknowledged it only about 6 months lader. and we are now closing in on a year where this bug has not been fixed, and nvidia still has been hush hush about it.

if you call this 'quality' shame on you. everyone no matter if you were affected the bug or not should remember this the next time you consider buying an NVIDIA branded card.

Slammin
08-20-07, 09:49 PM
Thing is, not everyone is affected by it.

Can't say I am, and when you get right down to it, sure, it may actually be there, but, bye.

Nice knowing ya, and that other fellow who had this problem.

Eviction.

Sounds like some kinda roon-n-board-issue to me.

Anyways, for the two or three peeps chronically complaining about this, you all just keep waiting on a fix. Do not even bother checking your own rigs. Heck, I haven't reinstalled XP in 10 years. Just Degrag!

Yeah, and good luck!

JasonPC
08-20-07, 10:10 PM
Wow I've never had any problems in BF2... There are some issues I have with the GeForce 8s, but mainly very minor things. Overall I have been extremely pleased.

damicatz
08-20-07, 11:45 PM
Perhaps you missed the giant sticky thread about the issue. The one with hundreds of replies.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91118

Can't say I am, and when you get right down to it, sure, it may actually be there, but, bye.

Eviction.

Anyways, for the two or three peeps chronically complaining about this, you all just keep waiting on a fix. Do not even bother checking your own rigs. Heck, I haven't reinstalled XP in 10 years. Just Degrag!

Yeah, and good luck!

Sazar
08-20-07, 11:52 PM

Eviction.

Yeah, and good luck!

You've had XP for 10 years?

AngelGraves13
08-21-07, 12:00 AM
It is unfortunate that the bug has not been fixed for you. I'm sure it will be in time, but patience is very difficult for some people. So with that said, I hope that ATi brings you better fortune, and have a good time gaming. That's all that counts...

Sazar
08-21-07, 12:12 AM
Didn't Nvidia say something about a September or November time-frame for the bug-fix?

911medic
08-21-07, 01:02 AM
I have now owned a Geforce 8600GT for a total of three months. And not once during that period has the card worked as it should or as it was advertised. Like many users, I suffer from the infamous texture evict bug; a memory leak that causes a rapidly progressising slowdown of almost any modern game to the point where it becomes unplayable.

NVidia has now known about this bug for 4+ months. This is a bug that effectively renders the graphics card useless for any game that is even more than moderately demanding on the card.

Rather than actually fixing the bug, NVidia has decided to devote resources to things such as :

1.Fixing shadows in GRAW (A minor aesthetic issue that affects one game and does not affect it's playability).

2.Hacking the drivers to win benchmarks in various DX10 games (usually through shortcuts and other dubious optimizations)

3.Working on the Geforce 9 (They should get existing products working before even considering something new.).

During this time, NVidia has consistently stated that they are "working" on fixing the problem yet they continue to push the estimated date at which it will be fixed back. Now, another new driver release has come and the issue is still not fixed. NVidia should be devoting all their resources to fixing this issue, not tweaking their drivers to beat ATI in a worthless benchmark.

The fact that NVidia is more than happy to continue to sell a product with a known defect speaks volumes about their ethics as a company. The 8600GT will be the last NVidia card I buy. ATI cards may be slower but at least they work.:udawg:

Shocking. :rolleyes2

nekrosoft13
08-21-07, 01:04 AM

You've had XP for 10 years?

dude that was sarcasm towards the original posted

Stevedroid
08-21-07, 01:07 AM
Unfortunately, ATI's drivers are no bed of roses either. If you visit an ATI forums you'll see threads exactly like this in the opposite. E.g. people bitching about ATI and saying they're switching the nVidia.

While I fell my 8800GTX was worth the purchase, I'll be the first to admit the 8000-series have more problems than they should have.

Problem is both companies kind of suck these days. Competition in general is good, but the video card market has gotten so vicious over the years that both companies are pushing out products too fast and the quality suffers as a result. Vista and undersized/overworked driver teams kind of screwed us too.

In any case, "threat" threads like this are kind of juvenile. You're pissed and you want to vent, it's only natural, but it's not really accomplishing anything. You're not changing anyone's mind and you're not sending a message to the company because there's so much pissing and moaning on the internet that it's impact is mostly diluted to nothing. Better to just switch if you're going to and get on with your life.

SH0DAN
08-21-07, 05:42 AM
Why don't you just give up gaming on a pc and use a console?

Sounds like solid advice for the OP.I have a 8600GT a 8800GTS 640 and a many other Nvidia cards here,and I have had ZERO problems with them.

I have a Radeon 64 and a Radeon 8500 built by ATI that gave me NOTHING but problems.

robngamer
08-21-07, 10:39 AM

Then its your system and not your card. I can say this because I to own an 8800GTX and both BF2 and 2142 run like a raped ape even after hours of endless gaming.

If you get low FPS in BF2 then something else is wrong with your setup.

Slammin
08-21-07, 10:40 AM
Perhaps you missed the giant sticky thread about the issue. The one with hundreds of replies.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91118

I don't need a sticky to tell me if my rig is working, so I won't bother reading that one because right now I'm quite happy with the way things are working for me.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand your frustration, but are you wanting me to join in your pain?