PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock demo not working for anyone else?

Pages : [1] 2

ewb
08-20-07, 04:04 PM
got the new nvidia drivers installed and rebooted, tried the demo and it locks up right after i choose a difficulty. sometimes the screen is totally black. sometimes a dark grey and i can barely make out the loading screen. and i can hear wind sounds, etc. but it doesnt load past that point. i have an evga 8800 640mb gts, and using vista 32 bit. anyone else? anyone have any hints i might be able to try to remedy this? thanks.

ewb
08-20-07, 05:12 PM
come on, anyone? can someone help me with how i might enable logging so i can look for errors? debug mode? something? anything? please???

thanks.

AthlonXP1800
08-20-07, 05:16 PM
Well just finished played the demo, what an amazing experience. :D

It would be better if you post your system spec, it will be helpful.

nekrosoft13
08-20-07, 05:17 PM
got the new nvidia drivers installed and rebooted, tried the demo and it locks up right after i choose a difficulty. sometimes the screen is totally black. sometimes a dark grey and i can barely make out the loading screen. and i can hear wind sounds, etc. but it doesnt load past that point. i have an evga 8800 640mb gts, and using vista 32 bit. anyone else? anyone have any hints i might be able to try to remedy this? thanks.

OC'ing anything?

is your PC prime stable?

ewb
08-20-07, 05:28 PM
the cpu is overclocked a bit, conservatively (its very stable). its a 6600 at 3.2ghz. the videocard is not overclocked at all. and i have 2gb of memory.

DMA
08-20-07, 05:37 PM
Does it work if you launch the game in DX9 in the Vista game browser?

The new beta drivers have been a bit weird for some people in DX10. Too bad since they're supposed to be the bio drivers. :)

I've played the demo several times, but I still use the 162.22 drivers. No problems with that set though.

ewb
08-20-07, 06:20 PM
Does it work if you launch the game in DX9 in the Vista game browser?

The new beta drivers have been a bit weird for some people in DX10. Too bad since they're supposed to be the bio drivers. :)

I've played the demo several times, but I still use the 162.22 drivers. No problems with that set though.

THANK YOU. it runs in dx9 mode. i suppose ill go back to older drivers and see if it works in dx10. i noticed even the plain text and logos when you start the game in dx9 looked like crap, very aliased. ok time to go back to older drivers.

Blackcat
08-20-07, 06:32 PM
I am getting audio stuttering for some reason. Tried many different drivers and still the same. Any suggestions?

Morrow
08-20-07, 06:35 PM
I am getting audio stuttering for some reason. Tried many different drivers and still the same. Any suggestions?

disable EAX, worked for me

ewb
08-20-07, 06:48 PM
ok i went back to 162.22 and dx10 is still locking up..

any other ideas?

nVidi0t
08-20-07, 07:05 PM
Mine won't even load. Nice.

AthlonXP1800
08-20-07, 07:10 PM
ok i went back to 162.22 and dx10 is still locking up..

any other ideas?

Hmmm it look like your overclocked CPU is the cause, downclock to default CPU clock speed and run DX10 to see if it stop locking up.

jcrox
08-20-07, 07:10 PM
When I installed, there was no icon sent to desktop and when I went into the 2k\bioshock\builds\release folder I initially clicked on the Bioshock icon and it ran but did weird stuff, when I used the Bioshock - MCE icon it ran fine. Doubt that helps but just in case....

Blackcat
08-20-07, 07:16 PM
disable EAX, worked for me

tried that, still stuttered..thanks for the reply. My audio drivers are up to date too so I know this is not a problem.

ewb
08-20-07, 07:18 PM
Hmmm it look like your overclocked CPU is the cause, downclock to default CPU clock speed and run DX10 to see if it stop locking up.
ive run the whole gamut of stability apps to find that my system is stable, AND it runs fine in dx9, but you come to the conclusion its my oced cpu thats the problem?
ill give it a go but im not expecting much.

Draver
08-20-07, 07:21 PM
For those having stuttering, make sure you have the latest Open AL (http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46) installed and that no older version remains once you have updated your drivers. I had problems until I checked in Program and Feature and found an old version of Open AL that was interfering with the new one.

Blackcat
08-20-07, 08:39 PM
For those having stuttering, make sure you have the latest Open AL (http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46) installed and that no older version remains once you have updated your drivers. I had problems until I checked in Program and Feature and found an old version of Open AL that was interfering with the new one.

Thanks for the tip, will check it out when I get home from work tomorrow.

nVidi0t
08-20-07, 09:02 PM
While loading a new game (pictures will rotate during loading) the game will crash to desktop with the error "Bioshock.exe has stopped working." I have tried setting my CPU frequency to default and trying different drivers. Anyone managed to get this running with Vista and a 7950gx2?

grey_1
08-20-07, 09:09 PM
From the "readme".
After installing updated drivers you should also reinstall the current version of DirectX. Select "My Computer" and then right click the drive holding the BioShock CD
This is for video card problems in XP, very vague about other OS.

Same for audio problems, + disabling 'reverb' in the audio settings menu.

There is also this.
3.6 Virtual Memory
------------------------------

BioShock requires virtual memory to run properly. If your virtual memory settings are not correct, you may experience stability problems.
Hope something here helps. Check the readme, maybe something else there too.

ewb
08-20-07, 09:31 PM
thats one of the first things i tried. i reinstalled the latest (august) directx redistributable. didnt help

JohnDio
08-20-07, 09:37 PM
Works fine here even with FSAA :D :D

qube
08-21-07, 02:00 AM
force global lightning turn it off and the screen want go black

jAkUp
08-21-07, 02:11 AM
While loading a new game (pictures will rotate during loading) the game will crash to desktop with the error "Bioshock.exe has stopped working." I have tried setting my CPU frequency to default and trying different drivers. Anyone managed to get this running with Vista and a 7950gx2?

Have you tried the 163.44?

beardstroke
08-21-07, 02:18 AM
level 1 through the underwater city works perfectly what a beautiful game

however come level 2, after its done loading it crashes to desktop with a memory error.

spaceigg
08-21-07, 08:09 AM
It works beautifuly for me, smooth like butter on hot pancakes! yum!
I have 20 inch monitor so the resolution I play is 1280 x 1024