PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody in their right mind still shop at Gamestop/EBGames?

Pages : [1] 2

Namrok
08-21-07, 10:40 AM
I saw a conversation on another forum to the effect of "You'd better get Bioshock fast! It's going to sell out!"

Naturally they were talking about EBGames.

I just can't wrap my mind around why people shop there. Half the time they never have the games I want, at any of the locations I go to. Plus they keep them behind the counter, so just to find out they don't have what I'm looking for, I have to wait 10 minutes behind the fat ****er in a sweat stained DBZ t-shirt to finish trading in a stack of PSP games as tall as I am just so he can get $10 off some marginally popular 360 game, after he's gone through a list of about 10 other games he wanted, but they didn't have (of course). Then, they give me **** about "Well you should have preordered, then you'd have it" as if I couldn't just walk across the street to Best Buy or Walmart and get one of their bajillion copies that are all on the shelf.

Hell, I've even given them the benefit of the doubt before. Well I used to at least. I used to think "Hey, they are a store that caters to gamers, they've got to have the niche titles!" but no. They rarely if ever have the Atlus titles I'm looking for. They didn't have Hotel Dusk. They barely have anything unless someone bought it at a store that actually carries games (like BestBuy/Walmart) and traded it in there.

And don't get me started on the trading in BS. I get more for my games on craigslist, and thats in cold, hard cash.

hemmy
08-21-07, 10:53 AM
Yes, Gamestop has always had the game I wanted, and even copies on 1st day of release.

Way more than walmart

Your store must be the exception.

MustangSVT
08-21-07, 10:54 AM
I used to like EB Games since they would always have the official latest price, so if there was a price drop on a game from say $40 to $20, they'd have it for $20 (or such).

However, I haven't shopped there in nearly 2 years now I think. They simply never have a new game. I remember going over there to get Forza Motorsport 2, or Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 or the 360 add-on. "You should've pre-ordered it". Ya, you guys are a bunch of retards. There's a Future Shop and a Best Buy in the same complex as EB Games, so it's like a 2 minute walk to Best Buy (or Future Shop). Both had the 360 add-on and Forza 2 and Guitar Hero 2 on the day it came out with dozens of copies in stock ON THE SHELF, not behind the counter crap. Since EB Games is too retarded to order enough copies to satisfy consumers, I always buy my games at Best Buy since no matter how popular the game is, they always have it in stock, always.

Oh and about niche games, EB Games did not have GTR2 for example when it came out. Wal-Mart and Future Shop did, so I just bought it from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart as well, if you go around the week the game launches, they should have the game in-stock, unlike EB Games where if you didn't pre-order, you get treated like you're an idiot.

|MaguS|
08-21-07, 10:56 AM
I buy used games from there very often... as for new games... PC I try to get through Direct Download if I have to I go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart but it doesn't matter since most games are priced the same everywhere locally.

RAY16
08-21-07, 11:08 AM
I haven't shopped at any game store since before Gamestop bought Funcoland.

S.I.N
08-21-07, 11:34 AM
I haven't paid retail price for a game in like 4 years. Buy all my games from Amazon or even outpost where many times there $5-$12 cheaper plus no tax. Only time I do retail is when Toys R' Us does that buy 2 get one free deal.

rudedog
08-21-07, 12:13 PM
LOL NOPE!

Ever since the Xbox360 release fiasco I refuse to purchase from them ever again.

"What do you mean if I paid in full my pre ordered Xbox360 and I don't pick it up the first day I'm called, It goes to the next person in line"?!!? Yah right...

Sorry I will go out of my way and spend the extra cash NOT to buy from EB.

MaUiLoCaL
08-21-07, 12:15 PM
I use to always shop at EB then I wised up. For the last 2 years or so I have used Amazon, NewEgg, and Walmart. Occasionally Best Buy if I have a coupon.:D

Fats_43
08-21-07, 12:28 PM
I'm Canadian and one of the biggest things I don't understand is that our dollar value is almost on par with the US dollar.
Ours is 95 cents of a US dollar, yet no matter what everything is always 10 dollars more in Canada or other items eg video cards, there is usually a 30% markup. Geee someone is getting rich.

What a joke, I'll just convert my $$ and cross the border buy US save a ton and come home.

yet our dollar is almost = lol. And the biggest joke is that even when a company was Canadian eg ATI before, things have always had that 30% markup or so. So it isn't shipping costs that's for sure. I believe the term is robbing.

Anyway I bought my copy of BioShock at Walmart this morning for $58 bucks so I assume that would be $48 bucks in the US. EB here wants 59.99 I assume.

Tygerwoody
08-21-07, 12:41 PM
EBgames/Gamestop use to be the place where I would buy all my games. Now they are absolute garbage. Its a company wide policy that is starting now that they are going to pretty much stop having PC games in stock all together, save for the VERY popular ones.

EBGames/Gamestop have went the way of the console fanboi. :thumbdwn:

I'm downloading from Steam or Direct2Drive if at all possible from now on.

Eliminator
08-21-07, 12:44 PM
I'm Canadian and one of the biggest things I don't understand is that our dollar value is almost on par with the US dollar.
Ours is 95 cents of a US dollar, yet no matter what everything is always 10 dollars more in Canada or other items eg video cards, there is usually a 30% markup. Geee someone is getting rich.

What a joke, I'll just convert my $$ and cross the border buy US save a ton and come home.

yet our dollar is almost = lol. And the biggest joke is that even when a company was Canadian eg ATI before, things have always had that 30% markup or so. So it isn't shipping costs that's for sure. I believe the term is robbing.

Anyway I bought my copy of BioShock at Walmart this morning for $58 bucks so I assume that would be $48 bucks in the US. EB here wants 59.99 I assume.
yup very true we always get ripped off... $58 was that with tax or not?... it was $45 for preorder at futureshop yesterday.... and to the OP i agree EB sucks big time... they always tell me to preorder because they wont have any but the funny thing is right beside EB theres a big Bestbuy which always has the games in stock

Fats_43
08-21-07, 12:55 PM
yup very true we always get ripped off... $58 was that with tax or not?... it was $45 for preorder at futureshop yesterday.... and to the OP i agree EB sucks big time... they always tell me to preorder because they wont have any but the funny thing is right beside EB theres a big Bestbuy which always has the games in stock

$58.83 before our goverment milks us too lol
comes to a total milking of $67.07 for the PC version.

The 360 version is 10 dollars more then the PC version.

nekrosoft13
08-21-07, 01:07 PM
**** that, i never shop there.

really can't stand those stores.

PTK1982
08-21-07, 01:08 PM
Here in Finland PC: 49,90€
X360: 64,90€
Welcome to promised land of milking:thumbdwn: (but here aren't gamestop/ebgames)

DRen72
08-21-07, 01:12 PM
The local Gamestop is not what is used to be, but they always have current PC game titles on the day of release. Best Buy might half the time and I don't shop at Circuit City much. Walmart may have current games a few days after release but rarely on time.

Eliminator
08-21-07, 01:14 PM
$58.83 before our goverment milks us too lol
comes to a total milking of $67.07 for the PC version.

The 360 version is 10 dollars more then the PC version.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10090106&catid=11124
$49.99 there... lol return it or something... does walmart price match?

Fats_43
08-21-07, 01:24 PM
crap, nah you can't return it now cause of the activation code. Oh well I burn I guess, nothin new.

FastRedPonyCar
08-21-07, 03:07 PM
I've been contemplating it.

I want to take in my original Xbox and PS2 with some of the games and see how much of a trade in value I can get towards one of those 360 elite systems.

marqmajere
08-21-07, 04:23 PM
I shop there for used games. I also have a couple of friends who work there so it's nice to go in and chat about games.

spaceigg
08-21-07, 04:37 PM
I use it for console games only. no pc games. I prefer to dowload the games.
then I might start using gamecrazy for my console needs they seem to have better prices

ynnek
08-21-07, 09:19 PM
i hate Gamestop, but they are too convenient to get games from.. They usually have most popular PC games the day they come out. Thats the only time I get games from them. Else its any other store that has the game.. or ordered online and shipped.

PaiN
08-21-07, 10:52 PM
I'm friends with the manager and most of the employees at one of the local Gamestops. I stop in frequently to have a coffee......tell them what's going on in the PC game world(they all have no clue) and to mention how much the store, thier PC game stock and the company suck.

i hate Gamestop, but they are too convenient to get games from.. They usually have most popular PC games the day they come out. Thats the only time I get games from them. Else its any other store that has the game.. or ordered online and shipped.
yep, that is the only reason I actually spend money at the store

bugmeplz
08-21-07, 11:13 PM
you guys ... buy... your games?
I am confused..

sillyeagle
08-21-07, 11:34 PM
Hmm, Gamestop here has a **** load of PC games, the biggest selection around of both new and old titles, unlike Best Buy which has only the new ones and doesn't even have all the current titles. If I want something like Dirt, GT Legends, WWII Fighters for FSX, or a title on the release date I need to go to Gamestop. I'm surprised how often BB doesn't have a popular title on release date. They didn't even get HL2 Ep 1 for a couple days after Gamestop.

sillyeagle
08-21-07, 11:35 PM
you guys ... buy... your games?
I am confused..

You are not saying you are worthless piece of sh*t pirate are you? lol I don't think that flies around here.