PDA

View Full Version : BioShock Activation - Important

Pages : [1] 2

Ninjaman09
08-21-07, 02:10 PM
As far as I know, nobody has mentioned anything about this here so I will mention it -

The online activation for BioShock is clearly not functioning properly. The online activation can and likely will reject your serial code, even if it was typed in exactly as it appears. If this happens, don't freak out - just keep submitting it. As long as you have entered it as it appears on the manual, eventually it will accept the key. However it can and likely will reject it at least once. Just keeping trying and it will activate.

After a 40 minute installation I'm quite ready to play this game now. :)

Tr1cK
08-21-07, 02:12 PM
:werd:

It may have been hesitant due to your ninja skills. :D

CaptNKILL
08-21-07, 02:16 PM
So, does this game require the CD to play?

And has anyone tried activating it on more than one PC in the same house?

I want to test it out on my brother's machine and compare the performance. His system is almost identical to what I had before (X2 4200+ @ 2.5Ghz, 2gigs PC-4000, 8800GTX) and I'm curious as to how CPU heavy this game is.

Fats_43
08-21-07, 02:39 PM
Never had any issues here what so ever. Enter code click next done, within 2 seconds.

DRen72
08-21-07, 02:40 PM
...After a 40 minute installation I'm quite ready to play this game now. :)Lame. What on Earth is this, an HD-DVD? :)

Ninjaman09
08-21-07, 02:41 PM
Lame. What on Earth is this, an HD-DVD? :)
It's a dual-layer DVD. ;)
Never had any issues here what so ever. Enter code click next done, within 2 seconds.
Lucky you. This thread is for the many people who will have their code erroneously rejected. The problem is widespread as you can see if you visit the 2K forums. My guess is it is network traffic related.

stncttr908
08-21-07, 03:01 PM
I'll probably pick this up tomorrow morning. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully any kinks will be ironed out by then!

SH64
08-21-07, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the tip :)

TheTaz
08-21-07, 07:34 PM
Does the retail box version force you to install Steam in any way, shape, or form?

I know (or I've read rather) that the activation is different than the Steam version... but that still doesn't tell me if it forces you to install steam for patches or whatever.

Thanks,

Taz

Q
08-21-07, 07:41 PM
So, does this game require the CD to play?

And has anyone tried activating it on more than one PC in the same house?

I want to test it out on my brother's machine and compare the performance. His system is almost identical to what I had before (X2 4200+ @ 2.5Ghz, 2gigs PC-4000, 8800GTX) and I'm curious as to how CPU heavy this game is.

This is my question as well. I want to know this before I purchase it from CC or Steam.

NaitoSan
08-21-07, 07:45 PM
no it doesn't force you to install steam. if you want to use steam, buy the game from steam. 2k confirmed that. they're aware a lot of people hate steam (i <3 them btw ;) )

Uberpwnage
08-21-07, 10:19 PM
I just picked it up from Wal-Mart. I began installing it on Vista x64, and during installation it told me I was misssing some .dll files, one of which was missing during the installation of the demo. WSOCK32.dll, which I located in both my system32 and sysWOW64 folders. For the demo I just kept clicking ok and eventually the error window closed, and I was able to play the demo just fine. But after doing the same for the full game, it tried to autopatch it and said invalid signature, and wouldnt let me continue. Anyone else experiencing these problems? I'm in the process of reinstalling now.

Edit - After reinstalling, none of the problems were there. However, I did have the activation issue, and trying repeatedly does get it to work, thx Ninjaman09 :)

NaitoSan
08-21-07, 10:49 PM
got it few hours ago, installed (took like less than 5 mins ;)) activiated it without no problem. :)

K-1
08-21-07, 11:30 PM
This is my question as well. I want to know this before I purchase it from CC or Steam.

You DO need the disc in order to launch the game. Apparently uses Securom :(.

methimpikehoses
08-22-07, 12:01 AM
No steam necessary...

I had to input the code a couple of times because it seems to be case sensitive, and I then using an O instead of a 0.

Then it did a weird online automatic patch which I didn't really expect. Hope that means there will be a patch soon to iron out some of the graphics glitches.

ahheadlock
08-22-07, 12:38 AM
What about if you bought it via steam? No CD exists then... How does the copy protection / activation work then?

vandalous
08-22-07, 12:40 AM
What about if you bought it via steam? No CD exists then... How does the copy protection / activation work then?

It's tied to your Steam account. If it works like other games bought via Steam, it will authenticate against your Steam account before launching.

Madpistol
08-22-07, 12:40 AM

It's already activated via steam. It does not apply to us.

ahheadlock
08-22-07, 01:54 AM
sweet :)

Jon
08-22-07, 05:41 AM
So does that still mean that if I buy a retail copy from a store, I can't play it unless I have an internet connection?

K-1
08-22-07, 05:59 AM
So does that still mean that if I buy a retail copy from a store, I can't play it unless I have an internet connection?

Correct, the first time you load the game up, it will ask for your CD-Key and then connects to an online server to verify your serial.

Mangler
08-22-07, 06:11 AM

That is correct, you cannot activate the copy without internet, and it seems like that you cannot activate the game more than two times, after that you need to activate it manually(I guess that means the same as it does in vista=calling in for a new code)

nutcrackr
08-22-07, 06:30 AM
I don't understand whats so hard about synchronizing retail cd keys with steam? Can anybody tell me why so few can be registered with steam?

kipper67
08-22-07, 06:58 AM
More activation woe/stories - seems you are only allowed to activate 2 times on different hardware before you have to start getting involved in justifying yourself to securom due to the copy protection system used.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5527

Q
08-22-07, 07:31 AM
You DO need the disc in order to launch the game. Apparently uses Securom :(.

Well, that made me consider the question "Save 10 bucks or play disc free". Thanks for the feedback!

But what the hell is this **** that its tied to hardware? What is this, OEM Windows? I change hardware so often, and have four different PC's in my house. I don't want to run it on all of them at the same time, but if the game really is as good as they say it is I would want to run it on multiple machines eventually. I would want to beat it first. Then I'd let my GF beat it on her rig. Then we'd load it on the laptop so we'd have doctor's office material. This isn't in violation of any classic EULA and is just like loaning out your copy of Madden 08 to a a couple friends.

Well, I guess this is just another Securom way of making the pirates into heroes again. GG, guys.

I still haven't bought the game yet, (damn Freshman move in), but I guess I'm going the Steam route after all. (I really wanted the box art for this game. It's SO COOL). ;)