PDA

View Full Version : Any trick when installing new drivers?

Dulak
08-21-07, 04:23 PM
I'm still sort of new to the NVDA camp. My 8800gts is my first card and I got the card when it first came out and installed the newest drivers and have been using them since.

So I want to check out the bioshock demo and install the new drivers. Do I need to remove the old drivers and do some clean sweep? or whats the best way to install new drivers?

ie with ATI the best way was to uninstall the drivers and then use the catalyst removal program to clean sweep any hint of drivers present. Then install new drivers.

How about NVDA?

Crippler
08-21-07, 10:03 PM
Like to know this too.

Reading Nvidia's PDF for the offical drivers it only says that if you have ntune it is recommended to uninstall, then install new drivers, then ntune. Nothing about driver upgrades (may have missed it)

andy_nv
08-21-07, 10:17 PM
It's always good to uninstall old drivers and do a cleanup with Driver Cleaner or XDC, you never know when you might get mixed drivers problems. At least that's my take on it.

The only hassle for me is finding a good free program to save my desktop icons position, all other settings I can rebuild easily. For ATI cards it's simple, there's ATI Tray Tools for that, with nvidia I haven't found a good tool yet.

robngamer
08-21-07, 10:23 PM
Guys here is the method that I have always used religiously and it has always worked absolutely perfect.

I never have even a fraction of the problems that some other people have when installing new drivers.

#1 uninstall old driver first from the add/remove programs.
#2 Navigate to (my computer) then C drive and delete the Nvidia folder.
#3 Reboot into safe mode and then run Driver cleaner pro, then run Eusing free registry cleaner, then run Ccleaner.
#4 Reboot back into windows and install your new drivers!

Here are the tools.

http://www.filepedia.com/desktop_software/other_tools/driver_cleaner_pro.cfm

http://www.download.com/Eusing-Free-Registry-Cleaner/3000-2094_4-10658410.html?tag=lst-0-1

http://ccleaner.com/download/downloading

Mr Bigman
08-22-07, 01:37 AM
Not all true.

I do the driver Cleaner thingy use CCleaner and checked the registry and still when doing Driver Cleaner, i get 2 registry entried in driver cleaner. Something about 2 legecy entries but cant get what the whole entry is cuz its cut off in the driver cleaner details box.

That might be why i cant run CPL with the new drivers, but like i said 1 thousand times i did get cpl to work off a fresh OS install on a spare drive.

[EOCF] Tim
08-22-07, 04:18 AM
Just uninstall in safemode and nothing will be left behind.

robngamer
08-22-07, 10:26 AM
Not all true.

I do the driver Cleaner thingy use CCleaner and checked the registry and still when doing Driver Cleaner, i get 2 registry entried in driver cleaner. Something about 2 legecy entries but cant get what the whole entry is cuz its cut off in the driver cleaner details box.

That might be why i cant run CPL with the new drivers, but like i said 1 thousand times i did get cpl to work off a fresh OS install on a spare drive.

Whatever man. Just telling what works for me. I have never had a problem with the CPL. Ever.

Tr1cK
08-22-07, 10:28 AM
I typically spin my chair 3 times and close one eye while installing. You can call me superstitious, the writing's on the wall.