PDA

View Full Version : The eternal 8800GTX crash problem update

Acrobat
08-21-07, 04:23 PM
Well 9 months on..... and I am still getting regular crashes with my 8800GTX.

I am getting ANOTHER rma next week. I am just waiting for the place I bought from to get more stock of the cards again, and then I will try my luck with a second replacement.

Anyway, I thought I would mention, that yesterday I downloaded the "Bioshock" demo. The crash I have been experiencing all this time, is STRONG in the Bioshock demo. The demo starts and the character surfaces from some water to see fire everywhere. Within 10 seconds, my entire computer locks up and I need to use the power switch. Its the exact same crash as all the other games, but with Bioshock, its extremely predictable, and a great way of being able to re-produce the crash. Company of Heroes for example, sometimes crashes within 30 seconds, but sometimes can be played for half an hour before it crashes. This Bioshock demo though.. it has crashed 5 out of the 5 times I have played it, and always within the first 10 seconds after the demo started.

Just thought I would mention that incase its of use to anyone. Obviously, if Nvidia actually took feedback from its customers, they would be able to see this and perhaps make use of it. But they don't. So I post it anyway, although I am assuming its pretty pointless.

Monolyth
08-21-07, 04:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles, give us some system specs and we can maybe help out more. Otherwise we will not be able to give any guesses (educated or otherwise) about your problem...

Thanks.

Acrobat
08-21-07, 05:36 PM
NOTE: Sorry for my miserable sounding post above! I got this forum confused with another forum. This forum has always been really helpful to me and friendly. The other forum I usually get attacked, which is why I was on the defensive.

Anyway, seeing as I'm here, I will post my info incase it helps anyone.

PC Specs:

Windows XP: Service Pack 2 - all latest drivers/directx/windows updates/firmware/etc
C2D E6600 (stock speeds and voltage)
2 Gig of DDR2 Corsair RAM.
320 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Geforce 8800GTX
SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
IDE DVD Drive
Gigabyte DS4 (revision 2) - 965p version.
Corsair HX 620W psu.

Everything is at stock speed. Everything is brand new. Everything is temperature monitored and runs at nice low temps. Everything works perfectly except in games. The crash is always identical. It locks up the entire PC and the PC has to be powered down with the power switch. All games have crashed atleast once, but its usually uncommon. But a few games crash regularly. Company of Heroes is a good example. It sometimes crashes after 40 minutes. It sometimes crashes after 20 seconds. But either way, it is so consistent that it really makes the game unplayable for me.

The best example of all, is this new Bioshock demo. It crashes consistently, and its always within the first 15 seconds of starting the game. I've tried it about 6 times, and every time it crashes.

I've started my own thread about this, and also joined in on other threads. The only thing that seems likely to me, is when people suggest a "driver issue". They are basically telling me to be patient and wait for Nvidia to release a driver that works. Unfortunately, I've been waiting almost 9 months and that still hasn't arrived yet. Somebody suggested I just RMA the card, but I did that once and its still the same. I've been talking to one person via PM, who had the exact same problem. He just bought a new card and it works perfectly. But he had to sell his existing card on Ebay and he made a significant loss.

I will be getting my third card in a week or two, and it will be from a new batch this time. So I am assuming and praying that it will work. If its almost certainly pointing towards it being a driver issue, rather than a hardware issue.

Oh, and lastly, I have tried every driver available. Old ones, new ones, beta ones, even ones from Guru3d etc. None of them worked, although the most recent driver postponed the crash in one game, but then the crash just occured a bit later than usual.

Oh, and rather than me explaining what the crash looks like, its best if I just show a movie. This is a movie somebody posted on YouTube. They have windows Vista, and I have windows XP, but their crash looks identical to mine. Mine only occurs in games (and sometimes the main menu of games..), and I am not sure what the person in the movie was doing when it crashed. But the actual crash itself looks exactly the same, so it saves me trying to explain the strange colours and strange patterns. Heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNRLdGk8Mo

p.s. Also, I have tried playing games in safe mode etc.. Tried uninstalling everything and having a fresh install of windows. Tried uninstalling the drivers and using a driver cleaner to get rid of all trace of them - then re-installing a driver. Nothing worked.

jdspinna
08-22-07, 06:58 AM
Same problem here! Happens with windows media stuff usually. Now Bioshock is crushing the card and I get it everytime I play the game.

Slammin
08-22-07, 09:37 AM
Sounds like PSU or heat.

svetli_pp
08-22-07, 09:42 AM
Well actually my vista64 showed blue screens and restarted every time I exit the Bioshock demo. Yesterday I've installed 163.44 beta and tried it and it was just fine. I haven't had time to test it more than once but today I will do it and see if its fixed. Dirt also crashed my system but only once and again on exit. I don't intend to exchange my vid card for the moment - want to see how it works in a long run, because I just have it for a week.

Acrobat
08-23-07, 11:40 PM
Sounds like PSU or heat.
I can absolutely garauntee that its neither of those. But they are very good suggestions, because it definitely looks like it could be because of those.

Not sure if I mentioned in my earlier posts, but I bought this card in December last year, so I've actually owned it for about 9 months now, and games have been crashing since day one. So I have actually tried a LOT of things to get this fixed. Tried replacing lots of different hardware, tried reinstalling windows, tried every single Nvidia driver available (old, new, beta, none beta, etc.). I've even tried doing extreme things like running the PC in a refrigerated environment which brought all the temperatures of every component down extremely low. Tried running things in safe mode. Tried various different monitors CRT and LCD etc. Tried pretty much everything I, or anybody on the internet has been able to think of.

I even tried RMA'ing the card, and the replacement card I got is the same. Although, my original was bought in December, and I did the first RMA in February, so its possible both cards are from the exact same batch. I am doing an RMA again now, and they are getting new stock in about 1-2 weeks. So I will definitely be getting one from a new batch then. I think that will go a long way to proving if its a hardware issue or not.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but on the other nVidia forum, most people seem to believe it is the fault of the driver. Some people even say they have had the exact same problem, but it has gone away with whatever driver or an upgrade to vista etc. Unfortunately, like I said, I've tried all the drivers and none have helped. (Some make it slightly improved but the games still crash eventually).

One guy on the nVidia forum started PM'ing me recently because he had the same issue. In the end he got so annoyed, he bought another card. He couldn't RMA his original card (I don't know why), so he had to sell it on Ebay at a much reduced cost - so he lost a bunch of money. But the good news is that his new card worked. So that is what convinced me to try RMA'ing my card again.

p.s. I have this page bookmarked so I'll come back here when I get the replacement and say if it helped or not.

P.p.s. Also, there are actually quite a lot of people having this same problem by the way - and many of them have tried lots of things too. Some of them have even tried buying expensive 1000W power supplies and water cooling kits etc.. There are atleast a dozen threads about it at the other nVidia forum. Although, nobody has a solution to it yet. The only thing I have left to try, is upgrading to Vista to see if I have any more luck with the Vista drivers. But the only copy of Vista I own is Vista 64bit, and I read that you should really use 4gig of ram with that. So I need to order another 2gig and then I'll bite the bullet and give Vista a try.

p.p.p.s: Also, nVidia are evidently being sued over this (or a similar issue). I only found out about that recently but I thought it was quite interesting. I won't post the link though, because they banned me on the other forum for doing that.

Slammin
08-24-07, 12:11 AM
You made me sleepy.

p.s. really sleepy...

p.p.p.s. really, really, sleepy.

And sorry, I've not read your LONG replys.

Sorry.

YTDamnit
08-24-07, 07:03 PM
What is your RAM voltage? Double check the Corsair required level versus your setting.

As an example I have the OCZ SLi 1066 modules. The SPD sets the voltage to 1.85...which is too low and caused me no end of grief. My RAM (no doubt because of the speed) requires 2.1 volts.

-YT

Acrobat
08-24-07, 11:10 PM
You made me sleepy.

Hey **** you kid, just the first sentence ONLY was for you - and notice how I went out of my way to step on egg shells for you, because I could tell you would be a little tard based on your dumb knee jerk suggestion which I actually already covered in my first post - which you would know if you where capable of reading more than 1 word per hour. Go back to school.

Like I said, I'm not expecting a solution so I typed that purely to make a thread that might be useful to other people on the internet. Perhaps I shouldn't bother? **** other people eh?

What is your RAM voltage? Double check the Corsair required level versus your setting.

As an example I have the OCZ SLi 1066 modules. The SPD sets the voltage to 1.85...which is too low and caused me no end of grief. My RAM (no doubt because of the speed) requires 2.1 volts.

-YT
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure to be honest. I've checked CPU-Z, Everest, and PC Wizard, and none of them tell me. My CPU voltage is mentioned in a dozen places.. but not the memory.

I remember dealing with this once before though, on the Corsair forum. And they helped me. Although I am still not 100% sure that its all set up properly, so you might be on to something. I am using a Gigabyte DS4 965p. I am just meant to find out what voltage it supplies and then it just gives you a setting to add and subtract (+0.0010, +0.0025, +0.0050 etc..)

I'll look into it tomorrow anyway. If you know any way of me easily checking what voltate my RAM is running at though, please let me know!

p.s. The ram is Corsair 6400 C4. Also, I think I can find the voltage in the bios, but I need to sleep now. I'll check tomorrow though when I wake up. Thanks again.

BCKator
08-25-07, 12:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. This has been going on since day one and that was 9 months ago? Dang!

The fact that the 2nd card behaves the same way would lead me to believe that this is not a card problem. While "batches" of chips may have similar characteristics, I find it hard to believe that you ended up w/ two cards that fail the same way (do they?).

Have your tried your card on another MB? Do you know/can you find someone w/ the same card that would be willing to do a temporary swap and test? Or, try a 3rd card. The odds of three bad cards is extremely low.

Good Luck

Acrobat
08-25-07, 12:33 AM
I find it hard to believe that you ended up w/ two cards that fail the same way (do they?). Yep. Most people I have spoken to on the internet though, are pretty convinced that its a driver issue and not the actual card(s).

The only thing that got my thinking its the card, is that I was talking to somebody over PM's on another forum. They had the exact same problem (as do many people by the way), and they got really annoyed at waiting so long, and bought another card, and it worked. So I was assuming it was the driver, but that has got me thinking it could be the card.

Have your tried your card on another MB? Do you know/can you find someone w/ the same card that would be willing to do a temporary swap and test? Or, try a 3rd card. The odds of three bad cards is extremely low.

Good LuckI wish I could :( Another thing that would help, would be if I could use just any other card - just to make sure that its not another component. But unfortuntely, my friends all still have AGP based systems.

But the place I bought from have agreed to give me another RMA anyway, so I will get the third card this week. If THAT one still has the same problem.. then it will be 99.9999% positive that its not the actual hardware :) The first card I bought in December and the first replacement was in February so its possible they where from the same batch. This third one will definitely be a new batch. So I'll know for sure in about a week anyway :)

Thanks for your support by the way, its appreciated.

Slammin
08-25-07, 10:52 AM
Why so hostile? Perhaps that's why you get banned on other forums?

Anywho, I suggested PSU because I've seen on other forums (where incidentally, I'm not banned ;) ) where your particular PSU has been problematic with certain configurations.

No need for a long drawn out, lie on my couch and tell me all about it response. My attention span is way too short for that!

Good luck!

Acrobat
08-25-07, 07:03 PM
edit: Nevermind. Still trying to find out my memory voltage.

Acrobat
08-25-07, 09:05 PM
ok I checked the RAM voltage and it was at 2.1 which seems to be correct for this RAM (Corsair 6400 C4). I also tried running it at higher and lower voltages and that didn't seem to make any difference.

I had tried this once before, but I tried again just to be sure.

So still no further on :/ Thanks though.

magitek
08-27-07, 04:04 PM
I had this problem back when I was using a Radeon 1900xtx. Make sure your mobo is working properly, because my problem stemmed from the PCIe slots being messed up. If your mobo has an extra PCIe slot, try moving the card to the other slot.

csnake
08-28-07, 12:00 AM
I had plenty of issues (BSOD or Freezing all random) with my 8800 ultra. Tried plenty of different solutions as suggested by people.

In the end, my problem was my RAM did not like to be run in dual channel mode. Memtest passed during a 24 hr test, so the RAM and motherboard RAM slots were OK. For what ever reason, my motherboard + ram + video card does not like running in dual channel mode.

I forced my RAM to run in single channel mode and everything is all good. Had no issues for about a month and a half.

Acrobat
08-28-07, 02:21 AM
I had this problem back when I was using a Radeon 1900xtx. Make sure your mobo is working properly, because my problem stemmed from the PCIe slots being messed up. If your mobo has an extra PCIe slot, try moving the card to the other slot.
Single PCIE slot unfortunately :( Wish there was some way to test the motherboard but I dont think there is. Although I'll be getting the replacement graphics card soon, so hopefully that will tell me for sure if its the card or not.

I had plenty of issues (BSOD or Freezing all random) with my 8800 ultra. Tried plenty of different solutions as suggested by people.

In the end, my problem was my RAM did not like to be run in dual channel mode. Memtest passed during a 24 hr test, so the RAM and motherboard RAM slots were OK. For what ever reason, my motherboard + ram + video card does not like running in dual channel mode.

I forced my RAM to run in single channel mode and everything is all good.
Wow that sounds interesting. I am not sure I can do that on my motherboard, but I will look into it. Thank you.

Acrobat
08-28-07, 03:46 AM
I couldnt seem to get the motherboard to go into single channel mode, so I just removed one chip and that finally worked as single channel.

I tested the game that crashes most often (Bioshock demo), and it got further than it ever had before, but did the same crash just a minute later.

So it defintely had some kind effect, but didn't solve the problem :(

magitek
08-28-07, 07:09 PM
I couldnt seem to get the motherboard to go into single channel mode, so I just removed one chip and that finally worked as single channel.

I tested the game that crashes most often (Bioshock demo), and it got further than it ever had before, but did the same crash just a minute later.

You *should* be able to force single-channel mode by making sure your two ram modules are in differently-colored slots. If you've only got two slots, then you've already done all you can.

csnake
08-28-07, 09:16 PM

Have you tried removing your X-Fi soundcard. People have reported issues running 8800 and X-fi together. Also check your 12v rails on the PSU, using a digital multimeter. If you get big fluctuations, this could also cause issues.

Acrobat
08-29-07, 12:49 PM
MY GOD ITS ALL OVER! :)

I can't believe its taken me 9 months!!!!

I got the replacement card today, and I've tested it thoroughly, and I've had no crashes at all :) This is the 3rd card (second time I've done an RMA to get a replacement) so I wasn't sure what would happen. But it seems the problem was a hardware fault. There are evidently lots of faulty 8800's out there... and I don't think people even realise.

The usual response from people is that its a PSU issue, a temperature issue, a lack of steady 12v rails etc, or something similar. And if when people realise that didn't help, everyone seemed convinced it was a driver issue. Thats what I thought it was anyway... But somebody sent me a message on another forum, and they explained how got a replacement card and it worked. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and replaced my one for a second time, and it worked!

So anyway... if anybody out there is reading this and you have the same problem... just send the card back. You are entitled to a replacement because you have a warrenty. So hopefully you read this within your warrenty, and get a replacement. And if the replacement still crashes... get another replacement. It took two goes for me to get one that worked.

NOTE: This is only for people who have this exact problem though. If you are getting crashes for some other reason, then I can't help you.

p.s. Thanks to everyone who offered help. I really appreciate it. Hopefully this thread will help someone else out there.