PDA

View Full Version : games very slow for me in vista

mrguylh
08-22-07, 03:27 AM
So far all games I've benchmarked in Vista are running 30 to 40 percent slower than in XP on the same system. However 3dmark06 benches almost the same. Games I've tried so far are Fear, COD2, Doom3 and Far Cry. My system is as follows: 7950GT 512mb, Athlon 64 3700 and 1 GB pc3200 ram.
My main question is if it's a hardware problem or are the Vista drivers for the 7950gt poor for these games? I've tried several different drivers. I know part of the problem is only having 1gb of ram, but can it make a difference of 30 to 40 percent? I'm wanting to upgrade to an e6750 and 2gb of ram, but not if my 7950gt is still going to be much slower in Vista compared to XP. Can anyone tell me if it's mostly a 7950/driver problem or cpu/ram problem?
Thanks.

Nick7
08-22-07, 03:58 AM
Same issue.
Although I'm basically playing only World of Warcraft.

Performance in Vista is 30+% lower than on XP.
I've tried ALL available drivers (well, install each time new once it's out hoping it improves performance, but to no avail) - it's still crap compared to XP.

My sysinfo is in sig

mrguylh
08-22-07, 07:14 PM
Looks like upgrading cpu/ram may not be the answer then. So is anyone getting comparable results to XP in Vista and gaming with a 7 series card?

nekrosoft13
08-22-07, 08:34 PM
So far all games I've benchmarked in Vista are running 30 to 40 percent slower than in XP on the same system. However 3dmark06 benches almost the same. Games I've tried so far are Fear, COD2, Doom3 and Far Cry. My system is as follows: 7950GT 512mb, Athlon 64 3700 and 1 GB pc3200 ram.
My main question is if it's a hardware problem or are the Vista drivers for the 7950gt poor for these games? I've tried several different drivers. I know part of the problem is only having 1gb of ram, but can it make a difference of 30 to 40 percent? I'm wanting to upgrade to an e6750 and 2gb of ram, but not if my 7950gt is still going to be much slower in Vista compared to XP. Can anyone tell me if it's mostly a 7950/driver problem or cpu/ram problem?
Thanks.

that your problem right there

vista does require more horse power to run, if you get dual core and 2gb of ram, performance will be the same as in XP

Nick7
08-23-07, 04:20 AM
that your problem right there

vista does require more horse power to run, if you get dual core and 2gb of ram, performance will be the same as in XP
I have C2D and 2GB of RAM.
And performance in World of Warcraft is approx 30% lower than in XP.
Tried it all, all GF drivers, tried those 'performance patches', different settings ingame, etc... to no avail. It is just plain slower in Vista.

If anyone has any suggestion how to improve performance, please tell!

XxDeadlyxX
08-23-07, 05:07 AM
Not too bad here now.... about 5% lower overall which is what it should be.

RAM has a lot to do with it though... 1GB is barely enough for gaming on XP let alone Vista... my recommendation is 2GB is minimum for high end gaming on Vista with 2.5+ GB recommended.

conroejoe
08-23-07, 10:14 AM
I've benched both, I found the difference to be 5-8% slower in Vista. However I've got a E6420 @ 3.7 Ghz with 4GB ram.

Nick7
08-23-07, 10:52 AM
Benchmarked with...?

mrguylh
08-23-07, 12:43 PM
Hey Conroejoe,
What kind of gfx card do you have? I know some people are getting decent results with the 8 series cards, but I'm wondering about the 7 series.

SwedX
08-23-07, 02:25 PM
1 GB ram oh man come on where have you been..as Xdeadly said 1Gb is to little even in XP..2 GB is a must these days!

mrguylh
08-23-07, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I know I need to upgrade my ram. Iv'e been holding off on that until I upgrade my cpu and mb. I'm just trying to find out if I'm going to have to upgrade my gfx card too. I see Nick isn't having much luck with his 2gb of ram, c2d and 7800gt, so it makes me wonder about the 7 series cards and drivers.

Nick7
08-24-07, 03:12 AM
Seems like 7xxx drivers are made to 'just work', and that's it.. want performance? Upgrade to 8xxx.
Reminds me somehow of Creative and Alchemy ...

LabShark
08-27-07, 09:35 AM
Depends on the game for me. Some things aren't much different, 3dMark 2006 is about 10% slower, NASCAR 2003 is alot slower.

And then - DX 10 is slower still than DX 9...........in Lost Planet.

nekrosoft13
09-05-07, 08:04 AM
Seems like 7xxx drivers are made to 'just work', and that's it.. want performance? Upgrade to 8xxx.
Reminds me somehow of Creative and Alchemy ...

and what is that supposed to mean?

you want nvidia to magically bring 7 series to the same speed then 8 series. of course the 8 series is faster.

And should be happy that creative is the only company that found a way to restore EAX, hardware acceleration in vista.

Eliminator
09-05-07, 11:18 AM
Depends on the game for me. Some things aren't much different, 3dMark 2006 is about 10% slower, NASCAR 2003 is alot slower.

And then - DX 10 is slower still than DX 9...........in Lost Planet.
well the snow level was actually faster in dx10 for me but not the caves level

conroejoe
09-05-07, 11:33 AM
Hey Conroejoe,
What kind of gfx card do you have? I know some people are getting decent results with the 8 series cards, but I'm wondering about the 7 series.

GTS @ 648/1000

LabShark
09-05-07, 12:57 PM
well the snow level was actually faster in dx10 for me but not the caves level

Actually the slowness is due to the fact that DX 10 SLI is not working in LP.....despite the Hotfixes.

Eliminator
09-05-07, 01:32 PM
Actually the slowness is due to the fact that DX 10 SLI is not working in LP.....despite the Hotfixes.
im not using SLI though

Nick7
09-07-07, 12:24 PM
and what is that supposed to mean?

you want nvidia to magically bring 7 series to the same speed then 8 series. of course the 8 series is faster.
No, I just want drivers *not* to be 30% slower in Vista with some games compared to WinXP (World of Warcraft as an example).
And should be happy that creative is the only company that found a way to restore EAX, hardware acceleration in vista.
Yes, Alchemy is *free* for X-Fi cards.
Than people ashed for Audigy 1/2/4 cards, and official response was it was too complicated, and it would require complete rewrite.
Than they announced Alchemy for Audigy cards - for 10US$.
Oddly enough, one person 'cracked' X-Fi version - and guess what? It works superb on Audigy cards.
Point is, Creative *lied* about need for complete rewrite, and is basically asking Audigy 1/2/4 owners to pay for same software X-Fi owners get for free.
Keep in mind that Audigy 2/4 cards are still available in stores.

It is same with 7xxx cards - you can buy them, yet they get shafted as performance in drivers goes.
I do not expect my 7xxx card to be faster than 8xxx, but I do want it to have close to similar performance in Vista as it does in XP.