PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock review scores - smell of corruption ???

svetli_pp
08-22-07, 04:43 AM
Just want to share some thoughts guys. I've played the demo of Bioshock several times now and I really cannot see the reason for all those glorious reviews on different review sites. I wonder what would be the return in sales increase compared to some "small" gifts to review sites intended to "slightly" bias their perceptions and consequantly their scores. I can't see otherwise how a game like Overlord receives 6.6 on ign while Bioshock gets 9.7 . Stalker gets 8.2 :headexplode: which deserves far better score imho. or just my taste is so wrenched that I like games that nobody else does.

jAkUp
08-22-07, 04:57 AM
Just want to share some thoughts guys. I've played the demo of Bioshock several times now and I really cannot see the reason for all those glorious reviews on different review sites. I wonder what would be the return in sales increase compared to some "small" gifts to review sites intended to "slightly" bias their perceptions and consequantly their scores. I can't see otherwise how a game like Overlord receives 6.6 on ign while Bioshock gets 9.7 . Stalker gets 8.2 :headexplode: which deserves far better score imho. or just my taste is so wrenched that I like games that nobody else does.

That is your opinion.

For me, I thought Stalker was way overrated, and think BioShock was the best game I have played in years.

Either way, I don't think you can come to a conclusion on the final game based off a demo.

OldOfEvil
08-22-07, 04:58 AM
That is your opinion.

For me, I thought Stalker was way overrated, and think BioShock was the best game I have played in years.

Either way, I don't think you can come to a conclusion on the final game based off a demo.

Well said. QFT.

Revs
08-22-07, 05:03 AM
U have played the demo, which only has two of the (70?) plasmids and about 20-30 mins of game-play, alot of which is cinematics. I don't think is fair to judge the game based on this.

A few people have said the game really picks up after the first couple of hours and becomes very good indeed.

I'm looking forward to playing the full version and giving this game a propper chance. Hopefully it'll deliver! :cool:

I'm hoping a patch will come out at some point too to enable AA in DX10. That would be very nice :p

Revs
08-22-07, 05:04 AM
Well said. QFT.

+1

Mangler
08-22-07, 05:11 AM

Remember one thing though, glowing reviews does not always result in great salesnumbers, especially not when it comes to fps/rpg hybrids(yeah, I consider bioshock to be in this category, even though it's a light,light mainstreamed version of a fps/rpg hybrid).

I hope that bioshock is a huge hit, as it might just revive this genre.

svetli_pp
08-22-07, 05:37 AM
I will be glad if you are right, I'll play the full game and will post impressions afterwards. Just I'm little disappointed because all these reviews skyrocketed my expectations, not saying that the game is entirely crap. It's on the consolish side regretfully.

CaptNKILL
08-22-07, 07:41 AM
I think thats the general feeling. The demo most likely does not show the best parts of the game.

Honestly, I was pretty underwhelmed by the entire intro sequence(from the movie to the point where the plane breaks through the glass walkway). It didn't look THAT or good or seem THAT realistic or immersive.

It was cool and it had a good feel to it, but after reading the reviews, they made it sound like the intro alone was better than the best part of any game to date.

I think they could have made it much much better and it would have livened up the first portion of the game a great deal. A flashier\more realistic look for the trip into Rapture would have been nice. It seemed really dull for some reason.

Still, I've barely scratched the surface of this game. I just passed the point where the demo ended.

I have high hopes for the rest of it. :)

ArrowMk84
08-22-07, 09:40 AM
I haven't been this immersed in a game since the original Deus Ex. I'm a couple of hours in (just finished the first "boss fight"), and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I also get the feeling this how id wanted DOOM3 to be, but couldn't pull it off.

Namrok
08-22-07, 09:47 AM
*Shrug* I'm playing through the full game right now. Already the game has cemented itself as being amazing, but not sure if its up to the hype. I saved and quit right before the first Big Daddy fight. I think so at least, I'm pretty sure I could hear him right through the door :p The greatness of this game is probably more subtle, in the telling of the story, the atmosphere, and the puzzle solving. Already I've been quite satisfied with the various puzzles and secrets.

It could even be until the very end of the game when it cements itself as being worth all the reviews. I remember with Ico, this happened. I'd heard such great things about Ico, and playing through it, yeah it was good, really good in fact, but great? And then I got to the ending, and in one scene, the entire emotional perspective of the game changes. If you've played, you should know exactly what I'm talking about, since everyone I know who's played literally gasped at exactly the same part when the realization finally hit them. It was an amazingly subtle form of story telling. But you would have never experience it from just the first 10-20 minutes of the game.

Ninjaman09
08-22-07, 10:20 AM
That is your opinion.

Quoted again for truth.

six_storm
08-22-07, 10:57 AM
consolitis is a contagious disease... its spreading rapidly.

http://madsenblog.dk/billeder/crybaby.jpg

Anywho, Bioshock is awesome. Most people are used to the same ol' WWII, Present Day "shoot em ups" or "destructive future" kinda FPS's, and Bioshock presents something new. Stalker doesn't look all that fun to me and I couldn't give you an honest opinion on that. However, the demo is nothing compared to the full version of Bioshock.

Brent101
08-22-07, 11:10 AM
While you may disagree with a review, to assume they all accept gifts/bribes in return for higher scores is a bit too harsh. I am not saying situations like this never happened, but a lot of these reviewers hold true to their journalistic integrity and follow a code of ethics.

I understand your worries though. Purchasing something based on other people's opinions can be risky since it all comes down to personal preference. Reviewers seem to love the Halo series, but I cannot bring myself to liking those games at all. I don't consider them wrong, I just have to be more careful in choosing whose reviewer's opinion coinsides with my personal likes and dislikes.

For me, I was floored by the demo and immediately knew then and there this thing was going to be brilliant. Its a great introduction to the game, a fair representation, but there is so much more to it than whats in that 30 minutes of gameplay. Just from playing the game a few hours last night, it has become an instant favourite of mine.

I dont want to say "don't trust the demo," because I loved the demo, but I do agree there is so much more. Perhaps if you didn't like the demo, maybe you won't care for it that much though.

Namrok
08-22-07, 11:34 AM
Well, another thing you have to keep in mind, is that gaming journalist are first and foremost gaming fans. And many of them have sort of taken it upon themselves, whether they realize it or not, to try to legitimize gaming as an art form, in the same way that music, movies, books and visual arts are. So when a game comes along that attempts to actualize an artistic vision, they are prone to cutting it some slack or inflating the scores.

Now I absolutely do not think this is the case with Bioshock (well maybe a little bit) but I still think it is simply an absolutely amazing game.

nekrosoft13
08-22-07, 11:59 AM
consolitis is a contagious disease... its spreading rapidly.

RIP Rainbow Six.

RIP Rainbow Six? :headexplode:

Vegas is good game. Lockdown was horrible. But Vegas is one of the best games this year.

conroejoe
08-22-07, 12:26 PM
That is your opinion.

STALKER was an awesome game. Took a bit to get into it. What drew me in the most was the real location used and being able to get inside reactor. I played through STALKER 3 times and all 7 endings. If you haven't, you should.

Bioshock is ok, I'm not yet hooked but I'm sure I will be. From the demo, I do believe the reviews are quite overrated. The blood effect is terribly fake when you shoot someone. Looks like grape jelly splattering.

Monolyth
08-22-07, 12:47 PM
Bioshock is ok, I'm not yet hooked but I'm sure I will be. From the demo, I do believe the reviews are quite overrated. The blood effect is terribly fake when you shoot someone. Looks like grape jelly splattering.

There are side-effects to using plasmids.

The game really does pick-up after the first hour or so, and the demo is nothing compared to the full game. GFX are about the same, but the amount of different solutions to various situations I've already employed (only been playing about 5 hrs so far) have been extremely numerous and varied, from shielding myself from bullets with a corpse, to launching an electric line trap into a splicers head (which then thoroughly exploded), to grabbing a rocket mid-flight and launching it at a splicer....oh yeah...good times.

Daddy battles are fun, and continually get harder and harder, requiring more elaborate setup's to take them down. :) Overall, the game is doing a great job of entertaining, frightening, and ultraviolencing. ;)

Mangler
08-22-07, 12:55 PM
RIP Rainbow Six? :headexplode:

Vegas is good game. Lockdown was horrible. But Vegas is one of the best games this year.

Vegas was a good fps, but it was also as horrible as lockdown when it comes to staying true to the franchise.

jAkUp
08-22-07, 12:57 PM
STALKER was an awesome game. Took a bit to get into it. What drew me in the most was the real location used and being able to get inside reactor. I played through STALKER 3 times and all 7 endings. If you haven't, you should.

For me, there are many things in Stalker that I just cannot get past.

Honestly, I never beat it. I couldn't get past the grainy/muddy graphics, and weird AI.

mullet
08-22-07, 12:59 PM
not to mention the MP good grief.

Sem
08-22-07, 01:20 PM
i kinda agree with the OP
not saying bioshock is bad game its acutally pretty good

but i dont think its a 9.7 or a 95% etc game

more like a 80-90% game
then again im not easily impressed and i don't allow myself to be drawn into all the hype

all IMO

DRen72
08-22-07, 02:11 PM
i kinda agree with the OP
not saying bioshock is bad game its acutally pretty good

but i dont think its a 9.7 or a 95% etc game

more like a 80-90% game
then again im not easily impressed and i don't allow myself to be drawn into all the hype

all IMOI would agree. I also would put STALKER slightly lower, maybe 79-89% in terms of quality. But they are both fun games regardless!

svetli_pp
08-22-07, 02:27 PM
I was drawn into the hype actually, maybe that's why I am quite disappointed. It often happens that a game receives a very high score at a certain review page, but Bioshock was praised unanimously. I'm really curious now what the reviewers see that I can not (maybe 2k green $$$$ per unit score :)))), and I will try the full game though I can't imagine such a twist after the first 30 minutes that could make me appreciate it much more.