PDA

View Full Version : You can only install Bioshock TWICE!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AngelGraves13
08-22-07, 02:59 PM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/more-bioshock-shock/bioshock-pc-+-you-only-install-twice-292222.php

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6037

Well...this game is looking less and less attractive every freakin' minute.

jcrox
08-22-07, 03:01 PM
pffft, if there isn't one already, I'm sure there will be a no-activation hack out soon.

AngelGraves13
08-22-07, 03:03 PM
pffft, if there isn't one already, I'm sure there will be a no-activation hack out soon.

Why do the one who paid for the game always get punished? It makes no sense. This may well be my last 2K game EVER. They better dump Securom. I wish that company would just get blown up.

Namrok
08-22-07, 03:04 PM
Turns out you can only have this simultaneously installed on two computers. Installing the game "activates" one of your two copies, uninstalling "deactivates" it. But if your computer craps out, or for any reason you don't uninstall the game, and then lose the ability to uninstall that instance of it, it's gone for good. Only way to fix it is to all up Securom and have them "deactivate" that copy of the game.

So it's not as bad as it sounds.

But its still pretty bad.

360 FTW

3DBrad
08-22-07, 03:07 PM
Well, I hope we all enjoyed our $40-50 demo after two formats.

I reformat my computer every few months.

nopp0x00
08-22-07, 03:15 PM
Well, I hope we all enjoyed our $40-50 demo after two formats.

I reformat my computer every few months.

Reformatting your computer every few months is ****ing stupid.

If you take care and don't trash your registry, there is no reason to do so.

I haven't re-installed in over 8 months and that was only because I lost a hard drive.

I'm using the Steam version, btw. If you don't like the way it's done in the regular version, get the Steam version.

JohnDio
08-22-07, 03:16 PM
It's pretty fine IMO,as long as you can uninstall and gain the activation back. So before formating or anything else,uninstall the game ;)

delas52
08-22-07, 03:18 PM
Maybe steam isn't so bad after all (nana2)

jcrox
08-22-07, 03:18 PM
It is pretty stupid either way, either they're very naive as to the abilities of the pirates or very arrogant as to their own abilities. It really does nothing but hamper the honest buyer. Wish I would have went with steam now :(

AngelGraves13
08-22-07, 03:24 PM
Maybe steam isn't so bad after all (nana2)

No, Steam also uses it.

Mangler
08-22-07, 03:29 PM
Good news: http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=17054

Take2 really should have put some info about how you deactivate the game in the manual, it would have saved them from some of the bad pr this launch has caused them.

There should have been a whole page about this new version of securom in the manual imo, just putting internet connection required on the box is not enough

3DBrad
08-22-07, 03:32 PM
Selling my copy for $23 or less on Ebay now.

Tygerwoody
08-22-07, 03:40 PM
I've never seen so much crying in my life.

Its a SINGLE player game. It has only 15 hours of playtime. More than likely, I will only install this game ONE time. Lets pretend that a volcano came from underneath the ground to take away my computer. When I build a new computer, I can install again, no problems. Lets pretend another volcano took out my computer again. Then I simply call 2k "yo, volcano ate my computer. Can you please activate my license" . "sure guy". All is well.

Bioshock threads, all summed up by one picture.

http://picturebook.chattablogs.com/archives/images/06_02_11.jpg

3DBrad
08-22-07, 03:51 PM
LOL, for the people that PMd me, the game sold in like 4-5 minutes on Ebay, so maybe that was one of you.

delas52
08-22-07, 03:52 PM
So how would I go about uninstalling or deactivating a steam copy of the game? 'Delete Local Content'? Not that I'm ever planning on uninstalling it.

|MaguS|
08-22-07, 03:57 PM
So how would I go about uninstalling or deactivating a steam copy of the game? 'Delete Local Content'? Not that I'm ever planning on uninstalling it.

You don't have to worry about this issue with steam since it doesn't use securerom for protection.

Mangler
08-22-07, 04:04 PM
You don't have to worry about this issue with steam since it doesn't use securerom for protection.

Seems like the steamversion also has securom:

"SecuRom limits Bioshock installations to 2 hardware configurations at the same time. If you want to install BioShock on a third computer using the same Steam account, you have to uninstall one of your previous installations('Delete local content')."

Source:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6623735&postcount=25

Tygerwoody
08-22-07, 04:17 PM
So far, everything about this Securom I LIKE. I can tell its irritating the poor little pirates though. *tear*

Mangler
08-22-07, 04:21 PM
So far, everything about this Securom I LIKE. I can tell its irritating the poor little pirates though. *tear*

As long as you can deactivate the copy, then I can live with this kind of copy-protection.

However, had they done it the same way as microsoft does it with vista, then it would have been more bothersome.

I doubt the pirates are crying about it though, as they dont have to deal with the activation, they will just find a workaround in a week or so

DiscipleDOC
08-22-07, 04:24 PM
Reformatting your computer every few months is ****ing stupid.

If you take care and don't trash your registry, there is no reason to do so.

I haven't re-installed in over 8 months and that was only because I lost a hard drive.

I'm using the Steam version, btw. If you don't like the way it's done in the regular version, get the Steam version.
There is nothing wrong with reformatting your drive once in a while. Everytime you go to a website, a cookie could insert "trash" in your registry....so unless you are not on the 'netz then your registry is trashed--according to your logic.

Dreamingawake
08-22-07, 04:56 PM
okay so let me get this straight.

-you have a hard copy of the game; you can install it and play it on up to 2
computers.

-you have the steam copy of the game.. uh..

how do i install/play it on another computer?

Mangler
08-22-07, 04:58 PM
okay so let me get this straight.

-you have a hard copy of the game; you can install it and play it on up to 2
computers.

-you have the steam copy of the game.. uh..

how do i install/play it on another computer?

"SecuRom limits Bioshock installations to 2 hardware configurations at the same time. If you want to install BioShock on a third computer using the same Steam account, you have to uninstall one of your previous installations('Delete local content')."

Source:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...5&postcount=25

Both versions works the same way, just install steam on the other computer.

Dreamingawake
08-22-07, 05:00 PM
Wow ! Sweet ! That's so cool, my gf was going to go purchase the game
for her laptop but I'll just do this instead. Thanks for the info !!! :) (nana2)

jeffmd
08-22-07, 05:03 PM
Sorry, but requiring that an offline single player game need to activate itself online means that at some point in the future, who ever maintains the activations servers is going to pull the plug (we allready see it today with ONLINE games and DRM stores going under). This is instant fail.

Mangler
08-22-07, 05:05 PM
Wow ! Sweet ! That's so cool, my gf was going to go purchase the game
for her laptop but I'll just do this instead. Thanks for the info !!! :) (nana2)

Keep in mind that both of you cannot play the game at the same time.