PDA

View Full Version : Wii overtakes Xbox 360, becomes fastest selling console ever made

Am_I_Evil
08-22-07, 08:36 PM
http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=130468

VG Chartz reported on Wednesday that as of August 23, Wii worldwide sales will have surpassed life time Xbox 360 sales in less than a year. In so doing, the Wii has become the fastest selling console of all time.

According to the report, total Wii units sold stand at 10.6 million, slightly more than the Xbox 360's estimated 10.5 million. Since its release, the Wii has outsold 360 by a margin of more than 2 to 1.

By comparison, Sony's PS3 has sold just 4.3 million systems worldwide since launching last November.

The news marks the first time that Nintendo has been the leader in both the home console and handheld markets since 1994 when the company's Super NES and Game Boy lines reigned supreme. Currently, the DS and Wii are the top two selling system's in the industry.

Additionally, the report claims despite continued shortages, Wii has managed to become the fasting selling console of all time selling at a greater pace than the most widely purchased console in history, Sony's PlayStation 2.

"In just two years, home console sales for the three major manufacturers have effectively reversed," said VG Chartz in a statement on its website. "This will have a large impact on third party publishers and will undoubtedly influence the decisions they make in the future."

AthlonXP1800
08-22-07, 09:00 PM
I started monitored on VG Chartz back in January 2007, Xbox 360 hitted 10M mark in began of January 2007 but 7 months on the sales not moved up very fast as Microsoft had hoped, it sold about 510,000 units this year.

Really very impressed with Wii sales figures outpaced Xbox 360 in less than a year since launch. Sony need to cut the price of PS3 or introduce new revision that cost alot less to make and sell at lower price would see it outpace both Xbox 360 and Wii.

MaUiLoCaL
08-22-07, 09:00 PM
(nana2) Go Nintendo!:D

Mr_LoL
08-23-07, 03:39 AM
I am not getting sucked into the hype tbh. Apart from Mario Kart, there are no games that interest me.

Namrok
08-23-07, 07:54 AM
I am not getting sucked into the hype tbh. Apart from Mario Kart, there are no games that interest me.

That is what is amazing about the success of the Wii, gamers like you don't matter any more :D

Your parents and grandparents on the other hand...

Metroid Prime 3 in a week, so I'm happy!

Lfctony
08-23-07, 07:56 AM
Well I have one, but don't use it. And I bet I'm not the only one. Even my PS3 (with it's own lack of games) gets more action. The only console I actually use a bit is the 360.

Mr. Hunt
08-23-07, 08:17 AM
Well I have one, but don't use it. And I bet I'm not the only one. Even my PS3 (with it's own lack of games) gets more action. The only console I actually use a bit is the 360.

Same... played through about 90% of Zelda TP and then just gave up playing it.... would have rather been playing with a gamecube controller.

No games interest me for it at the moment.

Tygerwoody
08-23-07, 09:17 AM
My Wii has an inch thick of dust on it. For the same price I paid, I could have gotten a 360. Man do i regret my decision. :thumbdwn:

Mazztadawn
08-23-07, 02:35 PM
It was smart of them to expand their marketbase. I personally know of 6 people buying Wii's that never owned any type of video games before. Judging by these numbers the phenomenon is not isolated.

I have one myself, though my wife primarily plays it. I may have to kick her off for Metroid though. Eventually....got Bioshock to keep me occupied for now.

SOAD
08-23-07, 05:22 PM
I personally are a bit disappointed in the wii. :(

The graphics though not the main fault are just on the wrong side of crap.

The unit isnt the quietest in the world.

The controller is definitly over rated. The analogue and lock on is used to much and when it is used, it isnt really for specific things merely waving it around. (Godfather etc)

Finally there are no really good adult games on it. Sure there are few eg resident evil, but it IS showing the same trend of that of the gamecube. Filled to the brim with mario and that other ****.

I havent played mine in 2 weeks now.

Nesseight
08-23-07, 06:09 PM
My Wii makes hardly any noise at all, perhaps you have a defective fan or the blade is brushing up on the fan's power cable?

The main problem with the adult games that do exist on Wii it is that for whatever reason they don't have Internet multi-player. That is probably the developer's fault unless Nintendo forbade them to include Internet capability, which I doubt.

The controls, however, beat any paddle hands-down. How do you compare with point and click accuracy? The Wii's controls compare with a PC's mouse and keyboard, the left control (nunchuck) is like an analog WASD and has Q and R as well, not including the motion sensing/tilt stuff. The right control is like a mouse with at least two easy to reach buttons and a direction-pad, not including the motion sensing/tilt stuff. PS3 and XBox controls on the other hand are just typical paddle-style joypads... you wouldn't use those in most PC games so why use them on a console that's supposed to be have like a PC? Has the PS3 control even changed that much since the first Dual Shock on the PS1?

To each his own I guess, but I always hated playing FPS (my idea of "adult") games with paddles, even back in the days of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. On that note, unfortunately, Rare no longer works for Nintendo and they have lost their touch anyway, so we won't be seeing any more Halo-stompers, at least, not any made by them.

I'm a PC gamer myself. For the most part, I hate all consoles but think they are a great way to introduce newbies to gaming before showing them that if they use a graphics card that isn't from Dell, that they can play awesome games on their PC, but I gave the Wii a try since it didn't cost more than it's hardware is actually worth. I'm not disappointed in the system itself, perhaps a little underpowered, but what do you expect from something the size of a CD drive? However, it's lineup of games needs some severe work, I don't care that Mario Strikers and Pokemon have net-play, I want to see heads explode and brain matter splattered all over the wall, and I want to see it online, damn it! :headexplode:

SOAD
08-23-07, 08:36 PM
My Wii makes hardly any noise at all, perhaps you have a defective fan or the blade is brushing up on the fan's power cable?

The main problem with the adult games that do exist on Wii it is that for whatever reason they don't have Internet multi-player. That is probably the developer's fault unless Nintendo forbade them to include Internet capability, which I doubt.

The controls, however, beat any paddle hands-down. How do you compare with point and click accuracy? The Wii's controls compare with a PC's mouse and keyboard, the left control (nunchuck) is like an analog WASD and has Q and R as well, not including the motion sensing/tilt stuff. The right control is like a mouse with at least two easy to reach buttons and a direction-pad, not including the motion sensing/tilt stuff. PS3 and XBox controls on the other hand are just typical paddle-style joypads... you wouldn't use those in most PC games so why use them on a console that's supposed to be have like a PC? Has the PS3 control even changed that much since the first Dual Shock on the PS1?

To each his own I guess, but I always hated playing FPS (my idea of "adult") games with paddles, even back in the days of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. On that note, unfortunately, Rare no longer works for Nintendo and they have lost their touch anyway, so we won't be seeing any more Halo-stompers, at least, not any made by them.

I'm a PC gamer myself. For the most part, I hate all consoles but think they are a great way to introduce newbies to gaming before showing them that if they use a graphics card that isn't from Dell, that they can play awesome games on their PC, but I gave the Wii a try since it didn't cost more than it's hardware is actually worth. I'm not disappointed in the system itself, perhaps a little underpowered, but what do you expect from something the size of a CD drive? However, it's lineup of games needs some severe work, I don't care that Mario Strikers and Pokemon have net-play, I want to see heads explode and brain matter splattered all over the wall, and I want to see it online, damn it! :headexplode:

QFT!! I want blood dammit! :captnkill: (lee63)

Personally I dont give a ****. Who cares about the price. Its just that I was hoping for a bit more.

I mean, in godfather manual aim sucks balls, as its jerky etc and is just not suited to the play when you have 3 people shooting at you. Thus you have to use the autoaim and thus its just using buttons.

I think im spoiled on Pc games. :D It dosent help that my demo of bioshock downloaded just as I was going to turn on the wii.

The lack of graphical horsepower is even more apparent.

However give me some good adult games and im good :D

LycosV
08-23-07, 10:10 PM
This is worldwide though. In Japan the 360 sold/is selling like crap. In the US I the 360 still has a fairly significant lead.

Zapablast05
08-23-07, 10:34 PM
I'll bet you my shoes that when Super Smash Bros Brawl comes out, people who don't have a Wii and that have been wanting that game will come flogging each other to stores to buy both the Wii and Brawl before one or the other sell out.

Cash Cow for Wii: SS Brawl
Cash Cow for 360: Halo 3

WCG
08-24-07, 01:44 AM
I have a Wii, and have had for quite a while, played it about a dozen times, but everytime I've played it I've loved it. It doesn't have enough of a game selection for me to play it more often. I own RE4 which is quite fun, as well as Zelda which I've only played the first 5 minutes. I've recently been hooked on virtual console games like Mario 64 etc. Was it worth the 300 canadian I paid? I think so.

thor1182
08-24-07, 10:57 AM
I'd have to disagree just a bit on the controls of the Wii beating any paddle. Honestly, I think the point-and-click aiming that most Wii games use is FAR more innaccurate than using a PS3/360 controller.

The IR bar/Wii-mote just seems jerky and slow to me.
I'm with him. The Wii controls when you are trying to do point an click is harder than people think it is. There is a lot of calibration and compensating with it to get it right.

You also have very few buttons to use for different hot keys on the Wii controller scheme.