PDA

View Full Version : UT3 on PS3 running at 60fps

Marvel_us
08-23-07, 11:29 AM
The Redeemer is now controlled in camera mode by tilting the PS3 pad from side to side - which in our demonstration looked to work without a hitch. Similarly, hoverboard controls now work using the tilt capabilities of the PS3, twisting the pad to perform spins and tricks.

The console version itself is looking in great shape; the version we saw today was running at a solid 60fps and looked near-identical with the PC counterpart, which was also running side by side. Mouse and keyboard support is also confirmed, although Epic wouldn't say anything when we quized them about crossplatform play

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170675

EDIT: I still wouldn't get my hopes up on that until it's official from Epic.

|MaguS|
08-23-07, 11:36 AM
Thats weird considering they originally stated that it was running at 30fps.

bugmeplz
08-23-07, 12:18 PM
It's probably the same situation as Bioshock on the 360. The game can probably run at 60 fps 90% of the time, but they'll end up locking it at 30 fps...but hopefully we'll have the option to disable the fps limiter.

thats a shame if they limited bioshock to 30 fps if it was able to hold 60 frames for 90% of the time

Lyme
08-23-07, 12:29 PM
thats a shame if they limited bioshock to 30 fps if it was able to hold 60 frames for 90% of the time

It is unlikely I'd notice the difference on my 44" tv.

Buenamos
08-23-07, 03:38 PM
If true, that's very impressive!

Luckily my roommate has a PS3. (nana2)

PeterJensen
08-23-07, 04:31 PM
Very nice.

Nesseight
08-23-07, 05:17 PM
If by cross-platform play you mean something like PC and PS3 users playing on the same servers, I wouldn't count on it. Hitboxes in console versions of games such as this are ten times the size as they are on the PC counter-parts. Even if that wasn't the case, why would you want to play with a paddle against people who are using mice?

Oh wait, you want to be the guy on the PC! ^^

Shame on you.

|MaguS|
08-23-07, 05:31 PM
If by cross-platform play you mean something like PC and PS3 users playing on the same servers, I wouldn't count on it. Hitboxes in console versions of games such as this are ten times the size as they are on the PC counter-parts. Even if that wasn't the case, why would you want to play with a paddle against people who are using mice?

Oh wait, you want to be the guy on the PC! ^^

Shame on you.

God go away... The PS3 version will support Mouse and Keyboard, if anything it would be like someone playing UT3 on a midrange PC without framerate issues. The hit boxes haven't changed, the game is identical on both platforms according to EPIC.

BTW Some people are really dam good when it comes to play FPS, I know some people who play CAL on a joypad...

Nesseight
08-23-07, 05:48 PM
In that case, it doesn't sound too bad, though Unreal games tend to run great on just about any system built within a reasonable amount of time around it's release.

I just remember someone (CAL-m in CSS) told me that UT2K4(3?) on PS2 had hitboxes the size of houses compared to the PC version, it's logical to assume that the same holds true for sequels, but I didn't realize that a mouse could be hooked up to a console and be expected to work with games.

Just because someone plays in CAL with a joypad doesn't mean they're good. A joypad limits your motion where a mouse allows you to turn/look as fast as you need to. I know people who use dual-analog joypads in PC games and I can literally stay behind them when they're trying to turn to shoot me, and I am not even real good.

The only time I see anyone have (arguably) an advantage with a joypad in an FPS game is when they take control of a vehical. Inevitably if you're in a jet and you're flying it with the mouse, you'll have to pick up the mouse and move it to the opposite end of the pad, which is bad, mkay? When it comes to precision aiming, though, mouse is king regardless.

Lyme
08-23-07, 07:59 PM
Supposedly the game appears to run a bit more smoothly (such as when you're turning around, etc). I haven't tried it out myself though.

Typically most games have frame rate drops when you turn compared to simply running along. The thing is, if your game is doing a solid 30fps even when turning, things will be consistently smooth, if the frame rate drops you will see the chuging that many of us notice. So.. If my game can do a constant 30fps on a 44" tv I'm happy as punch, if the darn thing drops to 15fps when I turn, I'll be annoyed. Ultimately it isn't the peak frame rates that a system/game can do, it is the minimum frame rate that we will see and be annoyed at. Btw: people will notice changes in frame rate much more than fixing the game at a artificially low one.

But hey, if the ps3 can do a rock solid 60fps, I'm all for it. (not like I own a ps3 anyway).

H3avyM3tal
08-24-07, 05:04 AM
I just remember someone (CAL-m in CSS) told me that UT2K4(3?) on PS2 had hitboxes the size of houses compared to the PC version, it's logical to assume that the same holds true for sequels, but I didn't realize that a mouse could be hooked up to a console and be expected to work with games.

That thing never existed.