PDA

View Full Version : Impressed by Bioshock's quality

Severian126
08-23-07, 06:40 PM
For a game that looks so good, it has been coded extremely well from what I see. It hardly pushes my PC on the highest settings, and in Windows est, it requires only a 2.0 performance rating to play it, (while NWN 2 requires a 5.0!)

Also, games like Company of Heroes, FEAR, Neverwinter Nights 2....well, it seems or feels like these games pushes my rig far more than Bioshock, and yet the return (in graphics, performance, etc.) from Bioshock is far greater.

Or maybe I'm just high.

nVJoe
08-23-07, 06:44 PM
It hardly pushes your system!? WTF Look at your specs. Duh!

BTW you didn't put enough information in your sig. We don't what kind of chair you have, desk or computer related items. Did you really pay around $6000 for your system!? WTF mate. L2build

bugmeplz
08-23-07, 06:49 PM
lol, i like how he even includes his cd writer has LiteScribe technology

nVJoe
08-23-07, 06:52 PM
lol, i like how he even includes his cd writer has LiteScribe technology
LOL the monitor isn't there. I bet he has a 15" monochrome monitory. LMAO!

To be fair, he spent a lot of money on that rig, so maybe I would put every single thing down to the EXTREME PERFORMANCE Wire Harnesses also.

:captnkill:

Severian126
08-23-07, 07:02 PM
Wow I didn't expect to be put down because of the system I own, when my intention was to talk about how well the programmers did on the game. I know what system I have and the specs, but at the same time, some games do push a system like this far more than games like Bioshock that aren't even graphically that impressive, is what I'm saying.

I'm aware of the money I paid for it and I'm happy with it. Be grateful you guys have the time and knowledge to build yourself a better deal. I'm afraid I'm not that good and would prefer to have the peace of mind. And I got lazy and decided to just post what was on my order to my sig. Sue me for not being nerdy enough to use the correct format. :P

nVJoe
08-23-07, 07:04 PM
Wow I didn't expect to be put down because of the system I own, when my intention was to talk about how well the programmers did on the game. I know what system I have and the specs, but at the same time, some games do push a system like this far more than games like Bioshock that aren't even graphically that impressive, is what I'm saying.

I'm aware of the money I paid for it and I'm happy with it. Be grateful you guys have the time and knowledge to build yourself a better deal. I'm afraid I'm not that good and would prefer to have the peace of mind. And I got lazy and decided to just post what was on my order to my sig. Sue me for not being nerdy enough to use the correct format. :P

LOL I'm not putting you down. It is great you can afford that kind of a system.
Your sig just struck me as well as a lot of information of a awesome system.

Sorry if you thought I was putting you down. I was just joking with ya at your expense. :D
It is what we do. Ya just have to roll with it. We all get cracked on. We're men and we are assholes. :D

To get to your topic, yes it does run well. They really did a good job with this game. It is refreshing to have a game that does not crap out your system.

Severian126
08-23-07, 07:10 PM
Ah well, I'm sorry for taking offense to that. I'm just too used to people criticizing me (in other forums) of the system I bought rather than building it myself, and this is one of the few places that have yet to do that to me. :)

Yeah bioshock kicks ass. I'm just happy to have a game that runs well and looks well. NWN 2 chugs at time and gives me no end of frustration with its performance. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Gnaddel
08-23-07, 07:36 PM
Yeah, Bioshock seems to be a good piece of coding. There have allways been examples of good coding, HL1+2, FarCry, Outcast.... You could continue it forever. However, that is what I expect if the devs want me to buy their product.

You could use size tags in your signature btw., just insert "[*=-3]" on top of the signature and "[/*]" at its end. (*=size)

breathemetal
08-23-07, 07:38 PM
Im about to start up the demo now.
I may run and grab the retail version tomorrow if i like it. :D

SH0DAN
08-23-07, 07:44 PM
Its the first shooter to actually use all four cores of my Q6600,me = happy

Bring on Strangehold and UT3 !! as well as Crysis !! More quad gaming goodness FTW !!!!

Severian126
08-23-07, 07:47 PM
Yeah, Bioshock seems to be a good piece of coding. There have allways been examples of good coding, HL1+2, FarCry, Outcast.... You could continue it forever. However, that is what I expect if the devs want me to buy their product.

You could use size tags in your signature btw., just insert "[*=-3]" on top of the signature and "[/*]" at its end. (*=size)

Cool thanks, looks better now! I would do away with sigs altogether, but it seems it's much easier to have it on when I run into problems and ask for help....which seems to happen alot more than I'd like.

3DBrad
08-23-07, 07:53 PM
No offece to the Original Poster, but this is the umpteenth thread about Bioshock

. . .therefore. . .

This thread needs more Cow bell,
http://web.cs.miami.edu/home/strac/images/cow_bell.jpg

and more MOH:A :captnkill:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u83/CS_Stech/MOHADemo2007-08-2303-43-38-13800x60.jpg

Odral
08-23-07, 07:55 PM
Its the first shooter to actually use all four cores of my Q6600,me = happy

Bring on Strangehold and UT3 !! as well as Crysis !! More quad gaming goodness FTW !!!!

I thought Bioshock only used duel core? Could be wrong but I read it somewhere.

Destroy
08-23-07, 07:59 PM
I thought Bioshock only used duel core? Could be wrong but I read it somewhere.

This game really uses 4 cores? Shodan, got proof of that somewhere?

3DBrad
08-23-07, 08:00 PM
Unreal Engine 3 games (well good ones, which I guess excludes R6:Vegas :p ) usually use dual core very well, but they also use quad-cores, just not as much.

Q. How will Unreal Tournament 3 use multiple cores on a CPU? Does it take advantage of Quad Core CPU’s? If so, how/what task is assigned to each core?
A. Unreal Engine 3 is a transitional multithreaded architecture. It runs two heavyweight threads, and a pool of helper threads.

The primary thread is responsible for running UnrealScript AI and gameplay logic and networking. The secondary thread is responsible for all rendering work. The pool of helper threads accelerate additional modular tasks such as physics, data decompression, and streaming.

Thus UE3 runs significantly faster on CPUs which support two or more high-performance threads. This includes dual-core Intel and AMD PC CPUs, the Xbox 360 (which sports 3 CPU cores and 2 hardware threads per core), and PlayStation 3 (with 1 CPU core running 2 high-performance hardware threads per core.)

Beyond two cores or hardware threads, UE3 performance continues to scale up, as the additional threads accelerate physics and decompression work. However, not all scenes are performance-bound by such things, so there are diminishing returns as you go beyond 4 cores. By the time CPUs with large numbers of cores are available – thinking 16-core and beyond – we’ll be on the start of a new engine generation, with some significant changes in software architecture to enable greater scaling.

http://www.thattechsite.com/main/?p=141

K-1
08-24-07, 12:40 AM
I agree with Severian, I was not expecting good performance at all, especially after playing R6: Vegas (I never thought I'd have to run a game at 800x600 again...WITH just about everything turned down). Yet, 1024x768, with every setting to high, and the game is very smooth, feels great.

wrathofgod
08-24-07, 12:48 AM
For a game that looks so good, it has been coded extremely well from what I see.

Agreed. Runs extremely well at high settings and looks great!

Tygerwoody
08-24-07, 07:21 AM
It hardly pushes your system!? WTF Look at your specs. Duh!

BTW you didn't put enough information in your sig. We don't what kind of chair you have, desk or computer related items. Did you really pay around $6000 for your system!? WTF mate. L2build
:rofl

Quick420
08-24-07, 10:28 AM
For a game that looks so good, it has been coded extremely well from what I see. It hardly pushes my PC on the highest settings, and in Windows est, it requires only a 2.0 performance rating to play it, (while NWN 2 requires a 5.0!)

Also, games like Company of Heroes, FEAR, Neverwinter Nights 2....well, it seems or feels like these games pushes my rig far more than Bioshock, and yet the return (in graphics, performance, etc.) from Bioshock is far greater.

Or maybe I'm just high.

PM me when you want to drop one of those 8800 ultra's,you dont need 2:D

DRen72
08-24-07, 04:27 PM
I think most of us can expect the same type of quality from Crysis too. I expect it to be optimized to run pretty well on an average rig, mine for example. Of course I'll be upgrading around that time too.

XDanger
08-24-07, 05:29 PM
I think people who buy decent systems prefer playing games to playing with hardware.