PDA

View Full Version : My new PC parts list, getting ready for crysis.

jeffmd
08-23-07, 06:41 PM
Well thanks to some good feedback on my last post, I've decided to go with the core 2 6750. One reason of going down this way is I know I can hit the quads up down the road, no idea what might happen with the amd boards and its future cpus. I'm prolly gonna submit the order tomorrow, pretty much everything is on newegg as its well priced and all in one spot. It IS costing around $1600, so making sure I've heard all suggestions for changes or atleast reasons why not to get one of the items below so that I may consider an alternative.

My goal is, a PC that I don't plan to upgrade for a while, and will play pretty much everything that is currently in the works. Saddly, of course, the crysis team hasn't revealed what they currently run their demonstrations off of to get an idea of if an 8800 is good enough for max quality graphics, or if sli is required.

Edit: I pretty sizeable revision as I went back, decided to opt differently on a few things, play with some numbers and such. This definitely looks like what I'm getting.

$1,721.92 before tax, and theres a couple $20 and $30 mail in rebates (I dont look at that price though..). A sizable chunk of change, but I haven't updated my pc in several year accept for buying the 7800gs KO 2 years ago in an attempt to stave off upgrading my entire system untill the next generation, and this should definitely last me atleast another year before I need to touch anything. Even then, I shouldn't need a new system overhaul for another 4. By then I should be rich.

Antec Performance One P180B Black
$129.99

Originaly was going with the 182, but the 180b is jet black and missing water cooling ports, thats all. I'll save $30 thank you. ;)

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
$219

I was actually going to go with the asus delux p5k for the same amount so I could have crossfire for the future (save myself a mobo upgrade for $50..if I went back to ati), but I forgot evga now makes mobos. Saw this up-to-date 680i for the same amount and was hard to pass up. Prolly missing a few cooling features from the asus, but atleast Ive got fan controls.

EVGA 768-P2-N881-AR GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I went higher. ^^ I decided to go for the additional pipelines instead of clock speeds. I can overclock myself, I can't do anything about missing pipelines, and it was only another 20 bucks more. I also switched my PSU to the antec trio 650, only because I saw a 6800ultra user powering his with it. It says Its SLI certified, but I bet I'm still gonna need a new psu if I ever do go SLI 8800 ultras. Prolly have to go with a 1000w mammoth. ;)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
$289.99

Quad core, yay. ^_^

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Micron D7 Chip Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N1066SR2GK - Retail
$167.99

Its a start. I just know I'm gonna need atleast 1 more gig in the next year though. ^^

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$79.99

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface
$90.99

Havn't bought a Sound blaster since the original Live, my sound storm nforce2 chipset served me well, but it could never do 3d sound in games properly. So now I'm gonna pony up. From what I researched, this is about as cheap as you can get for a sound blaster that has a REAL cpu on it. The cheaper sound blasters use either a low powered cpu or none at all and use software to mix most of the 3d audio causing significant performance hits.

SlieTheSecond
08-23-07, 09:28 PM
It has been stated Crysis will take advantage of quad core.

Personally if I where to build a computer right now, i would get a quad.

8800 will run it just fine, just not absolute highest quality. Afaik, the equipment doesn't exist for a home user to be able to run Crysis at absolute max. It is suppose to be designed to take advantage of future equipment.

Some demos where on a c2d and a 8800 I believe. And they ran pretty smooth while being in beta stage.
And some where ran on a quad core with 4 gb of ram. It's impossible to know how well it will run on what equipment until the game is out.

All we can do is take a guess. I will say your computer will run it just fine. Just not maxed out. Plus you can't really build much better of a computer except adding another video card and 2 gigs of ram and going quad core.

vert305
08-23-07, 10:30 PM
More RAM!!! (nana2)
Cheaper 8800GTX.. then overclock yourself save $100 (or SLI the GTS 640)

and ..Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz ($289 Newegg) .. Overclock that to 2.6 which is ($555 @ newegg) (better if you go quad Bigger savings)

Technoholic
08-23-07, 11:56 PM
Even 8800GTX and E6570 will do for Crysis? Wow, I thought it would require more than that to run at the smoothest possible.

jeffmd
08-24-07, 12:19 AM
I dont wanna overclock or rely on overclock because a) I need to keep heat down (I'm in Florida, its hot enough thanks), and b) its not guarenteed speed. The stuff may not overclock.

I can add more ram later if need.

I'll consider using a quad, but I dont want to be left out in pure power either. My laptop, while being a nice and fast dual core, is only 1.6 ghz and cant really do 1080p decoding.

Libertysyclone
08-24-07, 11:18 AM
I would drop to the Standard clock GTX and OC/BIOS flash it yourself.

Currently all of the 8800's are coming from NVIDIA there is no difference in the OC or NON OC models besides clock speeds until you get to the over cooled models (Water cooled and ACS3)

I would get the Q6600 and Bump it to 2.8Ghz with a Tuniq Tower and you would be fine.

You could also ave some change on your RAM by getting 800Mhz speed, if you are not going to OC.

Other than that you have a great system :) I like that case.

john19055
08-24-07, 03:10 PM
I would go with a Quad6600 and buy a cheaper 8800GTX because all the GTX overclock good ,Plus the Q6600 overclock good ,even the B3 Q6600 that I have will do 3280 on stock voltage.

jeffmd
08-24-07, 06:46 PM
Yea I'll get the quad, its only .2 ghz lower, that shouldn't really effect much and adding 2 more cores on to that is a much bigger difference. I guess I blocked it out of my mind cause I had my mentality set on just a real fast core 2.

SlieTheSecond
08-24-07, 10:52 PM
The quad is a really fast cpu. All the C2D's are really fast cpu's.

We just like to make them a bit faster :)

P.s. if you plan on having 4 GB of ram. You need a 64 bit os. If your getting a 32 bit os. I'd stick to 2 GB.

jeffmd
08-24-07, 11:54 PM
yea, well I'll prolly go 3 gigs. Getting vista 64 isn't hard, but I won't do it till games can actually run on them. As it is, games like bioshock don't actually run on it. ^^

XDanger
08-26-07, 02:32 PM
get 4gigs for dual channel
Price of a q6600 and a e6850 or something like that ???? are comaparble (the same) get the Q
ALL CORE 2's ARE THE SAME FROM THE E4300 UPWARDS, THEY ALL GO TO 3.4 AND THEY ALL RUN THE SAME !!!!! :)