PDA

View Full Version : I'm really confused about motherboards for Conroe.

[EOCF] Tim
08-24-07, 07:09 PM
There is the nForce 680 and 650 and then the Intel P35 and 965. I just don't understand what all the differences are, I do want to go SLi in the future, so I guess that would be nVidia. I don't want to wait for any PCI 2.0 boards like the P38, because I can always upgrade to that, I just want a preferably reasonably priced motherboard to go with a Q6600 G0 Quad Core. :)

Where do I start with reading up? I see a lot of horror stories with different brands like Asus or the like with nVidia motherboards. Which one should be the one for me?

I know it's basic question, but I'm still on 939, and haven't read up on anything since then.

Thanks for the patience and help.

[EOCF] Tim
08-24-07, 07:43 PM
What's the difference between that chipset and let's say the nVidia 650 or 680?

I thought P38 is going to be launched Sept 4 and supports PCIe 2.0?

john19055
08-24-07, 07:53 PM
If you want SLI support and know that it is going to overclock your Quad6600 good then the Evga 680i SLI (A1) is good ,but makesure it is a A1 version because some of the other Evga 680i SLI will not overclock Quad cpu's .I don't know if any of the new motherboards such as the P35 have SLI support.
You will hear bad things about the Evga 680i Sli motherboard,but I have had mine since november of 06 and only had a problem when they first came out,but a Bios update fixed that .I have a Quad6600 and I an running the FSB at 1750,but some of the cheaper Evga 680i SLI boards want overclock a quad6600.Plus Evga has a lifetime warranty and they have great support.I had one of the first Evga 680i SLI boards and it would not overclock my Q6600 past 1200 ,but a RMA and Three days later I had a new 680i SLi (A1)
and it ocverclocked my Q6600 great. The ASUS 650 SLI that I had did not have true 16x SLI support just 8x but was'nt that big of a deal plus the 680 has more features .I did'nt try my Q6600 in my ASUS 650 SLI board ,so I don't know how well it overclocked a Quad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013

HeavyH20
08-24-07, 10:01 PM
I have three of the EVGA 680i boards, and they all work great. I run my QX6700 at 1600 FSB 24x7 with a 10x multi. The Q6600 runs at 1600 FSB, as well for 3.6 GHz. They do go up to around 475 FSB or so. But, if you have a lower end CPU with less than a 9x multi, the P35 or soon to be released X38 will help with 500+ FSB potentials. But, no SLI forthcoming on those boards. One other item regarding the 680i boards is the new D00 rev chipset that allows better quad support. Almost all the boards in the channel will be this rev.

[EOCF] Tim
08-25-07, 06:33 AM
I have been trying to read up on things, and the Abit does look good, but no raid and no Sli, I really want to keep the SLi option open, and soon I want to add another Raptor drive to Raid.

What about nVidia's offerings? What boards should I avoid, and if I go with the 650i, is that much more slower then the 680i? What are the common problems, because everyone seems to be hating the nVidia platform?

john19055
08-25-07, 07:11 AM
It not that the 650 SLI is any slower ,is just that the EVGA 680i SLI AI overclocks the Quad 6600 with no problems .If you plan on buying a Quad and want to overclock and have SLI support then IMO this is the Best one ,Even in Maximum PC they recomends this board in there dream system for running a Quad and overclocking it.

sammy sung
08-25-07, 07:23 AM
Tim']I have been trying to read up on things, and the Abit does look good, but no raid and no Sli, I really want to keep the SLi option open, and soon I want to add another Raptor drive to Raid.

What about nVidia's offerings? What boards should I avoid, and if I go with the 650i, is that much more slower then the 680i? What are the common problems, because everyone seems to be hating the nVidia platform?

I initially had issues with my Asus P5N32-E sli (680i) The first board was D.O.A and the second had a busted memory controller wich prevented me from getting anything else than standard speeds until it gave up 6 months later.My third board however works great,i am very happy with it.Its revised with more solidstate caps now and is more or less a striker board (same pcb) but without the lcd display and the onboard clear cmos/power switches.

I'm currently running my 6600 at 3ghz on default voltage but it will do 3.2 without changing vcore.Temps and performance is very good,im not having any nb/sb temp issues at all.I think the majority of the kinks in the 680i/G80 lineup has been ironed out now but im not running a QUAD so i cant say how it works with that.Asus can be a bit confusing though since they have 6 or so different P5N32 models of wich 3 are nforce 4 ,one 590,one a 590/650 hybrid and the E wich i have thats the only true 680i in that series.Asus also have the more expensive striker series ,also good boards.

[EOCF] Tim
08-25-07, 08:22 AM
Hm, yea reason I'm asking is because the 680's are a bit out of my pricerange unfortunately.

Which ones out of this page are the best? Because even though I'm inclined to the P35, the ones that are mainstream don't offer raid. And they don't do SLi. :o

So am I right in saying the main concern with the 650's is if they properly overclock a quad core?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=28&FilterCategories=426&Thumbnails=yes

Libertysyclone
08-25-07, 09:55 AM
650s will work fine with a quad core, HOWEVER you will only be able to run your cards SLI in a x8-x8 mode instead of a x16-x16 mode like the 680i

If your getting an NVIDIA chip get a BFG or XFX 680i they dont have as many BIOS issues as the EVGA.

As far as the p35's go I love my Asus with the exeption of my sound issue which is resolved by reinstalling sound drivers once a week :( This just may be a Vista issue....