PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock installs SecuROM Rootkit (malware), Included in Demo

Pages : [1] 2 3

beardstroke
08-24-07, 08:07 PM
Thought fellow bioshockers should be aware that the game installs a SecuROM rootkit into your machine and hides itself to virus scanners. There is a lengthly process to remove it detailed in this article:

http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo/

"This module has been developed to enable users without Windows™ administrator rights the ability to access all SecuROM™ features."

DarkJedi664
08-24-07, 08:19 PM
WTF? anyone else seen this?

Riplayne
08-24-07, 08:23 PM
I honestly could care less, I have the demo installed and I don't have any computer problems :rolleyes:

jolle
08-24-07, 08:29 PM
Isnt this the case with all securom protected games?

|MaguS|
08-24-07, 08:31 PM
Um so the software installs other software to make sure you have a legal copy.... wheres the problem? Does it make your PC go boom?

SH64
08-24-07, 08:49 PM
After all the trouble we've been through waiting & unlocking the demo we get a rootkit ?! :headexplode:

Eliminator
08-24-07, 08:59 PM
its been known for a few days now but yea this is pretty gay... this is turning into starforce...

|MaguS|
08-24-07, 09:01 PM
its been known for a few days now but yea this is pretty gay... this is turning into starforce...

YAY! I loved Starforce! Man, They should make the newest version automatically update and even send reports to Securerom when someone removes it without removing the game. That would be awsome.

jAkUp
08-24-07, 09:03 PM
I don't see a problem.

Hell punkbuster does this now and nobody cares.

XDanger
08-24-07, 09:10 PM
*REFERENCES TO ROOTKIT HAVE BEEN REMOVED, FURTHER INVESTIGATION HAS REVEALED A MISUNDERSTANDING IN THE THE SECUROM SERVICE

It says at the bottom of the page

Regnad
08-24-07, 09:11 PM
Not a rootkit. No big deal. http://slashdot.org/

Greg
08-24-07, 09:11 PM
The problem is that we have to TRUST some one elses code to be bullet proof against exploits, that is, a place for future viruses and malware to hide. There is a 2nd issue also... What happens when you install the next version of Windows in 3 years time and find your game no longer works and the publisher doesn't care to develop a patch? Both these scenarios have already occured with previous content restriction technologies.

|MaguS|
08-24-07, 09:15 PM
The problem is that we have to TRUST some one elses code to be bullet proof against exploits, that is, a place for future viruses and malware to hide. There is a 2nd issue also... What happens when you install the next version of Windows in 3 years time and find your game no longer works and the publisher doesn't care to develop a patch? Both these scenarios have already occured with previous content restriction technologies.
Every piece of software you install is someone elses code that you have to trust... WHO THE **** CARES!

Just by installing windows your trusting Microsofts code to be bullet proof against exploits. The same with ANY game or piece of software so why is this any different when the software is made to protect another piece of software from being used illegally?

Tygerwoody
08-24-07, 09:17 PM
http://crystal.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/crybaby.jpg

Greg
08-24-07, 09:37 PM
Every piece of software you install is someone elses code that you have to trust... WHO THE **** CARES!

Just by installing windows your trusting Microsofts code to be bullet proof against exploits. The same with ANY game or piece of software so why is this any different when the software is made to protect another piece of software from being used illegally?
I won't argue further than noting these points:

1) Bioshock is a single player game, so there is no network layer that could be abused.
2) The game can run with user privilege, not admin privilege, which greatly reduces its potential to compromise the system.
3) A Rootkit (if it did exist for this game) opens a potential security hole while providing no benefit to the customer.
4) As you say, DRM or content restriction technology is a factor for ALL such systems, not just SecuROM mentioned here.
5) As you say, you do have to trust MS, but they are patching day by day to prevent exploits, and show more responsibility than game publishers typically do.
6) As you say, there is little difference between this (if it contained a rootkit) and similar DRM, but there is no reason this or similar DRM NEED be used to secure a piece of software. Other choices exist.

The bottom line is that customers should not be afraid, or particularly care, just be aware.

Eliminator
08-24-07, 10:09 PM
I don't see a problem.

Hell punkbuster does this now and nobody cares.
yea i noticed 2 punk buster processes when playing quake wars... thing is they were set to autostart with windows :thumbdwn:... all that for nothing... there were still plenty of hackers in the game

jAkUp
08-24-07, 10:14 PM
yea i noticed 2 punk buster processes when playing quake wars... thing is they were set to autostart with windows :thumbdwn:... all that for nothing... there were still plenty of hackers in the game

Yup, yea kinda lame and sucks that there isn't a better way to do it. PunkbusterA and punkbusterB

Darth Rancid
08-25-07, 01:12 AM
The problem is, as it always is with copy protections:

It doesn't effect piracy.

All it does in creates a hassle for real customers. Even if this hassle is kept to a minimum, like the protection scheme eating up 50kB of RAM, and using a few CPU cycles every other minute, it is too much. Why do the publishers insist on selling products that are inferior to what the evil pirates gets their hands on?

K007
08-25-07, 01:21 AM
Wait why is it in the demo?

Tygerwoody
08-25-07, 01:29 AM
I'd like to know one person on this forum who has ever seriously been affected by a Video Game's copy protection. 99% of the people reading this thread don't even know what the hell a root kit is. They just know they are "bad" and they don't want one.

Mr_LoL
08-25-07, 01:50 AM
Well they have to try and stop their IP getting stolen I suppose. Can anyone here suggest a good metho of protection from hackers?

Darth Rancid
08-25-07, 01:52 AM
I'd like to know one person on this forum who has ever seriously been affected by a Video Game's copy protection. 99% of the people reading this thread don't even know what the hell a root kit is. They just know they are "bad" and they don't want one.

Seriously doesn't intrude to it. The copy protection doesn't affect piracy. Why should paying customers have to put up with ANY extra trouble.. serious or not?..

jcrox
08-25-07, 11:06 AM
Well they have to try and stop their IP getting stolen I suppose. Can anyone here suggest a good metho of protection from hackers?

(throwpc)

Jonelo
08-25-07, 11:12 AM
The game has been cracked and is out in the P2P....

radekhulan
08-25-07, 11:14 AM
The problem is, as it always is with copy protections:

It doesn't effect piracy.

In fact, DRM causes piracy (some of it)...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1353808&postcount=81
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1353879&postcount=90