PDA

View Full Version : Disk boot failure! HELP!

SH64
08-25-07, 09:18 PM
Ok heres the situation .. i'm dual booting in WinXP & Vista & everything was fine till i flashed my BIOS.
now i get a disk boot failure error at startup & before you ask , yeah i changed the boot priority back to HDD as 1st boot device. that still didnt work.

EDIT : Fixed!
i changed the HDDs boot priotity .. strange it was working before.

anyway phew i was about to lost my whole stuff in there :captnkill:

mods may aswell delete thread.

walterman
08-25-07, 09:50 PM
Nice that you fixed it.

Losing data is worse than burning hardware sometimes.

First thing that i remember after flashing a new bios, is that you must reload default values. Perhaps it was the problem.

SH64
08-25-07, 09:52 PM
Nice that you fixed it.

Losing data is worse than burning hardware sometimes.

First thing that i remember after flashing a new bios, is that you must reload default values. Perhaps it was the problem.
Yeah i was about to lose my heart with all the data i have in my HDDs.
before BIOS update i was able to switch HDD's priority with no problems at all.

jeffmd
08-25-07, 10:14 PM
long ago I had a bios update change the way a drive was detected (ie it was detected with the wrong settings originaly) thus changing the way the drive was read, lost the data on it. :( but that was way back in the pre-gig days.

beardstroke
08-25-07, 10:32 PM
Ok heres the situation .. i'm dual booting in WinXP & Vista & everything was fine till i flashed my BIOS.
now i get a disk boot failure error at startup & before you ask , yeah i changed the boot priority back to HDD as 1st boot device. that still didnt work.

EDIT : Fixed!
i changed the HDDs boot priotity .. strange it was working before.

anyway phew i was about to lost my whole stuff in there :captnkill:

mods may aswell delete thread.

If you install Vista first, and then create a second partition for WinXP, and then delete the Vista partition, your Hard drive boot loader becomes corrupted and you must reformat the whole drive.

Just something you should know if you happend to follow that process of installations / partitioning.

SH64
08-25-07, 11:59 PM
If you install Vista first, and then create a second partition for WinXP, and then delete the Vista partition, your Hard drive boot loader becomes corrupted and you must reformat the whole drive.

Just something you should know if you happend to follow that process of installations / partitioning.
Thanks for the info!
but thats assuming you install both OS's on one HDD right ?
i have each OS installed in different HDD so that wont affect me if i'm not mistaken ?
another question : you said "if you install Vista first" , what if i install XP first ? same result ?

beardstroke
08-26-07, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the info!
but thats assuming you install both OS's on one HDD right ?
i have each OS installed in different HDD so that wont affect me if i'm not mistaken ?
another question : you said "if you install Vista first" , what if i install XP first ? same result ?

If you have two HDs it don't apply to you I think, but don't quote me on that one ;p

If you installed XP first, you're good to go.